• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So what happened to Philips Police Supply , they used to be the transfer point for DC buyers of rifles and shotguns ?

Jul 1, 2012
    Most recent ATF list (August) has only 6 active:

SYKES, CHARLES W JR
    SHAKESPEARE THEATRE INC
    KS SUPPLY
    WASHINGTON DRAMA CLUB INC
    SUGARMANN, JOSHUA ALAN
    BUREAU OF ATF (01, 08)

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    We deal with Mr. Sykes on a regular basis, and have discussed his operation at length.

The fees he charges reflect the costs and efforts he has had to go through just to stay in business, despite the best efforts of D.C. Government.

His office is in a government building, and they don't "give him desk space;" they charge him huge rent.

I'd say cut him some slack, without him, there are no FFLs in D.C..

Sidebar, his is a really nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Just want to agree with this.
    My multiple interactions with Mr. Sykes have all been very pleasant and he goes out of his way to help you. He will pick up firearms from local dealers, and will answer questions about the process with you. I find his service fees in line with living in DC. If we didn't have Mr. Sykes we'd be up a creek. For me, I'd rather give Mr. Sykes my $ and just chalk it up to the cost of firearms ownership.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Just want to agree with this.
    My multiple interactions with Mr. Sykes have all been very pleasant and he goes out of his way to help you. He will pick up firearms from local dealers, and will answer questions about the process with you. I find his service fees in line with living in DC. If we didn't have Mr. Sykes we'd be up a creek. For me, I'd rather give Mr. Sykes my $ and just chalk it up to the cost of firearms ownership.

On the one hand that's good to hear.

On the other hand, the narrative about Mr Sykes sounds ridiculous for a place the size of DC. From the outside looking in, it sounds like the nice little only firearms dealer in some little podunk town just west of BFE...

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I'd be a nice guy too if I was getting $125/transfer and only paying $100/month rent for my business. I understand that DC is an expensive place to live, but he charges almost double what you typically pay in Montgomery County and even more when compared to Fairfax (also expensive places to live). $125 is the max he is allowed to charge by current DC law. He also has a special exception for his business because, even though he's in MPD HQ, his "gun business" is too close to a church (DC zoning reg).

He also didn't do me any favors when I tried to buy a C&R M1 carbine from a fellow MDS member. The other MDS member called Sykes to get a "warm & fuzzy" before selling to a DC resident and Sykes told him it was "a bad idea". I consequently missed out on a gun that had the exact specs I've been looking for, for a very long time. His info was complete BS and there is no reason not to sell C&R to DC (assuming compliance with mag limits etc..) I guess us C&R holders are getting into his rice bowl.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'd be a nice guy too if I was getting $125/transfer and only paying $100/month rent for my business. I understand that DC is an expensive place to live, but he charges almost double what you typically pay in Montgomery County and even more when compared to Fairfax (also expensive places to live). $125 is the max he is allowed to charge by current DC law. He also has a special exception for his business because, even though he's in MPD HQ, his "gun business" is too close to a church (DC zoning reg).

He also didn't do me any favors when I tried to buy a C&R M1 carbine from a fellow MDS member. The other MDS member called Sykes to get a "warm & fuzzy" before selling to a DC resident and Sykes told him it was "a bad idea". I consequently missed out on a gun that had the exact specs I've been looking for, for a very long time. His info was complete BS and there is no reason not to sell C&R to DC (assuming compliance with mag limits etc..) I guess us C&R holders are getting into his rice bowl.

Well, at least he is not charging over the max he is allowed in DC.

Here in MD...
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ision/Firearms/RegulatedFirearmPurchases.aspx
    "Secondary Sales conducted by a licensed dealer may be assessed an additional $20 fee by the dealer."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom