• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well, I found the one section of Patuxent where all the deer were hiding. Not a good place to hang a stand though as you probably wouldn’t see more than 30 yards in any direction. But I bumped probably 12 deer in 1s and 2s (one group of 3) all over a span of about 400yds of trail.

Also the area I had been thinking of hanging a stand isn’t so good this year. I guess from how warm it has been and all the rain it is pretty thick. Nothing has fallen off the trees or bushes yet of course.

So dunno. The usual “the indecision is killing me”. Try setting up where I’ve seen good deer and bad luck before, but didn’t get over there to scout yet and won’t be able to. Try setting up somewhere around where I saw all the deer, but unless one beds down real close to my stand, I may not see a deer and very likely wouldn’t have a shot through the brush if I did see one.

Or right where I know a bunch of deer trails cross a narrow part of the park and I’ve seen deer before. Sigh.

At least I got my ML working right and sighted in to tiny little groups.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We have some areas on the farm we hunt like that. Old pine forest being taken over with new deciduous growth. Going in to hunt just destroys the bedding area. Just pick some trails in and out of there and hunt them. place two or three and hunt the ones wind is not blow to them coming out of, or into, them that day.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We have some areas on the farm we hunt like that. Old pine forest being taken over with new deciduous growth. Going in to hunt just destroys the bedding area. Just pick some trails in and out of there and hunt them. place two or three and hunt the ones wind is not blow to them coming out of, or into, them that day.

The problem is there is one trail through there and not much in the way of deer trails. The walking trail runs about 100yds from the cornfield parallel to it. So all of them are lazy SOBs who are walking 300 feet (or less) to and from the corn field to eat and then go back to sleep.

The trees themselves are somewhat open, but there is a ton of low growth up to about 5 feet in height. I am pretty sure even from above in a stand you just aren’t going to get a clear shot at a deer unless it is pretty close.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    The problem is there is one trail through there and not much in the way of deer trails. The walking trail runs about 100yds from the cornfield parallel to it. So all of them are lazy SOBs who are walking 300 feet (or less) to and from the corn field to eat and then go back to sleep.

The trees themselves are somewhat open, but there is a ton of low growth up to about 5 feet in height. I am pretty sure even from above in a stand you just aren’t going to get a clear shot at a deer unless it is pretty close.

Sometimes a close shoot isn't bad. Errors in accuracy are less noticeable at shorter distances. The closest I've made a shot with a shotgun/muzzleloader was 5 yds.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Sometimes a close shoot isn't bad. Errors in accuracy are less noticeable at shorter distances. The closest I've made a shot with a shotgun/muzzleloader was 5 yds.

I'm going to the range today to resight my muzzleloader's zero to 50 yards. Most of my shots where I hunt are normally not beyond that distance anyway; due to the foliage and tree's.

I've kept zero for the last several years at 100 yards. The TC Arms saboted bullet that I use does tend to impact an inch or so higher when targeting deer within 50 yards. I want a better expected impact from this point forward at that shorter distance.

Will examine my shot group at 100 yards as well; in case I need to compensate for that distance on occasion.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I saw some more fresh scrapes yesterday, no rubs I can see. There are a few heavily traveled trails and I've brushed in and blocked off all but a few openings from our woods into the corn field with treestands overlooking them. I can't take off tomorrow but might get into the stand after 3:30.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I am just more worried I won’t see anything as enclosed as a lot of it is. Or if I do see anything, it won’t be shootable. As it is, it is going to suck trying to find a good spot in the dark as I didn’t mark anything as I was so dang unsure. I can probably find a secondary trail in that comes off the cornfield, but finding a good tree that isn’t going to be completely screened when dawn comes is going to hard without using the white light on my head lamp at 5:30am stumbling around a little.

I am also worried because the fields are uncut there won’t be all that much deer movement because they don’t have to go far, so banging my stand in that “crossroads” spot I have my eye on where the park is narrow between two fields also isn’t a bad idea as maybe nothing will be moving through there. But it absolutely is a choke point between big wooded parts of the park and if something wants to stay within the tree line to traverse, the right stand covers the entire area.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I saw some more fresh scrapes yesterday, no rubs I can see. There are a few heavily traveled trails and I've brushed in and blocked off all but a few openings from our woods into the corn field with treestands overlooking them. I can't take off tomorrow but might get into the stand after 3:30.

Started seeing some rubs near my property the other day. Have only had one buck on camera in the daytime recently but the does are out in force. Made a natural ground blind last Saturday (I felt like ass and didn't want to climb a tree) and ended up seeing 11 does. This cold weather should make for a good weekend of hunting.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I am just more worried I won’t see anything as enclosed as a lot of it is. Or if I do see anything, it won’t be shootable. As it is, it is going to suck trying to find a good spot in the dark as I didn’t mark anything as I was so dang unsure. I can probably find a secondary trail in that comes off the cornfield, but finding a good tree that isn’t going to be completely screened when dawn comes is going to hard without using the white light on my head lamp at 5:30am stumbling around a little.

I am also worried because the fields are uncut there won’t be all that much deer movement because they don’t have to go far, so banging my stand in that “crossroads” spot I have my eye on where the park is narrow between two fields also isn’t a bad idea as maybe nothing will be moving through there. But it absolutely is a choke point between big wooded parts of the park and if something wants to stay within the tree line to traverse, the right stand covers the entire area.

I have never been to the place you are hunting,so just going by what you are describing

You might want to set up somewhere near the corn....since it is still standing

You might want to hunt from the ground....of course if the wind allows it.You wont be making a bunch of noise setting up.You might be able to see further once you sit down,especially if the deer have a noticeable browse line.I learned this when I started turkey hunting.

Good luck whatever you decide

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have never been to the place you are hunting,so just going by what you are describing

You might want to set up somewhere near the corn....since it is still standing

You might want to hunt from the ground....of course if the wind allows it.You wont be making a bunch of noise setting up.You might be able to see further once you sit down,especially if the deer have a noticeable browse line.I learned this when I started turkey hunting.

Good luck whatever you decide

That’s not a bad point. It does look it’ll be pretty windy tonight and tomorrow. Which bodes well for still hunting at least. Maybe it’ll keep me from spooking anything getting in or near that bedding area and setting up.

A few pieces of open woods I can see around okay standing or sitting nearby, but most of the area any prayer is in a stand. The tree line is all very thick and over grown. It opens up a little inside the woods, but a lot of 3-5 foot tall thorns and other bushes making it hard to see far. In a couple of weeks once it dies back you can see really far. Not so much right now.

What about thoughts of setting up there in the evening sit? I assume bad idea because they will already be bedded down and I will be setting up too close to them.

I am kind of wishing I had spent a bit more time (or had a bit more time) and marked a path in to something that might be even vaguely promising. It’ll be a lot more going in blind if I decide to do it tomorrow morning.

I guess that is part of my concern. I know where to setup if I go to the choke point. Near that bedding area is kind of “dunno”, especially in the dark (at least without using white light to look around some).

I guess that is also a question. How stupid would I be if I did that. Use white light on my head lamp once I get near where I think an okay setup spot might be. Just to find an exact tree or sitting spot and make sure I’ve got some lines of sight?

It isn’t far from one of the parking areas. Maybe 200-300yds. Ideally if I can haul myself out of bed early enough I will be getting there by 6am and to an area where I’d be looking for a tree or sitting spot by 6:10 or 6:15, about 45 minutes before first shooting light (if going up a tree, figure that takes me 15 minutes).

I say “by 6am” as I am shooting for 5:30am and figuring my “not a morning person” butt will run 15 minutes or half an hour later than I am hoping.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    If you dont have an exact tree picked out for your stand and no clear path chosen,i would wait till sunup and slowly still hunt into the area.Then find your tree.

Its all a gamble now,but the last thing I would do would be to stumble around ,making a racket in prime time.You could really piss other hunters in the area besides mess up your own hunt.

I try to hunt where I dont spook deer from their bedding areas.Pick between bedding and feeding and you will spook fewer deer.
    BTW....when I mentioned hunting from the ground,I was thinking more of a ground blind more than still hunting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I will probably just go setup between the two wood areas where deer have to cross a narrow wooded area in the park. I’ve seen several deer go through there over the years and if hunters bump something, a good chance deer will get pushed right through there. Also I know I can find a tree with minimum fuss and light.

I’ll try to figure something out for Friday morning maybe near that bedding area when I can get in quietly when it is light out and mark a path if needed. I also want to check out the other side of the fields where I know there are some good spots.

I wish I was way less indecisive with this stuff. I’ve had decent success, but I am always wracked with indecision.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Welp. In my stand. waiting to get down. That choke point maybe paid off. Okay sized deer near me. Shot looked good, but not positive. It doesn’t sound like it went far at alll, but I can’t see it from my vantage point. Waiting 15 more minutes to get down. And who knows, maybe another will come by. A small one did at first light, but I couldn’t see it well enough to take a shot.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Welp. In my stand. waiting to get down. That choke point maybe paid off. Okay sized deer near me. Shot looked good, but not positive. It doesn’t sound like it went far at alll, but I can’t see it from my vantage point. Waiting 15 more minutes to get down. And who knows, maybe another will come by. A small one did at first light, but I couldn’t see it well enough to take a shot.
    Sounds like you made the right decision on the location

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Now I am procrastinating getting out of my stand because I am worried I clean missed. And hoping another deer comes by. At least it is cold, so no actual rush. I wish I could see it from where I am sitting. I guess partly it is I didn’t hear it flop. I also onkymheard two small clump/crashes as it hopped a short distance and then nothing. No smashing through the woods and no sound if it sauntering off.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nada. Brush was way thicker where it was than I had thought from my stand. Zero sign anywhere and I walked both banks of the stream I saw it cross with no evidence of blood anywhere as well as tore myself to pieces looking in the thorns and undergrowth. Must have hit a branch between me and it and deflected :-(

Time to go take the stand back to my car and still hunt around till later afternoon I guess. Damn.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Got one with my car this morning :mad54:

At least I didn't have to drag it too far...

Attachments

• ML season 2019.jpg
      ML season 2019.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 206

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Nada. Brush was way thicker where it was than I had thought from my stand. Zero sign anywhere and I walked both banks of the stream I saw it cross with no evidence of blood anywhere as well as tore myself to pieces looking in the thorns and undergrowth. Must have hit a branch between me and it and deflected :-(

Time to go take the stand back to my car and still hunt around till later afternoon I guess. Damn.

Two kinds of deer hunters, if any real time has been spent at it.

Those who have missed.

Those who will.

if you're gonna miss, better to miss clean.

Get the next one!

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I was planning on getting out after my normal work day today and tomorrow. My boss just told me to take a half day today and all of tomorrow off. It's nice having extra vacation time and a boss that hunts too. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom