• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I wanted to share my experience...

The other day I received a subpoena for court in PG county. I didn't know the defendant and the other side was the state of Maryland. The only information I had was that I could contact the states attorney's office for more information. So while waiting out the weekend I decided to look up the case online.

The only thing I found out is that the defendant had several charges against her including use of a stolen firearm.

When I talked to the states attorney Monday he told me that the handgun was stolen from a LGS after being rented. The suspect basically walked out with it. The LGS contacted the police immediately.

The police in PG county found the suspect leaving her home and confronted her. She reached for the gun in her waist band and they tackled her. She told the police she had planned on shooting her ex/boyfriend.

Where I come in: I sold the LGS the handgun some time ago and it was apparently rented to the suspect then stolen.

It was a nerve racking time between Friday and Monday as I already put two and two together and figured it out.

I don't want to mention names of people or businesses as I am sure they frequent here. From the sounds of it the LGS did what they were required to do and very quickly after noticing it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Odd...what are you going to testify to? The fact that you don't currently own the firearm? Unless firearm ownership was up for debate I'm not sure where you'd be needed.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm guessing it's to testify it was his gun previously and he legally sold it to the LGS to establish the chain of ownership. I don't think it was really necessary but I imagine the state wants to leave nothing to chance by the defense.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Basically this. The SA said that since I had the same story as the LGS I probably wouldn't be needed

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    And she probably was acquitted and released with a slap on the wrist. It is maryland after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    The Police did a trace on the gun, included in the report that you were a previous owner. States Attorney screened the report, your name was in it, you get summoned, simple as that. Very few cases result in an actual trial, I rate the chances of you testifying in that case (based off what your saying) at less than 1%. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I wanted to share my experience...

The other day I received a subpoena for court in PG county. I didn't know the defendant and the other side was the state of Maryland. The only information I had was that I could contact the states attorney's office for more information. So while waiting out the weekend I decided to look up the case online.

The only thing I found out is that the defendant had several charges against her including use of a stolen firearm.

When I talked to the states attorney Monday he told me that the handgun was stolen from a LGS after being rented. The suspect basically walked out with it. The LGS contacted the police immediately.

The police in PG county found the suspect leaving her home and confronted her. She reached for the gun in her waist band and they tackled her. She told the police she had planned on shooting her ex/boyfriend.

Where I come in: I sold the LGS the handgun some time ago and it was apparently rented to the suspect then stolen.

It was a nerve racking time between Friday and Monday as I already put two and two together and figured it out.

I don't want to mention names of people or businesses as I am sure they frequent here. From the sounds of it the LGS did what they were required to do and very quickly after noticing it.

Didn't know you could rent guns from stores, unless you are referring to a gun range!!!!!
    And as far as mentioning names can we get a case # for a follow up on outcome?

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Kathy Szeliga was just on Fox45 saying she’s proposing (?) making gun theft a felony, vs currently being a misdemeanor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Until our system stops letting criminals off for offenses, does it really matter if a misdemeanor or a felony?

Its not going to stop the large population of felons that already have firearms in their possession or obtaining them.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Until our system stops letting criminals off for offenses, does it really matter if a misdemeanor or a felony?

Its not going to stop the large population of felons that already have firearms in their possession or obtaining them.

She tried to make the point that stealing a gun was because they intended to commit more crime. I don’t recall if she used the word ‘violence’, but I’m guessing she’s trying to rationalize the felony aspect?

IANAL, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Maryland GA Democrats turned that proposal down last year.

Gotta love the cognitive dissonance.

Criminal stealing firearm to presumably commit more violent crimes = misdemeanor

Law abiding member of society carrying a firearm for self defense (without the crown’s permission) = felony

At what point do laws become so detached from absolute morality that the government’s contract with society is broken? Death penalty for wearing a MAGA hat? Infraction for beating a Trump voter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom