• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020
    So I think we are all a bit spoiled with getting to read Amazon reviews now-a-days to weed out the good and bad products out there [assuming the reviews are legitimate.]

It seems Brownell / Optics-Planet reviews are pretty good.. But anyways.. what do you guys think on BCGs.. am I ok spending $150 on something or do I really need an adjustable / titanium $400 BCG?

Is there something in-between there $ wise y'all would recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Here are my thoughts. Cheap is cheap. Which probably means very Lille quality control. Which in turn give you a higher probability of function problems. High quality components give you extreme quality control measures generally and use of materials. So for correct functioning LR308 BCG you should probably aim for mid priced BCG. You can find some on sale for $100. You can find some for $400. To get a reliable trouble free BCG you are going to pay $200 or there about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I agree there are a lot of "gadgets" now a days. Buy a Bravo Company BCG and be done with it. It works well.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    BCM and Daniel Defense are the only BCG's I run in my hard use/shtf/HD rifles, but I am what you might call a "fan-boy", so YMMV. I have never seen the need for an adjustable carrier nor fancy coating, new flavor of the week BCG.

There are plenty of solid less expensive options, too, but QC can be a mixed bag. I've seen excellent PSA BCG's and downright awful ones. I have two range toys that run an AIM Surplus BCG and a Bushmaster Mil-spec BCG, both of which have held up great to the tune of $100 each.

Why do you feel the need for an adjustable carrier? Before considering an adjustable carrier, I would first address the gas at the port and at the buffer end. I would spend the money on a properly gassed barrel before throwing in an adjustable carrier. Criterion, Ballistic Advantage, Rosco, Triarc, and a number of others are known for not oversizing their ports. Just my 0.02.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The main question is fullweight M16 or lightweight. Full weight with an appropriate buffer will ensure reliability, and controlled bolt speed/recoil with full gas pressure. Lightweight carriers REQUIRE an adjustable gas block to tune for the ammo/conditions, or else too much gas + light weight carrier=broken stuff. If done properly along with a muzzle brake, a lightweight carrier/buffer and tuned gas can make recoil stupid light, and but only for a narrow range of ammo/conditions before it needs to be adjusted or failures happen. Full mass+full gas is reliable over a wide range of conditions and ammo. If running suppressed, full weight carrier/buffer and an adjustable gas block to limit gas will make it reliable with a can, sometimes you can find a perfect spot where it will cycle reliably unsupressed, and run supressed without excessive gas in the face or overgassed ejection patterns.

Have a couple older BCMs, no problems, but have seen a few with heavy machining marks, granted they work fine, BCM claims they are "normal", IMO not worth the cost. I use Toolcraft nitride carriers on most everything that needs a full weight M16 carrier now, easier to clean, a little sleeker, 0 problems, and a solid warranty and CS, there are maybe a dozen "brands" that are just toolcraft carriers with someon else's logo on it.

For lightweight carriers, Brownells 8.2oz lightweight BCGs are awesome for the money, Have Faxon, JP and Iron city Rifle Works also, just as good, some are the same or a little heavier, but more expensive. I'm not a huge fan of Ti or Aluminum carriers, LOTS more expensive, little weight savings and not as abrasion resistant.

Last edited:

OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020
    The main question is fullweight M16 or lightweight. Full weight with an appropriate buffer will ensure reliability, and controlled bolt speed/recoil with full gas pressure. Lightweight carriers REQUIRE an adjustable gas block to tune for the ammo/conditions, or else too much gas + light weight carrier=broken stuff. If done properly along with a muzzle brake, a lightweight carrier/buffer and tuned gas can make recoil stupid light, and but only for a narrow range of ammo/conditions before it needs to be adjusted or failures happen. Full mass+full gas is reliable over a wide range of conditions and ammo. If running suppressed, full weight carrier/buffer and an adjustable gas block to limit gas will make it reliable with a can, sometimes you can find a perfect spot where it will cycle reliably unsupressed, and run supressed without excessive gas in the face or overgassed ejection patterns.

Have a couple older BCMs, no problems, but have seen a few with heavy machining marks, granted they work fine, BCM claims they are "normal", IMO not worth the cost. I use Toolcraft nitride carriers on most everything that needs a full weight M16 carrier now, easier to clean, a little sleeker, 0 problems, and a solid warranty and CS, there are maybe a dozen .

For lightweight carriers, Brownells 8.2oz lightweight BCGs are awesome for the money, Have Faxon, JP and Iron city Rifle Works also, just as good, some are the same or a little heavier, but more expensive. I'm not a huge fan of Ti or Aluminum carriers, LOTS more expensive, little weight savings and not as abrasion resistant.

This is really good info thank you. I was wonder what weights go with what springs etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom