What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'd definitely try another mag as well, could be that simple. I had no issues with cycling from 10.5 up to 12.0gr with my pistol. I has a non-adjustable gas block and is presently not suppressed (waiting for the Feds to give me permission to build it.. lol). I am pretty sure my oal was 2.180, don't have all the load data at hand.

and thanks Outrider, been around, just a bit quiet of late. ;)

I thought I had it. I tried a new mag and with the 11.7gr load, it ran fine. I dropped back and tried some of the 11.2gr loads in the same mag and got a failure on the last mag.

I may have to try fiddling some more with the gas block setting.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Rolled another 360 Subs today.

I’m really liking these 180gr Rainer Copper Plated projectiles. They are about $0.10/ea and load so much easier them the epoxy coated projectiles.

I tested out a small batch on Sunday 10.3gr of IMR4227 clocked at 1030fps. I bumped the charge up to 10.5 and should be seeing around 1100.

0a1364dc3f1c7b17e56995ceac97af8b.jpg

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Figured out what was causing my Dillon RL 1050 shell plate to over-rotate/jam the tool head up and fixed it. The indexing ball was stuck in the down position due to crud build-up in the spring pocket...fixed by cleaning. Also learned enough about this press to do a partial tune up including lock ring adjustment, cleaning the case feed frame assembly (plunger was filthy) and adjusting the primer slide lever.

Doesn't sound like much but figuring out how to fix a sick 1050 and getting it to run smooth again sure felt like reaching a new level of manhood...lots of consecutive and concurrent miracles happening on that machine :)

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Figured out what was causing my Dillon RL 1050 shell plate to over-rotate/jam the tool head up and fixed it. The indexing ball was stuck in the down position due to crud build-up in the spring pocket...fixed by cleaning. Also learned enough about this press to do a partial tune up including lock ring adjustment, cleaning the case feed frame assembly (plunger was filthy) and adjusting the primer slide lever.

Doesn't sound like much but figuring out how to fix a sick 1050 and getting it to run smooth again sure felt like reaching a new level of manhood...lots of consecutive and concurrent miracles happening on that machine :)

I just got a 1050 and I am waiting on a small part and a DVD from Dillon before I can really get into it.

Right now I am looking at it and wondering what the hell I got myself into.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Inkd, I think you'll love the 1050...just takes some getting used to and learning. I found a YouTube video that was very helpful and gave me the confidence to disassemble in search of the problem. The video also covers reassembly.

Pilots call the U-2 spy plane the "Dragon Lady" because they feel like they're either fighting with a dragon or dancing with a lady depending on the day. I'm not a pilot but it seems like there's an analogy there to the 1050. When it malfunctions, it's intimidating trying to figure it out. When it's running properly, though, there's nothing like producing 100 rounds of match grade 45 ACP in 5-7 minutes.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Inkd, I think you'll love the 1050...just takes some getting used to and learning. I found a YouTube video that was very helpful and gave me the confidence to disassemble in search of the problem. The video also covers reassembly.

Pilots call the U-2 spy plane the "Dragon Lady" because they feel like they're either fighting with a dragon or dancing with a lady depending on the day. I'm not a pilot but it seems like there's an analogy there to the 1050. When it malfunctions, it's intimidating trying to figure it out. When it's running properly, though, there's nothing like producing 100 rounds of match grade 45 ACP in 5-7 minutes.

Thanks man, I am saving that link in my favorites for sure!!!

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Well, it seems as though my full size 300Blk doesn't like bullets loaded too short? I loaded them out longer and it ran with no problem.

My SBR, on the other hand, eats anything I feed it.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Tired of 300 blk cases landing neck down in your casefeeder tube? Here's a quick fix I came up with.

I just cut a paperclip in half, shaped it into a "lazy" L, so it would ride just under the plate and attached it with small binder clip for quick removal.

Works pretty well for me. :)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Tired of 300 blk cases landing neck down in your casefeeder tube? Here's a quick fix I came up with.

I just cut a paperclip in half, shaped it into a "lazy" L, so it would ride just under the plate and attached it with small binder clip for quick removal.

Works pretty well for me. :)

Genius!

But some day, even binder clips will be a regulated purchase...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Reloaded 100 6.5 creedmoor and 200 223. Was a long night on the rockchucker :)

the IS a long night on a rockchucker, but makes every shot bring a smile because you know what went into it. i found i fling bullets down range faster if it's from a progressive press compaired to the rockchucker.

about to crank out another batch of groundhog food; 300 win mag of 223, haven't decided yet.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Tumbling a hundred 6.5CM and a bunch of .300AAC together. They are dissimilar enough that I'm not worried about sorting them.
    Later on tonight, I will de-prime and clean the pockets on the 6.5CM. They got enough sand and dirt on/in them from shooting prone at Peacemaker I decided to tumble before de-priming and reforming the cases.

You need a wet tumbler. I use a universal decapper then wet tumble with Dawn and a little Lemi-shine. Pockets are spotless.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Does looking at the bench count for anything?

So much to do, so little free time or disposable income. Got to get the .45 press back into service, need to start running .260 again - been hot/humid enough to just put it on hold, I'm ready for cooler weather.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Loaded up 300 rounds of 6mmbr for an upcoming 2 day match. Cleaned gun really good and shot 8 fouling rounds. Fingers crossed weather this weekend is nice.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Does looking at the bench count for anything?

So much to do, so little free time or disposable income. Got to get the .45 press back into service, need to start running .260 again - been hot/humid enough to just put it on hold, I'm ready for cooler weather.

Sure does it's reloading bench "related" right?

Waiting on bad weather, so I can become a "cellar dweller" as that's what other half calls me....

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom