• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone have suggested language for a "permission" slip or letter of introduction for hunting? I am hoping to hunt my property for deer this fall (I moved in, in May). 4.4 acres with one 4.4 acre property next to me and the rest are 1.1-1.6 with a couple of vacant lots. Heavy woods on half my property and many of the neighbors. A couple of said they want me to kill all the deer. Pretty sure a couple more are okay with it. Still need to ask. I also need to ask several neighbors I have yet to meet.

For many it is just to let them know I am bow hunting deer on the property (to be a nice neighbor and if they have questions), wearing blaze orange so they will know if I am out hunting (to be a nice neighbor) and if they are okay with me retrieving a deer from their property if it ran off mine on to theirs.

So I am trying to think up introduction language (I'd plan to include my phone number, email address and house number) as well as that permission slip language. What I have seen on DNR's website is just a hunting permission form, which I am not seeking.

For a few neighbors I'd also be seeking additional permission to hunt within the 150yd safety zone (HoCo, so it is 150yds. For now. Hopefully they will change to 50 from a tree stand some day).

Anyone write one and mind sharing? Or mind giving suggestions at least?

Thanks!

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    At one time I thought there was a blank permission slip in the hunters guide. Don’t know if is still there. It’s more than a good idea to have written permission.
    Doesn’t address your intro letter but thought it was worth a comment.

Edit. I obviously didn’t read your entire comment first.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It is 150 yards for bow also?

I'm on a similar situation, 4.75, one neighbor has 3.3 and the other 8. I've spoken with the 8 acre neighbor and he was fine with me hunting and going on his land to retrive. He sold to son in law, and I spoke to him this year also...he is fine.

The other neighbor is a lazy POS who barely cuts the grass, never weeds flower bed and "target practices" in the back yard(thinking .243 at 50 yards...and I'm 50 yards from him in my tree stand). I didn't ask him lol

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I have one that I can post when I get home. It heavily leverages the DNR 'permission' form but changes the language to seek permission to hunt within 150 yards of an occupied structure.

A couple of points:

1) Try to make some effort NOW to casually 'bump into' your neighbors if you don't already know them/have met them. You want some sort of casual contact before the first thing you it them with is killing animals. You want to come across as a casual good guy first.

2) Do shit to help your neighbors out when you get the chance so they have a vested interest in helping you out. Tree goes down be the guy to go cut it up for your neighbor. Got a tractor and plow snow? Plow them out on big snows, etc..

Will try to post and write more later

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I think I would talk to them face to face.Since you are going to be living there,you want to know who you will be dealing with and how they really feel about hunting there. JMHO

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Try a business card with a work location on it. If people recognize your involved in a professional atmosphere, they may have a friend, relative or other acquaintance that could vouch for you. Even if that occurs at a much later time, they may grant permission and do follow up on their own later. You've reassured them that your willing to share personal details and your in the game for real.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I remember Steve Rinella read a great one on his podcast. Few years ago but I remember the hunter offered to mark the land with paint and signs etc.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I agree, if it's not FTF you are hurting your cause. If my neighbor sent me a letter, in stead of knocking on the door and talking to me, I wouldn't bother with him/them.

Introduce and casual talk. See how the meeting goes, if they are short, get to the point. Do not jump straight to the point, let them like you first. "Hey I came of because I plan on deer hunting on my property and want to make sure it is not going to cause trouble between us and in the neighborhood. Other neighbors are happy for me to do this, blah, blah blah."

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Sorry - forgot to dig up my example and post last night. Here it is:

Permission to hunt/trap within 150 yards of occupied structure

Maryland hunting laws and regulations state:
    "It is unlawful to hunt, trap or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without permission of the owner or occupant."

I _____________________________________________ owner/occupant of the property located at:

Give permission for Billy Bob to hunt, trap or shoot at wildlife on his property located at:

1234 Crappy Lane,
    B-more, Maryland

I understand that the occupied structure at the above address lies within the 150 yard standoff zone for an occupied building, and that I am granting permission to hunt within that zone.

_______________________________________ ______________________
    Signature Date

Put Google Earth Picture Here

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I agree with ArcheryRob to be up front. Do the chit chat earlier if you can (see my previous on getting to know folks ASAP). Don't start some BS chit chat and beat around the bush when it comes time to ask permission. State very clearly that you are NOT asking permission to hunt on their property. You are only looking to hunt on your property but are trying to do the right thing and get permission to hunt within the safety zone.

In my case, I'm hunting just 2 acres, over bait. So I take a google earth screen shot and add it to the permission that shows were my stand will be. I then explain the direction I am intending to shoot and that it will not be in the direction of anything of interest to them - i.e., their kids play areas or anything.

The above is why I hunt (harvest really) over bait in my backyard - to set up a safe shooting lane that is not in the direction of my neighbors house, etc.

Hope this helps.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have one that I can post when I get home. It heavily leverages the DNR 'permission' form but changes the language to seek permission to hunt within 150 yards of an occupied structure.

A couple of points:

1) Try to make some effort NOW to casually 'bump into' your neighbors if you don't already know them/have met them. You want some sort of casual contact before the first thing you it them with is killing animals. You want to come across as a casual good guy first.

2) Do shit to help your neighbors out when you get the chance so they have a vested interest in helping you out. Tree goes down be the guy to go cut it up for your neighbor. Got a tractor and plow snow? Plow them out on big snows, etc..

Will try to post and write more later

Yeah in #2, yeah I try to be a helpful neighbor. The couple I’ve met I’ve helped them out with some stuff. With a couple of the neighbors it’s hard to casually bump in to them unless I am going to go trespassing on their property. Their “lawns” are a good 100+yds through the woods from my “lawn”. Even if I walked to the creek is ~50yds through woods to their lawn. So a little awkward waiting for them to mow and trying to flag them down and say “hi”. At least the two neighbors I really need to talk to, one has that hunting stand next to my property and the other has to see his neighbor’s stand.

Might be I talk to the one neighbor with the stand and get his take on the other neighbor if the conversation goes well. The two neighbors I know I am not too worried about. I’ll just ask them again and give them the slip to sign.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I agree, if it's not FTF you are hurting your cause. If my neighbor sent me a letter, in stead of knocking on the door and talking to me, I wouldn't bother with him/them.

Introduce and casual talk. See how the meeting goes, if they are short, get to the point. Do not jump straight to the point, let them like you first. "Hey I came of because I plan on deer hunting on my property and want to make sure it is not going to cause trouble between us and in the neighborhood. Other neighbors are happy for me to do this, blah, blah blah."

Good point, thanks!

On those saying don’t leave a letter. Good idea. If nothing else if they are going to be unfriendly, better not to leave cause and plans. Easier to say yes to a friendly hello then a letter left.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I agree with ArcheryRob to be up front. Do the chit chat earlier if you can (see my previous on getting to know folks ASAP). Don't start some BS chit chat and beat around the bush when it comes time to ask permission. State very clearly that you are NOT asking permission to hunt on their property. You are only looking to hunt on your property but are trying to do the right thing and get permission to hunt within the safety zone.

In my case, I'm hunting just 2 acres, over bait. So I take a google earth screen shot and add it to the permission that shows were my stand will be. I then explain the direction I am intending to shoot and that it will not be in the direction of anything of interest to them - i.e., their kids play areas or anything.

The above is why I hunt (harvest really) over bait in my backyard - to set up a safe shooting lane that is not in the direction of my neighbors house, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Yeah I am probably going to setup a mineral lick. I’ve got a bit of an open meadow that’s around a third of an acre in size near my chicken coop. Deer like to wander through there from my front woods to the back. Some nice trees to put a stand up in and it’s right at the edge of the safety zone (150yds) from one neighbor, 80-100yds from another neighbor and about 120 from another one. The two within the safety zone are the two I know are 100% okay with it.

So I think I am settled on only doing it face-to-face. Right there I’ve got 4 neighbors who are or would potentially be within the safety zone and 2 have said yes. One obviously hunts there already. One can’t be oblivious to the hunting.

A 5th Neighbor is back that direction but I’d never be hunting within their safety zone, but I might want to ask permission to retrieve. Though they are stereotypes all the way. Like the type you see showing up on an episode of cops.

All 3 “boys” live there after their dad died years ago. Often hear screaming matches (from 200+yds away). Have goats. Not sure anyone actually takes care of the goats. Might just be if a deer runs on to their property it’s gone. At least their property isn’t right next to mine (not even on a diagonal, it’s simply “close”)

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Maybe also mention that hunting will reduce the number of deer that can eat all those expensive landscape plants. Also lyme's and other tickborn diseases that have been detected in Maryland. Deer laying in their lawns could be bringing ticks to kids play areas.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    One other thing - get permission from the people you know and who you think will be the easiest first. Then cite that 'coalition' if you run into an issue with the others.

In my case, I had four out of eight that I knew well. They readily signed. One I didn'y know well, but had snow-blown their driveway during the back to back "snow apocalypse", so she signed. One I didn't know, but introduced myself, noted a bunch of guitars and recording equipment around and talked a bit about music in addition to popping the permission question. He was good with it.

Of the last two, one was a rental that was owned by the other neighbor. He said no, because he didn't want my hunting to affect his ability to rent the property, and because he thought it was possibly dangerous. He was actually the original property owner and had hunted there before he subdivided it. He does not live there full time, so I had to do this via email. I had explained that my shots would be constrained to a shooting lane.

When I got the no, I waited until I could re-approach him 1:1. I re-emphasized the shooting lane. I underscored that I was trying to do the right thing and be legal, and that frankly several of our neighbors hunted off and on, and none of them had ever even attempted to obtain permission to do so within the safety zone. I told him I would also seek permission from the tenants of the other house (I had to as they were the occupants), and only after they had moved in - so its not like I am conditional on their renting his property. And finally, I told him that I had obtained permission from every other neighbor, and the he and the tenant were the only ones who had not yet provided permission. He agreed, the tenant agreed, and I was good.

And then I started letting him know if there were any issues he needed to be concerned about with his property (people, etc.) and plowed him out a few times.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Just read your last.

I wouldn't ask permission to retrieve or let anyone know about hunting other than those that actually need to. Why invite the hassle?

If you shoot a deer and it runs onto another property, I'd deal with it then. If its not posted, then frankly, I'd trespass to retrieve the deer as long as it wasn't laying on their doorstep.

I think if you give someone the heads up, they have the opportunity to think about it and say no. I think your chances of a yes are pretty high when you knock on the door, say you shot a deer and it ran onto their property, that they will say go ahead and get it. They might say never again, but if they do, they are probably also the type that would have said no to retrieving when you asked up front.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just read your last.

I wouldn't ask permission to retrieve or let anyone know about hunting other than those that actually need to. Why invite the hassle?

If you shoot a deer and it runs onto another property, I'd deal with it then. If its not posted, then frankly, I'd trespass to retrieve the deer as long as it wasn't laying on their doorstep.

I think if you give someone the heads up, they have the opportunity to think about it and say no. I think your chances of a yes are pretty high when you knock on the door, say you shot a deer and it ran onto their property, that they will say go ahead and get it. They might say never again, but if they do, they are probably also the type that would have said no to retrieving when you asked up front.

Good points. The two who have said yes, I’d like to get in writing. Just because (it’ll make my wife feel better). The two behind me I want to ask and get in writing because where I am hunting there is a good chance they’ll see me anyway and/or I will be pulling deer off their property.

One of those since his stand is basically at the corner of the vacant 1.6 acre lot (which I am 99% sure he doesn’t own looking at MD SDAT info), his property and mine I’d like a conversation with. I assume he’ll be fine with it, which is great. Either way though I want to make sure he isn’t hunting my property across the creek from him (and looking at property lines I think I actually own a few feet on his side of the creek, but hey, if it’s his side of the creek and he shoots it I don’t care).

That is a good suggestion not to talk to the others and just deal with it if it comes up. No issues with safety zones (once I get permission from the 4 neighbors). No one’s property is marked. I’d probably still go knock if I thought it was on someone’s property if I hadn’t gotten permission from. Hell even the people who I have gotten permission from I’d knock if it, say, ran right up to their house before dropping dead.

And for the couple back door neighbors it might not be as good as meeting through through a casual conversation or helping them out, but it is at least a way to finally meet them.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    You can use MD Merlin to look up maps with property owners and the map data is linked to SDAT. You'll need to select the correct layers.

https://gisapps.dnr.state.md.us/MERLIN/index.html

Merlin is a good tool. Not as good as some but not bad either. In some respects better.

Or you can use a tool like OnX Hunt. I have a subscription, so if you want me to, PM your address and I can send you a screen shot of the property owners or look them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom