• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    My opinion only but I think there will be a two-tiered pricing for Pythons depending on whether they were the new Python as long as they're in production and the original Pythons which are no longer produced. It will be similar to M1 Garands and Carbines...correct, original guns vs. reimported examples with the import marks on them.

There will be variations in condition, finish, barrel length and dates of production for values of the originals but essentially they will hold higher values than the new Python.

I think you’re right. However at the likely street price point, I can get a set to store in the safe plus one to shoot. Then see what happens in 20+ years.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When the frenzy settles and these settle to "normal" prices, they should be around $1200 which is an awesome price point assuming decent quality. What do you think this will do to the values of older Pythons??

I don’t think you’ll see anything happen to the value of the original Pythons. For $1200 these are not going to be hand fitted/polished like the originals.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I've seen an opinion that due to CAD/CAM printing and assembly hand-fitting is really no longer required. The idea of "hand-fitting" is still a big selling point for the old Pythons though.

*****This. I know someone in the "industry" (he's a materials guy, asked for his expertise by various industries..) and the new Colt Python will take advantage of machinery and very specialized steels that were simply not available back in the "old" days. This was done to address issues with repeated Magnum loads causing problems with timing, and to insure better longevity to the force cone. The Python project was a collaborative effort to insure the new pistol exceeds the old in terms of feel, reliability, at a similar price point to the originals in inflation adjusted dollars.

It was my understanding they analyzed several dozen original Pythons and did a bunch of failure testing on them, studied what failed using a "failure matrix", and used advances in steel technology, plus a boatload of other engineering tech by folks in and out of the "gun" industry. The person I know was asked for advice on steel, as his "day" job is designing steel for aerospace applications and turbine technology used in very sophisticated machinery. He says the new steels used will outperform *any* steel from the olden days, and the precision and fit and ability of the steel to deal with thermal cycling, fatigue and other typical wear issues will allow for reliability in the gun.

The polishing on the internal parts is done using methods that were simply not possible at this price point a few years back, and esoteric stuff like steel grain at the molecular level using special microscopes and other scanners will insure every mechanism is dead nuts on, negating the need to "hand" fit anything.

This gun is on my short list as it sounds pretty cool for retro with modern materials and very sophisticated CAD/CAM printing and checks on the finished product. I think the price point is very very reasonable given the quality of the piece - I was expecting a significantly higher price point.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A local gun store is supposed to call me as soon as they get their first example...who knows how soon that will be. I did find an online retailer that has a few and have already ordered one and have the confirmation in hand...for $1335 plus shipping. Once it comes in I'll pay a store for the transfer and wait Maryland's seven-day jail until I get the MSP's official and infamous "Not Disapproved" notification.

If the other store gets one in...then I'll own two of the new ones.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    *****This. I know someone in the "industry" (he's a materials guy, asked for his expertise by various industries..) and the new Colt Python will take advantage of machinery and very specialized steels that were simply not available back in the "old" days. This was done to address issues with repeated Magnum loads causing problems with timing, and to insure better longevity to the force cone. The Python project was a collaborative effort to insure the new pistol exceeds the old in terms of feel, reliability, at a similar price point to the originals in inflation adjusted dollars.

It was my understanding they analyzed several dozen original Pythons and did a bunch of failure testing on them, studied what failed using a "failure matrix", and used advances in steel technology, plus a boatload of other engineering tech by folks in and out of the "gun" industry. The person I know was asked for advice on steel, as his "day" job is designing steel for aerospace applications and turbine technology used in very sophisticated machinery. He says the new steels used will outperform *any* steel from the olden days, and the precision and fit and ability of the steel to deal with thermal cycling, fatigue and other typical wear issues will allow for reliability in the gun.

The polishing on the internal parts is done using methods that were simply not possible at this price point a few years back, and esoteric stuff like steel grain at the molecular level using special microscopes and other scanners will insure every mechanism is dead nuts on, negating the need to "hand" fit anything.

This gun is on my short list as it sounds pretty cool for retro with modern materials and very sophisticated CAD/CAM printing and checks on the finished product. I think the price point is very very reasonable given the quality of the piece - I was expecting a significantly higher price point.

I have a real hard time swallowing that. They should have several decades worth of warranty data to pore over before they needed to resort to destructive testing on "several dozen" expensive originals.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have a real hard time swallowing that. They should have several decades worth of warranty data to pore over before they needed to resort to destructive testing on "several dozen" expensive originals.

Wouldn't it have been simpler to go over factory warranty repair records?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Wouldn't it have been simpler to go over factory warranty repair records?

****Dunno. The old guns are still available. Their cost is negligible in terms of getting them and doing whatever needs to be done to them - they are not that rare. Warranty data is fine, but I would imagine having the actual product to do stress testing using modern machinery and quantifying what breaks, and why it breaks would be important, if you want to build a better product. Perhaps to test new steels? Dunno. :shrug:

This type of testing is done in other fields (automobile, especially high performance F1, etc..). You run the product to failure, see what broke, and why it broke, and re-design until it meets a particular longevity goal, or to handle a certain HP load to get through a race, etc...

Apples to oranges, look at the failure testing on Glocks, Hk's, etc... some of the testing seems crazy to me, but my cheapie Glocks are very very reliable and always seem to go bang. Compared to other firearms out there, the Glocks are inexpensive and just flat out work. I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine many many of them were destroyed and run to failure before designing new generations. Technology changes, and though I am not a metals guy, folks that do sophisticated work with metals in aerospace or other such applications perhaps can contribute something to make a better revolver - having an actual product to test, that you are trying to copy and make improvements upon using more modern materials might (to a non engineer like me, anyways) be a not bad idea.

Whether they tested to failure one, or a dozen, or whatever number, and then rebuilt them using bionic parts from the future, or just chucked the remains in the dumpster - all that will really matter is how good the new one performs. The price point is awesome I think.

I for one am looking forward to when we can begin arguing with the old timers about how much better the originals were versus the new ones (or vice versa), and we can have camps of people on both sides arguing everything from fit to finish, accuracy, barrel length and impressing chicks, how much more money originals get, how much more original edition new ones will be worth in the future. Python cost appreciation over 10 years versus the S&P 500, Dow and possibly even the cost of gold and ammo versus a new/old Python if the SHTF and we have to use them as collateral for the new currency in the new economy (tulips, and MAGA hats).

I'm thinking *minimum* 500 posts on this thread once people start receiving their new, far superior in literally every single way, including impressing chicks/barrel length ratios versus the old Pythons. But, it's mostly jealousy on my part as I don't have an old Python, and have only shot several of my friends (their Pythons.. I don't shoot my friends..) guns and they are awesome! (but not as awesome as the new ones, which I have never shot, nor seen and handled in real life...) See !!! 500 posts here we come!!! :D

:party29:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There were over 600,000 Pythons made...they're not rare. That doesn't mean they're not worth a considerable amount of money as collectibles. Who knows how many Pythons Colt has in their facility just for such kind of testing and looking pretty worn. While certainly not a Python I handled a test gun back in 1994 at the Secret Service Matches that used to be held at the facility off Gunpowder Mill Road...the pistol was a .40 caliber polymer service pistol Colt was working on...the grip was all carved up changing its contours and had tape wrapped around it. As it turned out the pistol was never produced. What it shows is test guns have a hard life.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I don’t think you’ll see anything happen to the value of the original Pythons. For $1200 these are not going to be hand fitted/polished like the originals.

I'm not so sure. I think the new Python will initially make the collectible, original Python slightly less desirable to non-collectors now that there's an option to purchase one new. There will probably be a slight impact but, the original Python will always be the original Python to Colt collectors.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I'm not so sure. I think the new Python will initially make the collectible, original Python slightly less desirable to non-collectors now that there's an option to purchase one new. There will probably be a slight impact but, the original Python will always be the original Python to Colt collectors.

That’s fine if that happens. Opportunity to pick up a higher quality original (maybe unfitted) for better price while buying new ones as well.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    A local gun store is supposed to call me as soon as they get their first example...who knows how soon that will be. I did find an online retailer that has a few and have already ordered one and have the confirmation in hand...for $1335 plus shipping. Once it comes in I'll pay a store for the transfer and wait Maryland's seven-day jail until I get the MSP's official and infamous "Not Disapproved" notification.

If the other store gets one in...then I'll own two of the new ones.

One to shoot and one to keep NIB?

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Scroll down and take note of the restrictions at the bottom. Maryland is included!:sad20:

I can't image that it would in anyway be restricted in MD being all Pythons are on the roster. It probably will need the barrel lock being colt probably did not add an internal lock (ie. S&W Hillary Hole).

From the roster:

PYTHON ALL MODELS APPROVED. PLEASE ENTER MODEL NUMBER. 357 Mag

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Not sure how true this is but I heard today that Colt will not ship any to MD right now. Again not sure if its true but that's what the distributor told my FFL today on the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom