• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hddeuce03

Mar 29, 2018
    Hey all,

I'm looking for a place to have things I buy online shipped to for a reasonable price. I used to use Jones Securities in Pasadena. Charlie only charged me $30 for the FFL transfer fee. Charlie from Jones is no longer so I'm looking for someplace else. I called a place in Pasadena and they wanted $60 for me to ship an AR-15 lower receiver. I think that's way too much. I live in Cape St. Claire, is there anywhere near me that will charge closer to the $30 I'm used to? I'm willing to travel across the bridge as well.

Thanks!

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Fyi, more and more FFLs are being squeezed. Can't sell mags (well, ovet 10 rounds anyway), can't sell certain long guns, lot'sa people who shop for handguns don't have an HQL...which will preclude many from buying and yet others from impulse buying. Then throw in big box stores like Bass Pro and Dick's....then everyone want to buy parts and accessories online at prices just above wholesale. Finally, add high rents, high taxes, and higher than normal wages throughout the area, then add the need for a brick and morter location before Md will license you for selling regulated firearms...you have a recipe for gun stores to be squeezed out of business. And try to get Dicks and BP to do transfers. And yeah, they'll put out loss leaders on some common firearms, but really aren't all that cheap otherwise plus customer service sucks. The only way gun stores are surviving, even with higher transfer fees, is by doing something else along with the firearms business...like pawn, training, or gunsmithing. Even at that, I can tell you most aren't exactly getting rich and, if they are, it's not on gun sales alone. Pretty much to find lower transfer fees, you have to get outside of higer costs areas. Even then, think about how many transfer fees at just 30 dollars are needed to just pay a 2 or 3k rent which us a very cheap rent in many areas. Also, keep in mind that the more transactions that are handled, the more man hours that go into maintaining books and processing 77Rs. There are probably still a few 'table top' FFLs in less populated areas, but Maryland won't license them with a store front so no regulated firearms sales...at least in state (they can transfer handgun consignment out of state). Typically, such low fees come about for a time when a gunstore opens. It helps bring in new customers. After a while they are forced to raise their fees and perhaps refuse to do transfers if they can acquire the firearm from their own sources. Also, be aware that some are charging transfer fees....then collecting tax on the already paid for items. To be sure, Md law states the tax is a sales or acquisition tax. But I believe (speculation on my part) that the so called sales tax is being pocketed as many stores don't charge it (how do they even really know what was paid anyway?).. Can't blame anyone for finding their best deals, but these are the facts. Good luck. You may find someone is is cheaper than others even if not as cheap as you like.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    Jones securities might be gone but the shop is still open under new ownership. Fire for Effect is the name. Transfers are $40.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Blue Fins an IP can handle your transfer. They are quick easy and reasonable for MD Shooters.
    If he decides to go that far, he can also check Tylers Firearms in Halethorpe. Chuck gives some kinda break to mdshooters or at least did. Don't kniw his current charges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom