• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Does anyone have one and if so can they me what they think of this rifle? Reliability? Accuracy? cost of mags? I am interested in the 308 version. Seems like there are very few reviews that I can find.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    WOW! I remember discussing these back in '08. Not much since ;)
    I know DD214 purchased one back then, but I don't remember anyone else.

I'd try a search for MDS member XCRmonger. Terra worked there and made and responded to quite a few posts about that rifle :D

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    If I remember correctly, unlike Mrs. ROBINSON, Mr. ROBINSON was not known for his charming personality when purchasers had issues.

The SCAR came out, the ARMY dropped the replacement program for the M4, ARs got really, really cheap and plenty full and everyone pretty much forgot about ROBINSON and his XCR.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I remember them from way back, they were all the rage. Always expensive, parts could be an issue.

Guess its ok if you are trying to find something unregulated but there are other options.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Forgot all about the XCR. Always thought they were neat looking but I heard they had QC issues. Also, much like the SCAR, I see no particular reason for me to purchase one of these when for the same price I can have a pair of really good ARs.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I don't have a Robarms XCR but it's never been widely adopted so you are better off going with another ARternative.

There are a bunch of similar designs by competing manufacturers, including much bigger names that might have better staying power (like Sig, Beretta, and CZ). Quick change barrel, ambi controls, folding stock, some flavor of piston gas system. Whichever wins the day--that combination of features is the rifle of the future. But most of them will go the way of the XCR, interesting designs that will be impossible to find parts for.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Used to have one. Neat rifle. I ended up selling it new and unfired less than a year later to fund an SR-15. Best decision I ever made. The XCR was heavy and the only twist rate available was 1/9. It had some nice features like the bolt release. I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The XCR is an OK rifle, but the customer service is legend for being horrible. They also kinda dropped the ball on supporting the M96, which makes people real nervous about what will eventually happen to the XCR.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    So, the sense I am getting is that there is a reason this has been sitting on the shelf at a discounted price.

I believe the nail in the coffin was the owner's attitude towards folks having issues...

It will probably be a collectors item someday; like the AR-18 & 180...

kehvN

Dec 28, 2012
    Harford County
    I own 2 -Ls and I like them. These days I see the argument for staying with the AR given the market.

There is a small but close community surrounding the XCR with a few active dealers for customer support. There are guys running them in competition shooting as well.

Also I believe a few foreign countries have adopted the rifle.

Not quite so sure on the -M variant. There are different reviews on accuracy but not sure they can be trusted.

accokeek

MDS Supporter
    Mar 4, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    FWIW, I have an XCR-L in 7.62x39 and it has been both quite accurate and reliable. Communications with Robinson Arms can be a bit erratic, but generally have been satisfactory. I'm waiting for a 6.5G conversion kit for the rifle. With the 7.62x39 round you have to pay attention of magazines, but both ASC and C-Products, Gen-2 have worked well. With the relatively broad availability of piston AR uppers some of the advantages of the XCR are reduced, but it is an interesting design and a nice rifle

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom