• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If she doers, you need a better lawyer.

:sad20:

I forget how many challenges each side gets.

Usually 20 Peremptory challenges in a capital case. Better hope it's not an "urban" jury pool. I was in a pool of over 100 brought before two attorneys.
    I answered correctly and was dismissed.. :D Some of the t-shirts I saw people arrive in, no questions were necessary.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016

USCCA covers everything including fists, this is from their blog. I used pencil as an example of an instrument of self defense.

"Just to be clear, that weapon does not have to be a gun. It can be another instrument. A gun is always considered deadly force, but “another instrument,” the intentional use of which would cause a high probability of death, also rises to the level of deadly force. That means fists and feet can meet the definition of a deadly weapon and any behavior, as long as people will reasonably believe the result will end in death or great bodily harm, also falls into this category."

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    USCCA covers everything including fists, this is from their blog. I used pencil as an example of an instrument of self defense.

"Just to be clear, that weapon does not have to be a gun. It can be another instrument. A gun is always considered deadly force, but “another instrument,” the intentional use of which would cause a high probability of death, also rises to the level of deadly force. That means fists and feet can meet the definition of a deadly weapon and any behavior, as long as people will reasonably believe the result will end in death or great bodily harm, also falls into this category."

Cool.

I will have a gun on me. And if I don't, pretty sure I will lose a gunfight if I only have a pencil. Of which, I would never take a pencil to a gunfight.

What kind of pencil will you have? The Ticonderoga #2 was always the best kind to use in pencil fighting back in middle school.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Cool.

I will have a gun on me. And if I don't, pretty sure I will lose a gunfight if I only have a pencil. Of which, I would never take a pencil to a gunfight.

What kind of pencil will you have? The Ticonderoga #2 was always the best kind to use in pencil fighting back in middle school.

A fine point mechanical pencil with the steel sleeve that protects the point is best. I accidentally stabbed myself in the hand with one when reaching into a pocket. Unpleasant.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Not sure what part of "weapon of opportunity" doesn't cover a pencil?

I guess you didn't read all the plans available.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 10.40.51 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 10.40.51 AM.jpg
      44.3 KB · Views: 316

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Looks like I only skimmed over CCW Safe, they might cover pencils as well. 500 dollars a year is hard to take though =(

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Looks like I only skimmed over CCW Safe, they might cover pencils as well. 500 dollars a year is hard to take though =(

This is for all of their plans. It's in their Terms of Service.

"Any self-defense shooting or use of force with any weapon or object or any legal firearm, even those weapons or objects outside the scope of your concealed carry permit, occurring in your “Residence Premises” during the commission of a crime against you, your family, or occupants of any place where you can legally possess a legal firearm and any self-defense shooting or use of force occurs with any weapon or object or any legal firearm, even those weapons or objects outside the scope of your concealed carry permit. A legal firearm includes any firearm that meets the applicable definition of “firearm” under state and federal laws."

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Make sure you read the fine print and know what kind you are getting on any policy. Some will only pay legal fees as a reimbursement to you after any court proceedings are over. You need to front the cash. That can be a very long time to be out 10 to 50 grand in legal fees, assuming you can come up with your own legal fees. And some will not pay if you are convicted of anything at all relating to an incident, let's say for instance you are charged with first-degree assault but take a plea to some far lesser misdemeanor to avoid a possibility of an unfriendly jury and jail time, even though you believe you are innocent. Also see if you get to pick your own lawyers if needed or if the insurance company does.

Normally I wouldn't worry so much about a criminal case being brought, in a perfect world such a case is likely only to be brought by a State's Attorney if indeed a person probably did do something criminal. However, I think the state has more than one State's Attorney who would happily throw an innocent citizen acting in self-defense under the bus if it furthered their political agenda. As we have seen in Baltimore, there are some who certainly don't hesitate to do it to police officers.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    i went with USCCA as well. If you use a firearm for self-defense at home, work, or wear and carry you need this protections!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Make sure you read the fine print and know what kind you are getting on any policy. Some will only pay legal fees as a reimbursement to you after any court proceedings are over. You need to front the cash. That can be a very long time to be out 10 to 50 grand in legal fees, assuming you can come up with your own legal fees. And some will not pay if you are convicted of anything at all relating to an incident, let's say for instance you are charged with first-degree assault but take a plea to some far lesser misdemeanor to avoid a possibility of an unfriendly jury and jail time, even though you believe you are innocent. Also see if you get to pick your own lawyers if needed or if the insurance company does.

I read every inch of the TOS of CCW SAFE. Also USCCA.

CCW covers everything if you are found guilty or if you even plea out. No CAP on representation from beginning to end and even through a civil trial. Everything paid from the beginning. And they send actual people out to your location to "hold your hand" basically. They use the "police Union(fraternity) model".

Everyone is welcome to read TOS on all the plans. The only thing with CCW, they provide the attorney. Not knowing any experienced attorneys in this field, I am ok with that. I think the other benefits outweigh being able to choose a lawyer.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Not sure what part of "weapon of opportunity" doesn't cover a pencil?

I guess you didn't read all the plans available.

****I'm amazed how much some of the top tier plans cost. Obviously, like all insurance, it comes down to likelihood of risk versus cost. I read American Rifleman and other magazines of the sort and their Armed Citizen page is one of my favorites to read. Other than some police officer friends, and people who served in the military during Vietnam, Desert Storm I, II, etc.. I've never known anyone who was involved in a shooting for a self defense scenario.

I pay a bit more for car insurance on a newer car per year for 150k/300k/150k coverage with towing, and a fairly large deductible.. I've had to use my car insurance before after my car was hit by an illegal here in MoCo not long ago.. Uninsured motorist, etc.. covered it. I have my insurance bundled so I get a discount, but the likelihood of car accident seems MUCH higher than being involved in a shooting.

I guess for peace of mind it might be ok, but it still seems really expensive for what it purports to do versus costs per year over say 15 years, in terms of opportunity cost of that money.

I'm not criticizing anyone who buys this insurance, everyone has their reasons, but I've taken the NRA's personal protection in the home, and had other paid training for CCW, gun safety, etc... I've spent tons of money on things others think is silly (pet insurance, sexual enhancers, Ukrainian wives, etc..) so I'm not consistently making the best choices on cost/risk, etc..

I guess all of this is moot anyways for me since losing all of my guns to an unfortunate boating accident some time back... :evilgrin3

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    ****I'm amazed how much some of the top tier plans cost. Obviously, like all insurance, it comes down to likelihood of risk versus cost. I read American Rifleman and other magazines of the sort and their Armed Citizen page is one of my favorites to read. Other than some police officer friends, and people who served in the military during Vietnam, Desert Storm I, II, etc.. I've never known anyone who was involved in a shooting for a self defense scenario.

I pay a bit more for car insurance on a newer car per year for 150k/300k/150k coverage with towing, and a fairly large deductible.. I've had to use my car insurance before after my car was hit by an illegal here in MoCo not long ago.. Uninsured motorist, etc.. covered it. I have my insurance bundled so I get a discount, but the likelihood of car accident seems MUCH higher than being involved in a shooting.

I guess for peace of mind it might be ok, but it still seems really expensive for what it purports to do versus costs per year over say 15 years, in terms of opportunity cost of that money.

I'm not criticizing anyone who buys this insurance, everyone has their reasons, but I've taken the NRA's personal protection in the home, and had other paid training for CCW, gun safety, etc... I've spent tons of money on things others think is silly (pet insurance, sexual enhancers, Ukrainian wives, etc..) so I'm not consistently making the best choices on cost/risk, etc..

I guess all of this is moot anyways for me since losing all of my guns to an unfortunate boating accident some time back... :evilgrin3

You do know you're comparing going through a possible murder trial to a car accident, right?

So you took an NRA class and some "CCW training". Well heck, you're good to go then. No chance of anything going awry with all that shooting experience.

I might have to look into some of that good training that prevents lawsuits. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom