• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Having been around for a while longer than some, I have an older Smith M42, Centennial Airweight, which is DAO but super smooth to extract from a pocket. Also have a Model 38, Bodyguard Airweight, which is an odd-looking thing with a hump back, but it has the capability to shoot single action as well as double action. If you feel you must have that 6th round, an alloy-frame Colt with a hammer shroud is a nice option.

158gr wadcutters shoot to point of aim in the Smiths, and I suppose they're pretty effective on meat targets, certainly far better than the lead round nose bullets. Buffalo Bore makes hard cast wadcutters, as well as the SWCHP flying ashtray round, with low-flash powder and significantly greater muzzle energy expressly for snubbies if you're feeling insecure about 38spl ballistics.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I carried a S&W442 many years ago, it's a good revolver, but not really any more comfortable in the pocket or reliable than many of the new small autos. That G43 is probably not much bigger, but probably slimmer. My P365 and Kahr PM9 are close to the same size, and pocket carry in cargo pants/shorts well enough. I used to have an LCP, and didn't really like it, crappy trigger, snappy recoil. My current lazy day pocket pistol is a CW380, it's tiny, .75" thick and shockingly shootable with FAR less recoil than the LCP, only downside is that it's ammo sensitive, anything XTP, V-crown or Gold dot based is 100%, but it won't feed some other brands reliably. In all fairness the 442 wasn't totally reliable either, with +p ammo some brands would pull the bullet and lock the cylinder, not a jam you can easily clear vs simple tap rack bang with an auto.

Attachments

• 20191008_104930.jpg
      20191008_104930.jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 330
    • 20191008_104839.jpg
      20191008_104839.jpg
      27.2 KB · Views: 329

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For consideration only, I have no direct experience here... The LCR is available in .327. With ammo being in short supply right now, .327 is about the same price as anything else and you're competing against fewer buyers.

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    My EDC is a Glock 17 and my BUG is a S&W 442 that I wear on my ankle in a DeSantis holster. The ammo for the 442 is Hornady 158gr XTP. I just ordered the Regulator crossdraw holster for it from Wright Leatherworks. Have not received it yet.

I have a pocket carry holster for the 442 but never have carried it that way. I think could be comfortable in a jacket pocket or maybe cargo pants pocket.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with the 442.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    For consideration only, I have no direct experience here... The LCR is available in .327. With ammo being in short supply right now, .327 is about the same price as anything else and you're competing against fewer buyers.

My buddy has it! The 327 is awesome!!! I’d honestly buy one if i frequently carries a revolver

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My buddy has it! The 327 is awesome!!! I’d honestly buy one if i frequently carries a revolver

That's good to hear. The online gun reviews all seem to like it, but they like almost everything. The round intrigues me but not enough to drop a lot of cash on a new gun and new ammo when I'm comfortable with .357.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That's good to hear. The online gun reviews all seem to like it, but they like almost everything. The round intrigues me but not enough to drop a lot of cash on a new gun and new ammo when I'm comfortable with .357.

It is an awesome round, pretty much 9mm performance with 20% better capacity. Has a fair amount of blast(although far less than 357), but not much recoil. Modern bullet designs are really good at converting energy into controlled expansion, and sectional density into good penetration. Figure the 100gr XTP and 115gr Gold dots have a sectional density right between the SD of their own 124gr and 147gr 9mm bullets, given 400-ish FPE they have reliable expansion and penetration on par with 9mm, and superior to 38 in many cases. It's ideal where capacity is a really big issue, and OAL isn't aka snubby revolvers. Supposedly there were prototypes to bring the same performance with 32cal bullets to autos with a 7.62x19mm cartridge, basically the same bullets, pushed to 9mm velocities/400FPE and offering 2-4 rounds additional capacity and lighter recoil, not sure what happened to it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My EDC is a Glock 17 and my BUG is a S&W 442 that I wear on my ankle in a DeSantis holster. The ammo for the 442 is Hornady 158gr XTP. I just ordered the Regulator crossdraw holster for it from Wright Leatherworks. Have not received it yet.

I have a pocket carry holster for the 442 but never have carried it that way. I think could be comfortable in a jacket pocket or maybe cargo pants pocket.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with the 442.

How's that weapon retention training going trying to retain TWO pistols?

Yeah. Pretty impossible I would say. You should re-think that.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    The only S&W "J" frame I own, the model 649-2 (or any variation) is an excellent pocket carry revolver in the right holster.

Attachments

• 20200619_152542.jpg
      20200619_152542.jpg
      33.9 KB · Views: 234

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads