So... You Want To Reload? Questions to answer before taking the plunge.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You can speed up the process if you use a powder measure/thrower. The Lyman #55 is the one I use. No dipping, just set it and go.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Does anyone have a cost breakdown to were you would actually see the benefit of reloading? For example at what point would your break even for a single stage/turret/progressive set up? In that I would assume there would be a breakdown of avg cost per round to reload by caliber. It seems like with prices at 40c a round for 223 you could recoup your reloading cost pretty quickly.

Also it was mentioned that it can be more challenging to switch calibers with a progressive press. I have been exploring the options of a progressive set up but I would only want to do so if I could reload realistically reload 223/9/40/45 with the set up. This looks like it could be a great sticky for new reloaders, thanks for the information.

http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Loading .45 on a progressive press, I save about $300 per hour OR I make $300 per hour reloading. If you make more than $300 per hour, don't reload. :)

But even with amortizing the cost of the press and such, figure the first 3 - 4 hours pays for the equipment, then after that, you can making money.

For match rifle rounds, on my single stage, overall it is still probably worth it. I have not done a complete time breakdown for loading rifle rounds.

But the other thing is, reloading is cathartic. It is relaxing, a way to get away from everyday stuff. To me, that is worth a LOT.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Tremendous resource. I have read and grok'd. This honestly sounds very relaxing, like a good thing to do before bed...

As a new reloader it is relaxing once you get setup. It is time consuming to get setup. Reloading isn't like anything I have done . You have to be very meticulous as you are dealing with a controlled explosion in your hand. People on this site will help you if you do decide to reload.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've been getting into USPsA shooting and am really burning up some 9mm. I think I need to get into reloading, great thread. Maybe Santa will bring me a Dillion for Xmas...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thank you sir! Let's hope that nobody gets upset with the record I'm probably going to set sometime soon, for all the sticky threads I created or helped create.

By the way, every year or so I think about getting into reloading, and have thoroughly appreciated your thread here. I bumped into another MDS member (friend) this weekend while I was buying some ammo. He joked about 'why not reload', he reloads. Found myself back here revising your awesome thread/sticky! I especially like your 'ask yourself these questions first'; and again, I conclude, reloading is not for me, at least not now.

So, thanks DA for being one of the most prolific content providers on MDShooters, its people like you and the dozen or so that enjoy researching and posting informative threads like this that helps to keep MDShooters a very special and popular place!

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Not to jack this excellent thread but I just stopped into Greentop on my way through the Richmond area. They didn't have the LeverEvolution I was looking for but they did have pretty much every other powder I could think of. I'd say I likely have enough ingredients now to start pulling the lever on my RCBS again in earnest. Plus, they are about the nicest folks you could want to talk with. I did have to look away as I walked by their used handgun counter...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    By the way, every year or so I think about getting into reloading, and have thoroughly appreciated your thread here. I bumped into another MDS member (friend) this weekend while I was buying some ammo. He joked about 'why not reload', he reloads. Found myself back here revising your awesome thread/sticky! I especially like your 'ask yourself these questions first'; and again, I conclude, reloading is not for me, at least not now.

So, thanks DA for being one of the most prolific content providers on MDShooters, its people like you and the dozen or so that enjoy researching and posting informative threads like this that helps to keep MDShooters a very special and popular place!
    Not sure if I am helping you or hurting you, in regards to your decision on if you should/shouldn't reload.

I appreciate your words of thanks and encouragement. If you ever want to check out the process on a manually indexing progressive, the door is always open.

We'll link up soon for the Bill Drill rematch. :D

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    This is where I'm at on my first batch of 9mm, assuming the pound of Unique is good for 1,000 rounds (and I think it will last a little longer). Is this ballpark or did I overpay for any component? Got everything from Cabela's when they had the free shipping and $20 off which paid the hazmat fee.

One thing this shows me is that the real savings, at least for 9mm, comes from getting the cases for free. If you have to buy cases for $30/1000 you may as well buy factory ammo because your costs of raw materials are too high.

Attachments

• 9mm reload.JPG
      9mm reload.JPG
      16.5 KB · Views: 308

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    This is where I'm at on my first batch of 9mm, assuming the pound of Unique is good for 1,000 rounds (and I think it will last a little longer). Is this ballpark or did I overpay for any component? Got everything from Cabela's when they had the free shipping and $20 off which paid the hazmat fee.

One thing this shows me is that the real savings, at least for 9mm, comes from getting the cases for free. If you have to buy cases for $30/1000 you may as well buy factory ammo because your costs of raw materials are too high.

Your logic on the cases is flawed. If you spend $30 for 1k cases, that brings each case down to about 3 cents each. You get 5 load cycles off of each piece of brass, before you throw it. That brings the price per piece of brass down to a fraction of a penny. If you really want to get technical and add money for the cases, add one penny per round, so now you are at 13 cents per round.

Just a random thought for you. There are roughly 7000 grains per pound, when it comes to powder. Might want to take that into account with your calculations.

Otherwise, everything looks good to go. If you are happy with the result, that is the only thing that matters.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I guess the true comparison is figuring the cases are free when pricing out raw materials for reloads, but deducting the value of the cases when comparing the price of factory ammo. For example, I can buy factory 9mm from SG for $200/1000 and get $30 worth of brass that I could sell so my real cost is $170/1000 for factory ammo. So I compare $170 to the $122 cost to reload and I save almost $50/1000. This is helpful in knowing how long it takes reloading equipment to pay for itself.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I guess the true comparison is figuring the cases are free when pricing out raw materials for reloads, but deducting the value of the cases when comparing the price of factory ammo. For example, I can buy factory 9mm from SG for $200/1000 and get $30 worth of brass that I could sell so my real cost is $170/1000 for factory ammo. So I compare $170 to the $122 cost to reload and I save almost $50/1000. This is helpful in knowing how long it takes reloading equipment to pay for itself.

That isn't really accurate to state it that way.

You are comparing your ammo against what is standard store bought ammo. You are welcome do do exactly that and see that it will take you a long time to get the cost of the equipment back, or you can compare it to top tier/match ammo and get a true comparison for the price. You are essentially making top tier/match ammo, for less than the price of mass produced ammo. When you compare the prices like that, you will see a stark difference in when you will recoup your investment on your equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom