.260 Remington (bolt-action), tips/advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Called cussing when I do that! ;)

Nice groups! Yeah, looks like your rifle likes that Varget/120 combo. Watching this thread with interest. Looking forward to working with some 260Rem. loads this spring.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Called Flyer ? Is that a shooting Mulligan??

Don't know if it'd be considered a mulligan, but I knew when the shots broke that they were off.

Top target, the 4th shot was the flyer, got excited and pushed it. Bottom target, 1st shot I broke it on the exhale, sending it high.

Yeah, I may have done some cursing when those shots went. Without those 2 bad shots, would've been nice groups for a new(ish) build.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I'm currently shopping for a 260 platform to start with. I'm leaning towards the Tikka T3 CTR just over the Savage 12LRP. I want a threaded barrel to start and the Tikka action, supposedly makes the Savage feel like dragging a bowling ball through a culvert pipe..... I cant wait to see.:D
    Nice groups BTW

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I'm currently shopping for a 260 platform to start with. I'm leaning towards the Tikka T3 CTR just over the Savage 12LRP. I want a threaded barrel to start and the Tikka action, supposedly makes the Savage feel like dragging a bowling ball through a culvert pipe..... I cant wait to see.:D
    Nice groups BTW

I had the LRP and it's a great rifle. I would still have it if an AI didn't come into my life.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Nice groups BTW

The Tikka action puts most to shame. Mine is literally like hot snot down a chrome nostril smooth.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Those last 3 posts don't help guys, I barely get this rifle shooting decent and here you all come planting seeds for a next purchase/build. Bad influences!! ;)

Actually, I have to admit that I've been tempted to squirrel away for a Surgeon or McMillan G30 action and build off that.

Just a dream for now though.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Those last 3 posts don't help guys, I barely get this rifle shooting decent and here you all come planting seeds for a next purchase/build. Bad influences!! ;)

Actually, I have to admit that I've been tempted to squirrel away for a Surgeon or McMillan G30 action and build off that.

Just a dream for now though.
    Keep workin, I need some good loads sorted out for when I get mine:D. What are the specs on your rifle?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Shilen 26" Stainless barrel, 1:8 twist, S7 (Varmint) contour.
    Savage 10FP-LE short-action with accu-trigger. Converted from 24" .223Rem.
    Bell & Carlson A5 Medalist stock.
    PTG spiral flute bolt body, slightly oversized to remove some of the play in the action.
    Glades Armory extended bolt handle.
    20-MOA EGW base.
    Warne Maxima steel rings.
    Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm FFP (ML-16 reticle) - planning to upgrade in the near future to something with more magnification.

It'll also go down to CDi Precision in the near future for a bottom-metal install - already have AICS magazines, just need the bottom-metal done on this particular stock.

Last edited:

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    DAMN, you're not playin around...... nice rig! I just ordered the T3 CTR to start. I'm paying for a 30P-1 tomorrow. I'll be watching for progress. Getting ready for another steep learning curve myself......:party29:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thank you, for a home build it's doing pretty well. And it only seems to do better and better as I get acclimated to it.

I still need to get the velocities on these loads, and thanks to another member on the board I have some Federal Gold Medal Match primers to try out.

The learning curve isn't too bad, may get lucky like I have and just stumble onto a winning combination for your rifle. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I need to step away from the bench. I just spent entirely too much time weighing each casing, bullet and powder charge on a batch I just rolled out. Didn't weigh the primers though. I think I may be developing a problem...

But on the plus side, this batch has less than 1 grain variation on the casings and bullet, and 0 variation on the powder charge.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm confident these should do well. Eventually I'm going to have start getting the velocities on these so I can work out the ballistic tables.

39.6gr Varget had me in the 2940-2960 range, so 39.8gr Varget should have me just a touch higher.

This caliber and rifle have just become a joy to shoot.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I'm confident these should do well. Eventually I'm going to have start getting the velocities on these so I can work out the ballistic tables.

39.6gr Varget had me in the 2940-2960 range, so 39.8gr Varget should have me just a touch higher.

This caliber and rifle have just become a joy to shoot.

Ha Ha I told you so!

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Shot mine today...... Very excited about it. 5 rounds sight in at 50yrds than 3 shot group right at 1/2" @100 yrds (fusion 120's)with a 20 year old tasco world class. Can't wait to roll my own and play with the cool kids.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 167

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I find it funny that Federal Fusion - something that's marketed and sold as HUNTING ammunition, does under an 1" out of the box. Who would expect that?

Night and day difference from Remington Core-Lokt ammo, in any caliber I've shot it in so far.

**I'll have to retest my batches again, my shooting was off today - but the chrony readings have me scratching my head, they shouldn't have read slow like they did today.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm out for a while, rifle took a fall, scope is out of commission - beyond repair.

For the record, Falcon Menace optics, save your money and buy something better. I've got Center-Point's that have taken more of a beating and didn't self-destruct.

10906425_10206064370397707_9209689100957170397_n.jpg

Keen eyes will note that the scope body is the same that's used on the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP, so if you have one - try not to let the rifle fall on it. ;)

Last edited:

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I just came over here from scope shopping. The SWFA SS 10 power seems to be the current leader. I have lapua brass on the way with nosler 123's coming. I have varget/rel 15/ar comp/h4350 to workup with. Wolf primers. I'm curious how different my velocities will be from yours with much less barrel. I'm gonna be a few weeks but I will post back up when I get moving on this..... Sorry to hear about your optic.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom