• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020
    Figured I would post DD’s official response on why they do not ship to MD. I had my eye on a V11 Pro complete upper which was finally available to purchase last week. Went to check out and was blocked, I reached out to them and below is their response:

Thank you for contacting Daniel Defense and we apologize for any confusion. At this time we do not manufacture a MD compliant firearm. We can only ship Pistols and Upper Receivers from the website directly.

The items on the Maryland State Police website were not submitted by Daniel Defense so we have no way of knowing what specifications were submitted so unfortunately we do not go by those.

MD law prohibits all of our rifles unless they are marked with (and advertised on our website as having) a heavy barrel, which we do not have so we are unfortunately not selling any rifles direct from our site at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Figured I would post DD’s official response on why they do not ship to MD. I had my eye on a V11 Pro complete upper which was finally available to purchase last week. Went to check out and was blocked, I reached out to them and below is their response:

Thank you for contacting Daniel Defense and we apologize for any confusion. At this time we do not manufacture a MD compliant firearm. We can only ship Pistols and Upper Receivers from the website directly.

The items on the Maryland State Police website were not submitted by Daniel Defense so we have no way of knowing what specifications were submitted so unfortunately we do not go by those.

MD law prohibits all of our rifles unless they are marked with (and advertised on our website as having) a heavy barrel, which we do not have so we are unfortunately not selling any rifles direct from our site at this time.

Pretty much answers the question right there. MD says AR's have to have a "heavy" profile barrel which DD is saying they dont.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    He ordered the upper, complete, but just the upper.

It states that they can only ship upper receivers and pistols...

They contradicted their own policy and even explained how they did it in the highlighted part in the above post. Unless I missed something...haven't had my caffeine yet.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The 18" S2W barrel is listed in DD website as a "heavy barrel"

Our 18” 5.56 barrel is the most accurate and longest lasting barrel attainable for your AR-15 build. We Cold Hammer Forge our barrels, a process that sets us apart from other barrel manufacturers. The 18” Strength to Weight (Daniel’s Heavy Barrel) profile barrel is forged from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium steel, Mil-spec heavy phosphate coated and chrome lined with rifle length gas system.

https://danieldefense.com/18-5-56mm-s2wr-rifle-length-chf-barrel.html

18_556_s2w_rif_sbn_1_1.jpg

The DDM4 V7-PRO and DDM4-V11 PRO both have the 18" "S2W" profile, which is listed as "Heavy" and also looks to me like a heavy profile, and both are listed on the MDSP website as "not banned."

You may persuade them its a heavy barrel, but more likely you will need to go through a dealer.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The 18" S2W barrel is listed in DD website as a "heavy barrel"

https://danieldefense.com/18-5-56mm-s2wr-rifle-length-chf-barrel.html

18_556_s2w_rif_sbn_1_1.jpg

The DDM4 V7-PRO and DDM4-V11 PRO both have the 18" "S2W" profile, which is listed as "Heavy" and also looks to me like a heavy profile, and both are listed on the MDSP website as "not banned."

You may persuade them its a heavy barrel, but more likely you will need to go through a dealer.

You don’t need a dealer for an upper or a barrel. The OP is talking about an upper, not a complete firearm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    You don’t need a dealer for an upper or a barrel. The OP is talking about an upper, not a complete firearm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize that, however if he cannot persuade DD to ship the upper, what other choice is there? The email from DD says they don't make a heavy barrel, but clearly they do, lol. Facts are often irrelevant to lawyers in other states.

OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020

They contradicted their own policy and even explained how they did it in the highlighted part in the above post. Unless I missed something...haven't had my caffeine yet.

Correct.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland

True, he did only order an upper, but MD Fing law has most of the manufactures scared cause they dont understand it....hell, I have a hard time keeping it straight....

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    It is pretty stupid that we have to inform and then argue with companies over what we know we can buy/own all the while with them stating a policy of "not gonna bother with MD."

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    It is pretty stupid that we have to inform and then argue with companies over what we know we can buy/own all the while with them stating a policy of "not gonna bother with MD."

Yeah, I far prefer the business model of companies like IWI that go out of their way to flip off Frosh and make sure that their guns are compliant.

I can forgive not bothering with MD, we are a small state. Although if IWI and Ruger can do it so can everyone else.

What is unforgivable is not knowing what is on their own damn website and contradicting themselves twice.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :cool:

Attachments

• banner.jpg
      banner.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 442

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Duffy's is a DD dealer. They can likely source one for you. I have seem the V11pro's on their shelves before and it's where I got my DDM4V7p (pistol not rifle). The S2W is definitely considered an HBAR and both the V11 pro and V7 pro are listed as Not Banned on the MD website.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

I would definitely get on the phone with DD and send them this link if you haven't already.

OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020
    Duffy's is a DD dealer. They can likely source one for you. I have seem the V11pro's on their shelves before and it's where I got my DDM4V7p (pistol not rifle). The S2W is definitely considered an HBAR and both the V11 pro and V7 pro are listed as Not Banned on the MD website.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

I would definitely get on the phone with DD and send them this link if you haven't already.

It looks like DD's stance is that [even if a rifle is listed as not banned on the MDSP website] if said approved rifle has had any changes to its configuration whatsoever it could potentially be non compliant and therefore not shipping it.

I ended up going with a 16" Geiselle SuperDuty from gunbroker.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    It looks like DD's stance is that [even if a rifle is listed as not banned on the MDSP website] if said approved rifle has had any changes to its configuration whatsoever it could potentially be non compliant and therefore not shipping it.

I ended up going with a 16" Geiselle SuperDuty from gunbroker.

Good...fuggem and take your money elsewhere!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Good...fuggem and take your money elsewhere!

^^THIS. I wish people would stop endlessly complaining about dealers who don't want to deal with the screwed up Maryland laws. It's MARYLAND, not the dealers. Hell, I'M tired of dealing with the Maryland laws!
    Just find one that's willing to do business with Marylanders and do business with them. They deserve it.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    ^^THIS. I wish people would stop endlessly complaining about dealers who don't want to deal with the screwed up Maryland laws. It's MARYLAND, not the dealers. Hell, I'M tired of dealing with the Maryland laws!
    Just find one that's willing to do business with Marylanders and do business with them. They deserve it.

And or...when available buy the parts you want and put them together the way you want. If the market ever gets back to some parts availability normal.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Def stinks to hear that DD won't do what is perfectly plain as day legal.

FWIW I did order a DD upper off of Brownells which has a "heavy barrel" and it shipped no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom