• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I remember 7 years ago when there were a ton of steel combloc mags out there from many countries. Looks like those have mostly dried up, the ones I am seeing now are Croatian magazines. So what's the best bang for your buck now? Not interested in plastic or Bakelite magazines.

I also preferred the ones that were flat in the back as opposed to the steel ridge most of the ones I see nowadays have, those cut into my hand.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The flatbacks are all going to be pre-ban Chinese, or Chugo (Chinese exported from Yugoslavia). A few years ago a ton of new, old-storage flatbacks came in by way of Yugoslavia for around $10-12 each, which took the bottom out of the post-ban market. So thankfully you can still find the flatbacks pretty cheaply on the forums if you are diligent.

The best spined combloc are East Germans, Polish, Hungarian or Russian. But pretty much any milsurp combloc mag will work great, even the Romanians with their sloppy welding and grind jobs. The Yugoslavians also had an interesting design with a pop-up follower.

The Bulgarians started producing thinner metal mags for export only, there are also crappy South Korean exports out there. Basically avoid anything not originally made for a military contract. I can't speak for anything newer hailing from Croatia but for years they exported a mixed bag of milsurp mags originating from any number of countries. Pretty much dumping whatever was left from the conflict.

The amount of imported AK stuff has definitely dropped off, from parts kits to mags to barrels. Not sure why, but the heady days of easy parts definitely seem to be behind us.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I have bought and used the Croatian mags. They are BHO, which I like, and have been 100% reliable for me. My only complaint is that the finish is very thin - but it's easy enough to just rattle can them. PSA has them cheap right now. I think they're selling a package of 5 Croatian and 5 Pmags for $89. Sale ends this weekend I think.

Edit: I see that you're looking for a flat spine. The Croatian are flat. IMO unless you're a collector or don't like the BHO feature, these are a steal at $8.99. I'll probably buy another dozen or so. FYI, they are also a thinner steel than the Romanian and Yugo milsurps I have. I personally think they're plenty sturdy and appreciate the lighter weight, but some may prefer a more stout mag.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A lot of Chinese ones (with the flat back) were imported from the Balkans, so that's probably what it is. The Chinese ones are good since they don't have the ridge along the back. They're about $30 each right now.

Performance wise, the surplus mags are about identical unless they are damaged. They were all made to work in mil-spec AK's.

The Soviet waffle pattern aluminum mags are good too. You don't have to worry about rust and they don't weigh a ton. I would worry about denting them if you drop them in rocks.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    buy some bakelite mags or Circle 10 if you want the best

Circle 10s (from Arsenal in Bulgaria) are easier to find right now. I was looking for both.

I saw that AIM Surplus had 30-rd Polish AK mags the other day, but don't know how they're regarded.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I saw that AIM Surplus had 30-rd Polish AK mags the other day, but don't know how they're regarded.

Those are mags refinished with a heavy paint. Some people have got mags with active rust under the paint. They're ugly, but they work. On some AK's, you have to use them a bit to get them to loosen up since the paint makes for a tight fit.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Those are mags refinished with a heavy paint. Some people have got mags with active rust under the paint. They're ugly, but they work. On some AK's, you have to use them a bit to get them to loosen up since the paint makes for a tight fit.
    Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom