• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    One thing about Bitcoin and other alternative forms of value such as precious metals is that eventually the owners want to turn it back into dollars. Cash is still king.

Or hard goods that cannot easily be purchased or produced, should things be bad enough as to trash the dollar as well.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I could see trading in Bitcoin to make money.

But to invest for SHTF makes no sense. No power, no Bitcoin. No internet, no Bitcoin.

And add that it has no value and no backing......

For SHTF, it is cash, precious metals, and ammo.

IMO, .22 LR would be the coin of the realm in a real SHTF situation.

To prepare for one event is to be prepared for only one event. In a severe TEOTWAWKI, I doubt cash would have value for long, and precious metals perhaps not much longer (you can't eat a bar of gold). Stocks, bonds, cybercoins? No Bueno. Serious about TEOTWAWKI investing? Look to guns, ammo, seeds, booze, long term food stuffs, toilet paper, etc... I think would have greater trade value. Paper maps and books (especially practical books on gardening, homesteading, water purification) would probably have value. Any kind of drugs (I'm thinking legal stuff here, though the other I suppose would have a ready audience...though they may not have much you want in return) and medical supplies would have value.

I think we need to define SHTF. I don't think it necessarily means a grid down scenario. And even if it does, it doesn't necessarily mean a permanent grid down scenario.

More likely...severe weather event, riots, fire, political unrest, civil war, ATF sting, PANDEMIC or even a more mundane divorce or medical or financial emergency. Being able to ride out an event for a few weeks to a few months or maybe a year is, I think, a much higher probability. Ready cash can get you through a short term period of strife. After that, having something that can be transferred into cash can be a happy thing.

Assuming we aren't talking a complete end of the world scenario, I guess bitcoin will give some of the advantages of cash in a digital form. How many people actually use it, though? Can you buy a loaf of bread with it? It seems to me that for a prepping scenario, an ATM card with a stuffed bank account might be a more practical scenario. Unless, I suppose, the goal is anonymity.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    WE keep a pretty good jag of cash on hand. Safes are obvious places for it but where else might be good............. bury it? Years ago when I burned wood I would stash it and select pistols in the wood burning stove during summer months. That's no longer an option since we have ventless gas as backups.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    WE keep a pretty good jag of cash on hand. Safes are obvious places for it but where else might be good............. bury it? Years ago when I burned wood I would stash it and select pistols in the wood burning stove during summer months. That's no longer an option since we have ventless gas as backups.

Years ago in a house I had in Wheaton we had the water heater crap out and leaked , Well I had a buddy from H.S. that was a Plumber replace it and I took the old one and gutted it set next to the new one ran pipes up to were the new one's went in the wall , made a door on the backside so not to be seen unless you really got around the back of it , Had shelves in it and kept things of value that didn't need to be messed up regulatory , When I sold that house I told the buyers about it and I would remove it if they wanted me to , They said no and thought that was a real feature .

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Long Term...

Precious Metals & Stones:
    Who's going to have the gear to reliably test genuine metal or stones?
    How are you going to split that precious to buy a roll of toilet paper, pack of Marlboro, six pack of IPAs or some penicillin?
    About the only time they would be of practical use is when attempting to rebuild wealth long after a major catastrophic event.

Electronic Banking & Digital Currency:
    And you want to be off the grid?
    Good luck in third world countries.
    Without electricity, Internet and someone else to accept a transaction, useless without our modern infrastructure and willing participants.

Cash, Bartering & Services:
    Lower denominations preferred initially until everyone realizes the major catastrophic event will be long term and bartering will be the standard. Survival skill sets may be substituted for goods once services have been rendered.
    I wouldn't use ammo or arms to barter since it could be used against you; don't let others know of your stockpile or capabilities. Providing security could be an exception.

Survival:
    Violence will rule and armed bandits will get what they want.
    Strength in numbers to resist.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    How are you going to split that precious to buy a roll of toilet paper, pack of Marlboro, six pack of IPAs or some penicillin?
    About the only time they would be of practical use is when attempting to rebuild wealth long after a major catastrophic event.

Without electricity, Internet and someone else to accept a transaction, useless without our modern infrastructure and willing participants.

Lower denominations preferred initially until everyone realizes the major catastrophic event will be long term and bartering will be the standard. Survival skill sets may be substituted for goods once services have been rendered.
    I wouldn't use ammo or arms to barter since it could be used against you; don't let others know of your stockpile or capabilities. Providing security could be an exception.

Survival:

Precious metals come in smaller denominations.
    https://assetstrategies.com/5-reasons-to-buy-junk-silver-self-reliance-central

People who deal in precious metals can test the metals.
    https://www.riogrande.com/article?name=Platinum-Gold-Silver-Testing-IS

And have test kits.
    https://www.riogrande.com/searchres...out=card&numberOfResults=36&f:categoryfilter=[Tools%20%26%20Equipment,Measuring%20%26%20Testing,Testing]

Most precious and semi precious stones are identifiable by sight if you know what to look for for the untrained wanting to deal in diamonds testers are available at reasonable prices (compared to the price of diamonds).
    https://www.riogrande.com/searchres...sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=36

Agreed that skills to provide something needed is the ultimate barter, which is why I practice Blacksmithing.
    It's Not A Hobby It's A Post-Apocalyptic Life Skill

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To prepare for one event is to be prepared for only one event. In a severe TEOTWAWKI, I doubt cash would have value for long, and precious metals perhaps not much longer (you can't eat a bar of gold). Stocks, bonds, cybercoins? No Bueno. Serious about TEOTWAWKI investing? Look to guns, ammo, seeds, booze, long term food stuffs, toilet paper, etc... I think would have greater trade value. Paper maps and books (especially practical books on gardening, homesteading, water purification) would probably have value. Any kind of drugs (I'm thinking legal stuff here, though the other I suppose would have a ready audience...though they may not have much you want in return) and medical supplies would have value.

I think we need to define SHTF. I don't think it necessarily means a grid down scenario. And even if it does, it doesn't necessarily mean a permanent grid down scenario.

More likely...severe weather event, riots, fire, political unrest, civil war, ATF sting, PANDEMIC or even a more mundane divorce or medical or financial emergency. Being able to ride out an event for a few weeks to a few months or maybe a year is, I think, a much higher probability. Ready cash can get you through a short term period of strife. After that, having something that can be transferred into cash can be a happy thing.

Assuming we aren't talking a complete end of the world scenario, I guess bitcoin will give some of the advantages of cash in a digital form. How many people actually use it, though? Can you buy a loaf of bread with it? It seems to me that for a prepping scenario, an ATM card with a stuffed bank account might be a more practical scenario. Unless, I suppose, the goal is anonymity.

Some people will still take gold. They want what they want.

But cyber currency is not available during even a temporary grid out situation. And this includes money in the bank.

And once the grid is back, you can go back to using your credit cards.

The problem with guns and bars of gold is, what if you are trying to trade for one can of SPAM? You need something in smaller denominations.

That is where ammo or booze or spices or (longer term) seeds are usable currency

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Some people will still take gold. They want what they want.

But cyber currency is not available during even a temporary grid out situation. And this includes money in the bank.

And once the grid is back, you can go back to using your credit cards.

The problem with guns and bars of gold is, what if you are trying to trade for one can of SPAM? You need something in smaller denominations.

That is where ammo or booze or spices or (longer term) seeds are usable currency

Silver dimes and quarters , Salt , Spices , Aspirin , Tylenol , Pepto, booze and forget that Hi End Booze it's the Apocalypse they won't care , Ammunition even the hunting cal stuff because that old 30-30 winchester is no good without ammo , Socks and footwear , soap ,rechargeable batteries and solar chargers big money there , All of that will be highly tradable goods ,

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Survival:

The old habit of clipping coins will come back. all you need to split some silver or gold off of a bar is a piece of metal and a rock.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    In general, for daily transactions, “junk silver” will be ideal for a post-collapse currency. You don’t need to trade an ounce of gold for a can of spam…. Smaller silver coins will retain value if precious metals are still desirable. I don’t think that there has ever been a time in recorded history when precious metals have not held value… through war, famine, disaster, and economic collapse, precious metals have survived as an instrument of value. (That being said.... dime bags of ammo will likely also be a valuable currency).

At current silver “melt” prices:
    Silver Nickels (1942-1945) are worth about $1.55
    Silver Dimes (1892-1964) are worth about $1.99
    Silver Quarters (1892-1964) are worth about $4.99
    Silver Half Dollars (1892-1964) are worth about $9.98
    40% Silver Half Dollars (1965-1970) are worth about $4.08
    Silver Dollars (1878-1935) are worth about $21.33
    40% Silver Dollars (1971-1976) are worth about $8.72
    Silver Eagles (1986-current) are worth about $27.55

These are just silver content value, of course numismatic value may be more, but that would probably drop during a crisis situation.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    30-30 Ammo is untouchable unobtanium around here right now.

If you find it, $1.50-3.00/per round.

Why? Common hunting caliber the Fudd's had on hand? Really going to enjoy that lever action in a defensive shooting?

What makes this such an in-demand round compared to 5.56, 7.62x39/51, or even .300Mag?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Don’t know why other than demand is thru the roof.

Every young fella thru old fella here has a chain saw and a 30-30. Hell, lots of the gals own guns...pistols and rifles.

30-30 is way popular. MILSURP isn’t what they have in the truck or what they reach for in a jam. Most of them hand down their guns across multiple generations.

They dint keep lots of ammo on hand. They do get that social and political and economic times are getting rough.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Damn. I just checked my spreadsheet and have only 160 rounds of 30-30. I swore I had more than that squirreled away...

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I think we need to define SHTF.

This is the most salient statement made in this entire thread and it deserves to be bolded, punctuated and repeated over and over again.

Mankind invented currencies to trade non-durable goods and services mostly for other non-durable goods and services. Distance, time, whatever the circumstances, there was a need to be able to enter into a market where your goods or services were not needed by all and/or your goods and/or services had a shelf life or impracticality in delivery.

This only works in a stable economy.

If the economy isn't stable, you NEED, the basics of homeostasis, food, water and security. Those things have value regardless of the event, economy, coup, war, anarchy, plague, scourge or current state of affairs.

Cash is important and I've mentioned that we keep some close by. If the grocery store shortages went on for months, cash would be worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom