• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’ve never been to a gun show where i didn’t walk into a protein fart cloud.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Don’t go to them any more .support them if I see / know about at VFW . Find them to be pricey ,ammo is usually ridiculously priced . Used to look forward to them get exited . Last few times I went to Howard county was looking for some older sights ,nothing no variety. Bunch of ar stuff. Like the old military stuff . One guy had nice set up for Garand parts . No deals for me to be had and if I’m going to pay it’s going to be my local stores. Deal with 5 shops obviously have my favorite but I make a point of spending money and buying from them all. I agree though for me gun shows aren’t as fun as they used to be and people seem uptight know it alls.sometimes downright rude. But meet some very nice people also don’t want to be completely negative . Days of the 100 $ sks went by the way of the (doe doe.)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I like the Silverado Shows (HoCo fair Grounds and Fredrick). The Timonium Show (this weekend by the way) is not convenient for me but it's worth going to. I like to go and browse. Never know when I'll buy something. I go to at least one Silverado show a year and to Nations Gun show once or twice a year.

[EDIT] I had once said "gun shows are so 5 minutes ago". Well - that's true in terms of other alternatives; but I like to still go and browse.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There is still one great gun show in Maryland

Don't give up. The annual MACA (Maryland Arms Collectors Association) show in Timonium every March is a wonderful show.

They do not have modern pistols.

They have everything else. Milsurp, anti-aircraft cannons, 6" naval guns, old cannons, black powder weapons from 1700 to date, swords, knives, military regalia, an incredible array of stuff.

People come from all over the planet for this show; it is one of the major world-class gun shows.

Don't miss it.

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    I grew up in the midwest and remember a few things about those guns shows:

1 - They had guns, guns parts and ammo, that is all
    2 - There were NOT (probably because of the times) a bunch of survival booths full of everything from seeds to survival bracelets
    3 - You could actually get good to exceptional deals

What I have seen from gun shows here:
    1 - Overpriced EVERYTHING. I can get better quality just about everything for a far better price online.
    2 - Little to no actual variety (unless you count 500+ versions of an AR or glock)
    3 - Loads of non-shooting related vendors. I don't need your hemp clad, home chicken breeding, survival purse. This is supposed to be a gun show you vegetable powered nut job.

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

2 - There were NOT (probably because of the times) a bunch of survival booths full of everything from seeds to survival bracelets

1 - Overpriced EVERYTHING. I can get better quality just about everything for a far better price online.
    2 - Little to no actual variety (unless your count 500+ versions of an AR or glock)
    3 - Loads of non-shooting related vendors. I don't need your hemp clad, home chicken breeding, survival purse. This is supposed to be a gun show you vegetable powered nut job.

It's a European Carry-all

Other than that, agree with you.

bradg

May 12, 2017
    The last several I have been to I haven't bought anything; but I'm pretty sure that's mostly because I collect C&R, and you see very little of it in the MD shows. It's mostly black rifles and Glocks.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I was away last weekend visiting family in Hampton VA, well as luck would have it there was a show that weekend in Hampton. The wife and I stopped by on Sunday before heading home. The show was decent sized about 3 times the size of Frederick or Timonium building and it was pretty well filled. Now I'll say this, there were ALOT of non gun/industry related tables at the show. About 1/4-1/3 in my opinion, not good in my opinion. Nice to have a full building but not when there's to much filler. Prices, well don't get me started on that..lol. you guys think prices are high here in MD, you shoulda gone to that show..smh. needless to say I left empty handed, doesn't mean it was a bad show, just didn't find anything to suit me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn

2 - Little to no actual variety (unless you count 500+ versions of an AR or glock)

I have been to a couple in Houston and while the amount of non-firearm products is less, it is definately there. I wonder how long ago you are thinking with this. I was watching some documentary on the 90s the other day and something that was mentioned was the rise of the ultra right wing conservative/prepper types following Ruby Ridge and Waco. Gun shows were mentioned specifically in regards to carrying more para-military apparel, literature and prepper supplies. I typically would take that with a grain of salt but I personally did not frequent gun shows prior to those events. Of course this does not account for the copious amounts of beef jerky that can be found at the local gun shows

MDEXPAT

Oct 21, 2018
    I enjoyed the Glen Burnie and Greenbelt shows back in the early/ mid-80's. I was buying Colt, Adventure Line, and Universal Industries 20rd AR mags for $1.75 to $2.50 each. I would buy a 7-pocket bandolier and then buy stacks of mags to stuff them with. People thought I was crazy, wanting to know why since I didn't own an AR at the time. I told them some day I would, so better be ready when the time comes.

Those were the Greenbelt and Glen Burnie Armory shows. Not sure if they still do those. That was when we would get our hands stamped by a pair of nice old ladies on Saturday morning and spend all day there. Sunday morning we'd shower in our respective homes w/ our stamped hand hanging over the shower curtain rod to preserve the stamp. When we went back Sunday, those sweet old ladies would wave us through.

Made it to Showplace Arena a few times.

Hit the Montgomery County Fairgrounds show in the mid-90's, my old stomping grounds as a "yoot". That was when various dealers had early AR waffle mags for sale and when you were at the table to take a closer look they would have a small piece of paper w/ "Not for sale in MD" under the mag. Gee, thanks!

I remember "Top Hat". Thought his stand was one of the best, just from him standing on his "loft" looking over the wall at everyone. I think we're talking about the same guy unless someone else was wearing the same style hat?

I miss the tables of parts. The glass cases full of those odds-and-ends military items where you might find that illusive piece to fill a collection. The tons of books which for a voracious reader (If I get a book at Christmas I have to open it last or I'll start reading it and forget everything else!) was a treasure trove!

The food was another reason. Hitting the Fred Co show meant Italian sausage and peppers. This past November show at Fred Co was my first in 8 years. The guy that used to set up his sausage stand wasn't outside. It was only later that the surplus dealer in the parking lot told the guy took over the Farmer's Market, and then closed early because there was no business. So I missed that opportunity. I remember one time at the Fred Co show when a dealer had what looked like a refrigerator box cut in half, and it was filled w/ green and brown bag Long Range Patrol rations for $10 each. I wanted to catch up with him so bad at the next show but never saw him again after that.

I was surprised at the Fred Co show when I spotted what seemed to be a lady in the corner cleaning out people's ears? Maybe I have that wrong, but there was a guy on a stool and she sure seemed to be going ISIS in his ear! And there was the beef jerky lady too. Not sure what show I was at where jerky first appeared but that poor lady seemed like she was dreading each passing minute until the show ended.

I made it to the Max Show in Baltimore one year back in the mid-80's. That was pretty cool for having never been to a show that big before.

Everything is cyclical. People are moving to on-line and away from brick fronts, but that too will change. The young will age. Eventually many will tire of buying something on-line and it not being what they wanted, or the right color, or what have you. They'll get tired of sending it back and waiting for another to show up. They'll eventually decide its quicker to go to a store, take it off the shelf, kick it around, get it in the color they want and walk out with it. Heck, Montgomery Wards was pretty much toast but apparently they're coming back a little at a time, returning to their kiosk catalog.

People will return. It will take time. It will also take establishing new relationships between the next generation of dealers and the next generation of customers. As well as seeking out and re-establishing old relationships that may have fallen by the wayside. If Top Hat isn't appearing at as many shows as he used too, keep asking about him and maybe once in a while he will make an appearance. When I went to the Fred Co show this past November and didn't see him, it was more thing that had me thinking about the good ole days and how they must have passed.

But that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Unless we choose to let it.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I was surprised at the Fred Co show when I spotted what seemed to be a lady in the corner cleaning out people's ears? Maybe I have that wrong, but there was a guy on a stool and she sure seemed to be going ISIS in his ear! And there was the beef jerky lady too. Not sure what show I was at where jerky first appeared but that poor lady seemed like she was dreading each passing minute until the show ended.

The ear cleaning may have been in preparation for cast in place silicone ear plugs. I had a set done years ago at Showplace Arena in PG Co (IIRC).

They were great until I misplaced them.

MDEXPAT

Oct 21, 2018
    The ear cleaning may have been in preparation for cast in place silicone ear plugs. I had a set done years ago at Showplace Arena in PG Co (IIRC).

They were great until I misplaced them.

Maybe that was it. When I saw what looked like ear cleaning I didn't pay any attention after that. But what you said makes sense. At the time I definitely thought it strange, as well as an indication of how different the shows were from my last "rodeo."

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Maybe the “golden age” of guns shows was before my time, but I’ve enjoyed all the ones I’ve been to in the area. Sure a lot of them have the same dudes who drastically overcharge but that comes with any open market like that, from flea markets to trade shows.

I’ve made some good finds, had some good chats, and make jokes about the Against Toddlers and Fido tables that are always there for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Attachments

• tmp_25633-hqdefault(6)-2126056348.jpg
      tmp_25633-hqdefault(6)-2126056348.jpg
      13.1 KB · Views: 241

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Most have touched on it. I only started collecting in 2012 so it pretty much could not be worse timing. The boom of 2012-13 for gun stores and shows as far as prices, especially FSA13 banned items really changed LGS and shows in MD, I think. People bought lowers in dozens for 150-250 a piece. Now there is a market for accessories and such for those builds. I am sure the dealers also had higher costs during those times but I would think it would have been hard for them to not make a lot of money during that timeframe.

I have only been to a few gun shows, I think 2 in MD and 1 in VA. both were pretty small and had the same kind of mix of things. The prices were very high compared to internet prices. I recall some very low end items that were almost double the online prices. I know people like to buy things in person and you can overcharge accordingly but for a person like me that is very up to date on the prices, I just roll my eyes. This goes for some LGS too. I am all for supporting them but not at 25 to 50% more than online prices. Honestly there is a real need for some transfer and order only FFL's that don't carry a full inventory. JLowes has a similar operation and seems to do well.

Another thing I will add is the culture coming in as a new inexperienced gun owner/collector, there are a lot of LGS counter guys and gun show vendors who just come off as smug and condescending. This is to a clean cut well spoken 30yo white guy, so I can only imagine how some others are treated. I can see how it could turn people off, these places are were you gain supporters, some should really rethink how they treat their customers. That said, I know they probably get a lot of knuckleheads that ask a ton of dumb questions and their patience may be thin but still something to be mindful of.

Last edited:

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Prior to and during the Obama administration the number of attendees at gun shows went up exponentially. One of the results has been a dramatic increase in the number of shows. The Chantilly show as an example went from a couple of shows to seven a year. The Oaks show in Pa has four shows a year.

Between the massive spending that was done during the prior administration, less fear of adverse regulation, more shows to go to, among other things, attendance is down at all the shows.

The sheer number of them is definitely the issue for me. I don't have time to go to shows several times a year, and don't have the budget to spend what I'd want to spend at that many. I'd be lucky to get to two, maybe three a year. Trouble is knowing which 2-3 are most worth going to, especially when you're relatively new to the state. If I can only get to those couple of shows, I want to make sure they're worth my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom