Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    https://kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=95118

95118-M.jpg

I have one on its way to me now.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Lovely, not a 16" but will take 10 rds of .357. Might have to get another one just because.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great price. Surprised these have lasted since your original post, Mike. Good that you got one - I want to try it out. ;) They were going for ~$800 on GunBroker maybe a half year back when inventory at retailers had dried up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Bought my 16" blued model 92 trapper in .44 mag. about ten years ago for $399. Great shooter I'll never get rid of it. Saw a .357 trapper 16" new in box at the Chantilly show last fall for $499. I should have bought it.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Great price. Surprised these have lasted since your original post, Mike. Good that you got one - I want to try it out. ;) They were going for ~$800 on GunBroker maybe a half year back when inventory at retailers had dried up.

It is supposed to arrive Wed of next week. Maybe a trip to the NRA range or someplace? I just checked and it still shows as in stock.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It is supposed to arrive Wed of next week. Maybe a trip to the NRA range or someplace? I just checked and it still shows as in stock.
    Yeah, shoot me a text when you get it, and we can compare schedules. NRA would be good.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    I have it now! It's much nicer looking than I expected. The wood is richer (darker) than I expected. I like it a lot.

I looked at a lot of YouTube videos where rough and sharp edges were noted. This one has none of that. It cycles nicely too. There is a little bit of "grittiness" at the end of the cycle as the blocks close on the bolt, but it seems fine to me.

I'm planning a trip to the NRA range on 2/15. I'll update with the results.

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have it now! It's much nicer looking than I expected. The wood is richer (darker) than I expected. I like it a lot.

I looked at a lot of YouTube videos where rough and sharp edges were noted. This one has none of that. It cycles nicely too. There is a little bit of "grittiness" at the end of the cycle as the blocks close on the bolt, but it seems fine to me.

I'm planning a trip to the NRA range on 2/15. I'll update with the results.

View attachment 252678

View attachment 252679

Its a Rossi built to run, may need some polishing but a good solid gun and they are surprisingly accurate. Never really noticed a difference between a Rossi and JM Marlin with open sights. Maybe if I got one on a sled but that's not what lever guns were made for.

There bores are always rough too but they function. Only issues usually come down to finish and bullet feeding which takes some adjusting of the cartridge guides. Plenty of online advice on this simple adjustment.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I really want to buy this, but the price I see is 535 + a 16 charge and a 45 transfer fee.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Its a Rossi built to run, may need some polishing but a good solid gun and they are surprisingly accurate. Never really noticed a difference between a Rossi and JM Marlin with open sights. Maybe if I got one on a sled but that's not what lever guns were made for.

There bores are always rough too but they function. Only issues usually come down to finish and bullet feeding which takes some adjusting of the cartridge guides. Plenty of online advice on this simple adjustment.

I fed some 357 MAG snap caps through it yesterday with no problems. Cycling each was, do I say it??? - a snap (sorry). No feeding issues, and each one ejected high and far. It was fun looking all over for them. I think anyone who saves their brass is going to have a challenge with this one.

I really want to buy this, but the price I see is 535 + a 16 charge and a 45 transfer fee.

Yeah, it looks like the price went up yesterday. Using Cash / Text-A-Check to get the $534.99 is pretty easy if you have a phone with photo texting. If you call them you can also email a photo of the check. I don't know if it's feasible for you but United Gun Shop (an IP here) has a $40 transfer fee.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    The only problem I have with it is the buckhorn sight. I changed the front sight to a red fiber optic sight and the swapped out the rear for a a ring aperture fiber slight like the one in the picture below. It made a world of difference.

Target acquisition is much easier and faster, and the rear fiber optic helps with centering for long range hits on a gong.

s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Nice looking. Rossi has been UA too much the past few years.
    My Rossi 44 Mag has wood like that. I waxed it with Renaissance Wax and it showed up more grain. A little less "chocolate spray" looking and more woody. The metal finish is actually really good.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I fed some 357 MAG snap caps through it yesterday with no problems. Cycling each was, do I say it??? - a snap (sorry). No feeding issues, and each one ejected high and far. It was fun looking all over for them. I think anyone who saves their brass is going to have a challenge with this one.

Yeah, it looks like the price went up yesterday. Using Cash / Text-A-Check to get the $534.99 is pretty easy if you have a phone with photo texting. If you call them you can also email a photo of the check. I don't know if it's feasible for you but United Gun Shop (an IP here) has a $40 transfer fee.

As good as KYGunco can be the one thing they do, as do many online retailers, is demand pricing. As volume gets less relative to demand up goes the price.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    The ejecting the cases back to Brazil can be cured with a new Ejector Spring from Steve's Guns.
    I put one in mine (a real PITA to do, but instructions are on Youtube) and it throws the cases pretty close to me. I also replaced the plastic follower and spring with stainless ones from Steve's.
    https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_9&zenid=hoodm1glh84sl2kanf6f3aasu1

$534 probably isn't that bad a price for a stainless today. 14 years ago I paid $400 for a blued NIB 20" carbine at either the Howard Co or Frederick gunshow.

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    I bought a Rossi 589 .22 revolver about +20 years ago. It’s absolutely the least accurate firearm I’ve ever owned.

At 10 yards it groups like a shotgun. I’ve tried every brand of 22 ammo I’ve ever been able to find, same results.

It’s weird. The cylinder locks up tight, the bore looks good, the crown is fine... but that damn thing has NEVER hit point of aim. EVER.

It’s literally the one gun I own that I wouldn’t be scared of if someone aimed it at me from 50 feet away. Because I know there is absolutely zero possibility they will be able to hit me.

That kinda turned me off Rossi. It’s good that they seem to be improving.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I bought a Rossi 589 .22 revolver about +20 years ago. It’s absolutely the least accurate firearm I’ve ever owned.

At 10 yards it groups like a shotgun. I’ve tried every brand of 22 ammo I’ve ever been able to find, same results.

It’s weird. The cylinder locks up tight, the bore looks good, the crown is fine... but that damn thing has NEVER hit point of aim. EVER.

It’s literally the one gun I own that I wouldn’t be scared of if someone aimed it at me from 50 feet away. Because I know there is absolutely zero possibility they will be able to hit me.

That kinda turned me off Rossi. It’s good that they seem to be improving.

I wouldn't mix their revolvers with their lever guns. Their lever guns are a little rough around the edges but shoot and function very well. More accurate than the sights which is strange because the bores always look rough new from the factory. But who am I to argue.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Jump on these folks. I got to shoot Mike's yesterday. I previously owned a blued Rossi 92 in 357 but gave it up as it was redundant with my Winchester Model 92 in 357 and the Winchester fit and finish was superior. I can't say that about Mike's rifle. The overall appearance was excellent, no sharp edges like my old Rossi, and action was super smooth. It shot straight and ate all the 357 ammo that Mike fed it fine. With some shorter length 38 Special rounds (not the 158 gr loads), he had to be careful to not short stroke or these occasionally had problems (like any 357 lever). They still retain a safety on top of the receiver, but it's really tiny and unobtrusive in its current version (and there is a commercially available delete for those who want to get rid of it). Overall these are easily the best value for a quality 357 lever action rifle on the market. IMG_0402.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Jump on these folks. I got to shoot Mike's yesterday. I previously owned a blued Rossi 92 in 357 but gave it up as it was redundant with my Winchester Model 92 in 357 and the Winchester fit and finish was superior. I can't say that about Mike's rifle which I got to shoot yesterday. The overall appearance was excellent, no sharp edges like my old Rossi, and action was super smooth. It shot straight and ate all the 357 ammo that Mike fed it fine. With some shorter length 38 Special rounds (not the 158 gr loads), he had to be careful to not short stroke or these occasionally had problems (like any 357 lever). They still retain a safety on top of the receiver, but it's really tiny and unobtrusive in its current version (and there is a commercially available delete for those who want to get rid of it). Overall these are easily the best value for a quality 357 lever action rifle on the market. View attachment 253364

Nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom