• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedRider48

Jun 11, 2020
    Severna Park, MD
    Hi Guys,
    Being new to the 77-R process, does the 7 day waiting period include weekends or only Biz days?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If you buy on, say, a Thursday ... your wait will be over once the next Thursday rolls around. You’ll get your “not disapproved” email from MSP in the wee hours of Friday morning. Some of this will have to do with what TIME on the weekday you made the purchase and the dealer got the info to MSP. Waiting until late in the day/evening can push things back another day.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    There is some screwy rule that if your normal pick up day (8th) falls on a Federal holiday, you have to wait another day to pick it up.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I did one last Friday. Got the old "Not Disapproved" this AM at 6:02am.

I did one 2 weeks ago on a Thursday and got the ND on the following Thursday at 6:01am

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    If you buy on, say, a Thursday ... your wait will be over once the next Thursday rolls around. You’ll get your “not disapproved” email from MSP in the wee hours of Friday morning. Some of this will have to do with what TIME on the weekday you made the purchase and the dealer got the info to MSP. Waiting until late in the day/evening can push things back another day.

Incorrect. It will come on Thursday. Day 1 is the day it’s submitted, unless it’s Monday or the 7th day is a holiday.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    There is some screwy rule that if your normal pick up day (8th) falls on a Federal holiday, you have to wait another day to pick it up.

7 days starts the 1st day. The 8th day thing came about because of the 2013/14 delays, but yes holidays make it screwy and it doesn’t have to be a federal holiday. MD has a “Native American heritage day”. I never knew it existed until I didn’t get an email when I should have and I checked to discover my pick up day was a MD holiday.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've had the seven days cover a holiday and it didn't add a day to the wait...and sometimes it has. I've had a store owner tell me that as long as the information is forwarded to MSP by 6PM you'll get the notice at 6AM in seven days...and with some dealers that seems to be the case. I've also had other dealers transmit the information early in the day while I was standing there and it took eight days. There seems to be little if any consistency.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I've had the seven days cover a holiday and it didn't add a day to the wait...and sometimes it has. I've had a store owner tell me that as long as the information is forwarded to MSP by 6PM you'll get the notice at 6AM in seven days...and with some dealers that seems to be the case. I've also had other dealers transmit the information early in the day while I was standing there and it took eight days. There seems to be little if any consistency.

The information is transmitted as soon as the customer pays the $10 tax on the portal, and the customer receives the payment confirmation e-mail.

I have also seen applications submitted after 8PM that were "Not Disapproved" at 6AM on the 8th day, that didn't add an extra day.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IF the " 8th Day" would otherwise fall on a Sunday or Holiday , no can do , has to wait for following non- holiday weekday to pickup . ( Y'all are chuckling , but I regularly visit my Go To LGS most Sundays , and the no 8th day on Sunday thing as cought both me and Littlefoot44 .)

But Maryland is Maryland . The MSP reinterpets the meaning of " Day " as they go .

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    Incorrect. It will come on Thursday. Day 1 is the day it’s submitted, unless it’s Monday or the 7th day is a holiday.

This whole waiting an extra day because of the purchase being on a 'Monday' is for the birds. Went to the range last Monday, saw something I liked and patiently waited until today to no avail. :fingerscrossed: I am good to go tomorrow. Never had to wait any additional days past the normal 7.

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    This whole waiting an extra day because of the purchase being on a 'Monday' is for the birds. Went to the range last Monday, saw something I liked and patiently waited until today to no avail. :fingerscrossed: I am good to go tomorrow. Never had to wait any additional days past the normal 7.

MSP sent an email that says all firearms division processing my have delays due to the current situation, high demand and limited staff due to covid.

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    MSP sent an email that says all firearms division processing my have delays due to the current situation, high demand and limited staff due to covid.

Ok. It is what it is. None of my other purchases over the last month ran into that issue. You know how it is when you want to play with a new toy though, right? :)

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    Ok. It is what it is. None of my other purchases over the last month ran into that issue. You know how it is when you want to play with a new toy though, right? :)

I have not had any delays yet, but I will see what happens Friday when I should be able to pick up my birthday present to myself. (It's a S&W 29 classic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom