• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I believe they are made by Umarex (or at least Umarex-like quality.) Generally, airsoft quality that shoots a .22LR. They're fun shooters, but don't buy expecting an investment-grade firearm.

For around the same money, I'd buy a Ruger 10/22. Highly adaptable, upgradeable, and customizable, and will last a lifetime. Swap out the barrel, stock, and trigger, and you can give an Anschutz a run for its money.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I believe they are made by Umarex (or at least Umarex-like quality.) Generally, airsoft quality that shoots a .22LR. They're fun shooters, but don't buy expecting an investment-grade firearm.

For around the same money, I'd buy a Ruger 10/22. Highly adaptable, upgradeable, and customizable, and will last a lifetime. Swap out the barrel, stock, and trigger, and you can give an Anschutz a run for its money.

manufactured exclusively by Walther under license from HK.
    and I believe imported by Umarex

Already have a 10/22 and a Sig 522 just looking for something different

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have one and I love it. I put a NCstar red dot on it(co-witnessed). Great plinker!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Basically the same as a GSG. They are magnesium type guns that we fragile and VERY hard to take down to clean and service.

Personally In think Umarex. 22s are the worst .22s made.

If you want a well made .22 rifle then stick with CZ and Savage Bolt Guns, S&W M&P 15-22, and 10/22 Autos. The SIG 522 isn't that bad either

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Basically the same as a GSG. They are magnesium type guns that we fragile and VERY hard to take down to clean and service.

If you want a well made .22 rifle then stick with CZ and Savage Bolt Guns, S&W M&P 15-22, and 10/22 Autos. The SIG 522 isn't that bad either

Actually they're solid and very well made. Buddy has a mp5 22 and 416. I have a 416. Very easy to clean, rugged, and accurate for the platform. A lot of fun to shoot and not finicky at all on ammo.
    They aren't on par with a 522, but weren't made to be. Neither are SW's. 522's are also a polymer lower.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Actually they're solid and very well made. Buddy has a mp5 22 and 416. I have a 416. Very easy to clean, rugged, and accurate for the platform. A lot of fun to shoot and not finicky at all on ammo.
    They aren't on par with a 522, but weren't made to be. Neither are SW's. 522's are also a polymer lower.

We have vastly differing experiences then. I stopped working on them as a Smith because they were so cheaply made and I stand behind my work.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    We have vastly differing experiences then. I stopped working on them as a Smith because they were so cheaply made and I stand behind my work.

Agree to disagree. Fair enough. Just curious, what problems did you have? Friends who have the SW's show some very bad wear on the plastic uppers and lowers and are getting frustrated. I'm cruising along after 7,000 rounds.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck

I will totally agree with you here. I have a GSG-522. It is a total pain in the keister to take apart to clean. Granted, I've had no problems....yet (knock on wood) but I know they're coming.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Agree to disagree. Fair enough. Just curious, what problems did you have? Friends who have the SW's show some very bad wear on the plastic uppers and lowers and are getting frustrated. I'm cruising along after 7,000 rounds.

They are probably showing wea because they are running them dry or running some snake oil if I had to guess.

I have worked on enough Clamshell and Magnesium made Umarex/GSG/HK/Colt .22s to know that they are not easy for the average user to completely strip and clean. The magnesium and plastic parts tend to break easily, the screws strip out, and the tiny parts inside love to get lost. They require tools to strip unlike the S& 15-22 rifle. The plastic design of the 15-22 is heads and tails more durable than magnesium made .22's.

Pistols like the Walther P22 and SIG Mosquito are also junk in my experience.

I have tried to help enough owners of these guns to know that they are budget plinkers that won't last the test of time and use.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    They are probably showing wea because they are running them dry or running some snake oil if I had to guess.

I have worked on enough Clamshell and Magnesium made Umarex/GSG/HK/Colt .22s to know that they are not easy for the average user to completely strip and clean. The magnesium and plastic parts tend to break easily, the screws strip out, and the tiny parts inside love to get lost. They require tools to strip unlike the S& 15-22 rifle. The plastic design of the 15-22 is heads and tails more durable than magnesium made .22's.

Pistols like the Walther P22 and SIG Mosquito are also junk in my experience.

I have tried to help enough owners of these guns to know that they are budget plinkers that won't last the test of time and use.

The wear I see on their SW's is normal polymer wear and breakage, especially in winter. Snake oils or lube don't factor in to plastic pieces, as the manual they showed me rightly said do not lube the plastics.
    The magnesium as you call it is actually a newer zinc alloy, a distant relative to the old "pot metal" I've heard some folks call it. No where near the same alloy though. It's used all over industry and many types of products. Much tougher (tougher and harder are two different things) than aluminum and much cheaper to manufacture with. The high pressure injection molding and sintering used today blows away the old styles of processing.
    You must really have some strange customers to not be able to disassemble and clean these rifles, as they only have a few parts to worry about. If you're fully disassembling it, you don't know what you're doing. As to stripping out threads, well, there aren't any in the alloys, just SHCS's and nuts, so that's weird too.
    Anschutz might use extruded and anodized aluminum, but for these plinkers applications a zinc alloy is fine and will last a long time.
    True these are just overpriced fun little plinkers, but these folks at my club have given up on the plastics of SW and Mossberg and the like. They just don't hold up for more than a few years. The really funny part is seeing a few more hundred dollars in "upgrades" hanging off of a plastic 22!!

89GLH

Jan 26, 2012
    I've been told not to buy a .22 that doesn't look like a space gun. The Buckmark or Ruger are the safest bets.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The wear I see on their SW's is normal polymer wear and breakage, especially in winter. Snake oils or lube don't factor in to plastic pieces, as the manual they showed me rightly said do not lube the plastics.
    The magnesium as you call it is actually a newer zinc alloy, a distant relative to the old "pot metal" I've heard some folks call it. No where near the same alloy though. It's used all over industry and many types of products. Much tougher (tougher and harder are two different things) than aluminum and much cheaper to manufacture with. The high pressure injection molding and sintering used today blows away the old styles of processing.
    You must really have some strange customers to not be able to disassemble and clean these rifles, as they only have a few parts to worry about. If you're fully disassembling it, you don't know what you're doing. As to stripping out threads, well, there aren't any in the alloys, just SHCS's and nuts, so that's weird too.
    Anschutz might use extruded and anodized aluminum, but for these plinkers applications a zinc alloy is fine and will last a long time.
    True these are just overpriced fun little plinkers, but these folks at my club have given up on the plastics of SW and Mossberg and the like. They just don't hold up for more than a few years. The really funny part is seeing a few more hundred dollars in "upgrades" hanging off of a plastic 22!!

Well said....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I also own a Walther P22 and a Sig Mosquito and have never had any problems with either one..

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    I have a friend who's got the HK licensed one (can't remember if HK acutally made it or just pawned it off to someone else). we're looking to take it out sometime soon and pair it against a stock 10/22.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I own the HK version, I am the second owner. I have about 5000 rounds through mine. It is a fun gun, its one of those you take out to plink with and have fun and are not doing anything too serious. If you get eh one with the collapsible stock it definitely is not a training gun due to inconsistent cheek weld. But fun factor I give it 8.5 out of 10. Field striping is not too bad pretty much tool-less on the HK one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sstrum

Latest threads

Top Bottom