• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Any updated suggestions for 2018?

The new Wicked Ridge Invader X4 would be my suggestion. It's made by Wicked Ridge, who is owned by TenPoint and carries a lifetime warranty. I've dealt with their customer service and it's been great. The bow shoots 360 FPS, is only 15" wide when cocked, has the ACUDraw 50 device in the stock (it holds the cocking string for you) and has a decent scope. I've seen it for $499 from a place up in NH called Wyvern Creations. So that would be my choice if I was getting a new crossbow.

https://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/shop/wicked-ridge-invader-x4-crossbow-package/

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    In reading this thread and not having drawn my old PSE Carroll Intruder compound in years being I have a torn bicep, I have been kicking around getting a crossbow. Well I headed over to DSG in Ellicott City and picked up one of these. It is listed at $299 but they had a few marked @ $249 which the honored. I was not looking to spend $1k to get back into slinging arrows, I mean bolts!

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/s/barnett-gamecrusher-3
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ope-17bt2ugmcrshr30xxabw/17bt2ugmcrshr30xxabw

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    In reading this thread and not having drawn my old PSE Carroll Intruder compound in years being I have a torn bicep, I have been kicking around getting a crossbow. Well I headed over to DSG in Ellicott City and picked up one of these. It is listed at $299 but they had a few marked @ $249 which the honored. I was not looking to spend $1k to get back into slinging arrows, I mean bolts!

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/s/barnett-gamecrusher-3
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ope-17bt2ugmcrshr30xxabw/17bt2ugmcrshr30xxabw

I've got an older Barnett (like 12 years old) that's been solid. I've heard good stories and bad stories of Barnett, just like any company. I've heard some of the products they stop supporting after the 5 year warranty is up.

There are plenty of other products out there that aren't much more that carry a lifetime warranty. It depends on how often you are going to use it as well. I head out 30-50 times a year to hunt so for me the peace of mind is worth a bit extra. Two companies where everything is made in the USA are Tenpoint (also makes Wicked Ridge and Horton) and Parker (made in VA). I'd head to a local archery shop, Bass Pro, or Cabelas to see what they have on hand and what one you feel fits you best.

If you really want to know more about crossbows, head to Crossbow Nation. You will get the ins and outs of each manufacturer in their own subsection on the forum. You get good experiences and some that made me change my mind before purchasing. I didn't know the Barnett issue with not stocking parts until I read that there.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I've ad 2 Parker Xbows. Both were under $400 and issue free. Just get a BPS or Cabela's credit card and in no time you'll have $100 in rewards. Whatever you choose consider overall width, both cocked and un-cocked, and over all weight. Less width will help with banging against other gear and is easier to deal with in a stand. Lighter is easier to carry and maneuver on stand.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I've ad 2 Parker Xbows. Both were under $400 and issue free. Just get a BPS or Cabela's credit card and in no time you'll have $100 in rewards. Whatever you choose consider overall width, both cocked and un-cocked, and over all weight. Less width will help with banging against other gear and is easier to deal with in a stand. Lighter is easier to carry and maneuver on stand.

Agree with this. If you do ground blind hunting, you're going to want to something more narrow and not as long. I was using an old Barnett that was pretty reliable but I do a lot of ground blind hunting and it's like 29 inches wide and 40 inches long, which sucks for ground blind hunting. That's also a reason I stayed away from Excaliber crossbows. They are ultra reliable and you can change your own string but they are pretty wide. If you only hunt from a tree stand it's not an issue, but since I do that and use a ground blind it was kind of a non-starter for me.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Neot, please enlighten me, cuz I'm failing to see how the width of the limbs is a problem in a blind. The ones I have used are all roomy enough, unless you have extra people with you. Still hunting I could see some issues, if going through some thick stuff. One of my favorite ways to hunt BTW, and one reason I'm not crazy bout crossbows.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Neot, please enlighten me, cuz I'm failing to see how the width of the limbs is a problem in a blind. The ones I have used are all roomy enough, unless you have extra people with you. Still hunting I could see some issues, if going through some thick stuff. One of my favorite ways to hunt BTW, and one reason I'm not crazy bout crossbows.

Usually ground blind hunting I hunt with another person. Some of the double blinds can be cramped with two large adults. I even rock a single person blind on occasion and that's really where the width comes into play.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    My first Xbow was a Barnett Jackal and I still have it. Great value in my opinion and puts lots of meat in the freezer with it. Agree with earlier comments that a scope is better for low light than the factory red dot that comes with it.

Have since upgraded to a TenPoint Turbo GT...what I like about the TenPoint is the more rigid aluminum sight riser (more forgiving if the scope gets bumped), less drag on the string/serving, lighter trigger, and narrower dimension from axle to axle. As previously mentioned by others, Xbows are unwieldy to lug around so size/form factor makes a difference.

I'd go for the fastest Xbow you can afford with the narrowest axle to axle dimension. Xbows are loud so speed helps extend your range. I've read that deer can react to sounds in 1/4 second. If you believe this, then the maximum "no escape" range is roughly your Xbow's FPS divided by 4. For example, if speed is 360 FPS, divide that by 4 and you get 90 feet in 1/4 second. In theory, this means that the deer shouldn't be able to jump the string on shots out to 90 feet or 30 yards. I'm sure others will be quick to point out the differences between the real world and the theoretical world. In practice, I try to position myself for a 20 yard shot but practice out to 40 yards just in case. The arrow will have plenty of speed for longer shots but you'll have to decide what you max range is based on confidence in your equipment, your marksmanship and the deer's reaction.

The size/form factor if the Xbow is arguably a matter of convenience but still worth factoring into your decision. Hope this helps!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I personally think the width consideration explained by Neot is the most important argument is different crossbows. Most every crossbow being sold is 325 - 350+ FPS and 150#+ and it way more bow than any of us needs to kill a whitetail.

You can spend more for integral string cocker and other features, but if it has a good scope it should be great for you. We have started hunting with Turkey chairs after seeing tons of deer during turkey season. We usually get near a deadfall or small down trees of limbs and just drop the chair and sit still. 15 walked by me in 15 minutes while trying to hunt turkey in the winter season until the last one finally spotted me trying to video her. ;)

Many crossbows are getting just like compound bows in the technology advancements. There is not much new and they over hype the release of the new bows to move them. Some of the $1000 bows do shoot flatter, but I still question shooting 50 to 60 yards (some are recommending 80 yards :rolleyes: ) with a crossbow no matter how good it is. The sound is getting to the deer before the arrow and with time to flinch.

No matter which one you get it will drive the bolt straight through the deer and into the dirt or burry it so far into a tree you can't get the bolt out. So, how much more bow is required? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom