• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    thank you for this info. I have a couple of these and it is constant irritation to find the right key... I thought about having locksmith rekey to all the same, this seems like another good option, but I would also fear that when I need fast access, my battery would be dead.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Just following up; I don’t want to mess anyone else up but, based on the StackOn cabinet I received (this one, via SquareGrouper’s much appreciated post!
    I just got one of these from Wallymart. Price was right and shipping is included.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On...us-Portable-Case-Value-Savings-of-29/55662417

I have to re-order and get the 30mm version of that digital keypad lock -

- I went to install the 20mm last night and all went well (even drilling the two 3.3mm “anchor screw” holes at their precise and respective points!) and dang if the 20mm shaft does NOT project quite far enough into the cabinet interior for the locking “paddle” to clear the inside edge of the interior doorframe!

Figure I can find a way to shim one surface or another to take out any “slack” in using the 30mm ... we shall see!

As soon as it dries up outside I intend to set to work fabricatingbsome padded barrel rests and trashing the adhesive-backed foam barrel rests that came with the cabinet ...

Still, and again, Thanks! “platekiller” for the heads up on this digital option!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Since there was a bit of folks who liked the idea of my safe lock change I figured I would make a thread. I took a couple extra pics. I would buy the L20 not 30 although mine is the 30 and it’s a little loose. Mine is for HD guns so kids can’t get them.

Link to the lock I got:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H85S8CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Mqs6FbH2Z3FR8?psc=1

platekiller, THANK YOU AGAIN for sharing this keypad hack - stellar idea and dinosaurs woulda roamed the Earth before I’d’ve ever thought up anything like it, on my own!

Just one note: there are obviously some variations between all the different cabinets as the $139 StackOn I received via WalMart (using the link provided by Welder :party29: in the sister thread to this one, with portable lock box included) the 30mm keypad lock fit and works perfectly whereas the 20mm didn’t quite allow the cabinet “lock bar” to rotate into locked position.

Also got my “modular” barrel rests finished and inside the cabinet - make it a snap to move bbl rests up and down for the entire range of different firearm overall lengths. :cool:

Thank you again :party29: - these cabinets solved a big “temporary / short term” storage dilemma for me as far as having guests pass through the basement area where my shop takes up the entire level, on their way to and from the backside of the house ...

Attachments

• 0BB4BE94-C391-47A3-89FD-243448BE4F6A.jpeg
      0BB4BE94-C391-47A3-89FD-243448BE4F6A.jpeg
      39.6 KB · Views: 230

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    platekiller, THANK YOU AGAIN for sharing this keypad hack - stellar idea and dinosaurs woulda roamed the Earth before I’d’ve ever thought up anything like it, on my own!

Just one note: there are obviously some variations between all the different cabinets as the $139 StackOn I received via WalMart (using the link provided by Welder :party29: in the sister thread to this one, with portable lock box included) the 30mm keypad lock fit and works perfectly whereas the 20mm didn’t quite allow the cabinet “lock bar” to rotate into locked position.

Also got my “modular” barrel rests finished and inside the cabinet - make it a snap to move bbl rests up and down for the entire range of different firearm overall lengths. :cool:

Thank you again :party29: - these cabinets solved a big “temporary / short term” storage dilemma for me as far as having guests pass through the basement area where my shop takes up the entire level, on their way to and from the backside of the house ...

Good deal. Sorry I lead you astray with the 20mm vs 30mm. Mine has play but I’m only have it because the kids and they can’t get in.

I like those barrel rests. I might have to do something like that for my main safe. I have a magnetic barrel rest I got from tractor supply years ago and I just used that. It keeps the 2 ARs from hitting each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    My Stack-On served me well for years, but reality is 1 man could carry it off.
    but now serves as a decoy.
    Yes keep the guns locked so easy access is not an issue.
    But "deception" is your best guard against theft.

That’s a good idea. Personally, I’m not as worried about someone taking my stuff as I am the kids (I teach them gun safety and all but never hurts to be extra careful). I was thinking about getting another for my coat closet.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Great idea! Thanks! I ordered one to try it out and it works great but only 1 problem. Mine did not come with instructions so if anyone who got the instructions could scan or take a picture of them and post them it would be very helpful. I’m not holding out hope for Amazon to help with this as I see a few reviews saying they didn’t get instructions either.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    I had to drill out the lock on one of my Stack-on cabinets today. Was really happy to find this thread in a search, and just ordered one of the L30 locks from Amazon. Thanks for the info and pics OP!

Last edited:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I had to drill out the lock on one of my Stack-on cabinets today. Was really happy to find this thread in a search, and just ordered one of the L30 locks from Amazon. Thanks for the info and pics OP!
    They do seem to have very rough key locks. Even graphite doesn't seem to help.

BUffaloSocks

Dec 2, 2021
    Frederick Co
    While not a lock modification, I had a safe but wanted an ammo locker. This worked great to keep calibers seperate. I took aluminum angle and pine boards. Riveted the angle to the sides and there we go! This is an older image when I first did it, since then the bottom area has an AR mag holder which works great.

IMG_20170522_215130495.jpg

josnyder

Jun 14, 2022
    Maryland
    While not a lock modification, I had a safe but wanted an ammo locker. This worked great to keep calibers seperate. I took aluminum angle and pine boards. Riveted the angle to the sides and there we go! This is an older image when I first did it, since then the bottom area has an AR mag holder which works great.

View attachment 378558
    Wow, that's safe is beautiful. I need one like that. Have any extras laying around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom