• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugLaden

Mar 8, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    If this has been discussed before, please link me. Searching under .22 and AR isn't bringing up much.

Do "AR-like" .22 caliber rifles fall under the Liberal gun grab agenda? I'm about to buy an AR, but I'm wondering if I should get something like this:

http://shop.baltimoresbestpawn.com/...-sport-gsg-16-22lr-1625-22rd-blackgerggsg1622

When SHTF, and we are in a CW, would one of these and a backpack full of .22 hollow-point ammo be just as effective? .22 is a lot cheaper than .223 when it comes to stocking up...

Or should I just go for it, buy a .223 AR, and hope that it isn't grabbed in the future?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If you're worried about future restrictions, get a decent HBAR AR in 5.56 now.

If you want a good semi in .22 LR, get a Ruger 10-22. It's the best bang for the buck, especially compared to an AR-style 22 LR.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If one anticipates a Civil War and participating in it, which your thread title and original post imply, why would you have willingly given up an AR-15 in .223/5.56?

Just get the MD legal HBAR AR-15 for now, and save your nickels and dimes for a Ruger 10/22 purchase in the future.

Please keep in mind that there's a chance (unfortunately) that come October 1, 2020 that all long gun purchases in MD will be more difficult, worst case being the requirement of a long gun qualification license comparable to the current HQL.

ETA: agree with DutchV's prior post

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Nice thing about a real AR-22 is it can be converted to centerfire with just an upper (or vice versa). Not talking about the bad clones that only resemble ARs. You can of course just put a .22 conversion in an existing AR but you need to shoot 5.56mm out of it regularly to prevent the gas tube hole in the barrel from clogging up (ask me how I know). If you build it right you can make an AR-22 that is just as light as a 10/22, and almost as light as a S&W 15-22 w/VQ CF barrel. And they can be just as reliable if you use the right mags and ammo. Cost can be equal assuming you are comparing rifles made for the same purpose. A serious competition 10/22 or AR-22 will not be cheap however. I have built rimfire competition versions of just about every platform available, Ruger 10/22, S&W 15-22, AR-22, and Rem 597. More choices in the build with the 10/22 but that does not make it the best necessarily.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Rifles and .22s serve different purposes most of the time, even if there is the ability for overlap. If you don't have a rifle, start with that. 22 lr is certainly a capable little shell, but its apples to watermelons...

That said, I'm waiting for SHOT before I buy anything new. Keltec has been doing interesting things in rim fire, and I'm hoping S&W brings back a pistol 15/22. And of course theres Ruger.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If this has been discussed before, please link me. Searching under .22 and AR isn't bringing up much.

Do "AR-like" .22 caliber rifles fall under the Liberal gun grab agenda? I'm about to buy an AR, but I'm wondering if I should get something like this:

http://shop.baltimoresbestpawn.com/...-sport-gsg-16-22lr-1625-22rd-blackgerggsg1622

When SHTF, and we are in a CW, would one of these and a backpack full of .22 hollow-point ammo be just as effective? .22 is a lot cheaper than .223 when it comes to stocking up...

Or should I just go for it, buy a .223 AR, and hope that it isn't grabbed in the future?

Buy the .223 AR and don’t hope, WORK to fight this crap in Annapolis (or wherever you are)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Either way you need to feed it, they might go after us in different ways, plan accordingly.

Sirex