• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Does anyone have any firsthand experience with an EOTech Vudu 1-6x24?

I want a low power, magnified red dot for a Browning .308 BAR.

I love the EOTech EXPS2's I have on my ARs and would like to stay with them but would be very interested in hearing some first hand feedback.

Other than the price, the only consistent complaint I have hear is the reticle can be hard to see in bright, direct sunlight.

I am looking at the SR-1 reticle model. Most shooting will be inside 200 yards.

Thanks in advance.

This is the EOTech I am talking about and this is the gun I am looking to put it on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 3.43.11 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 3.43.11 AM.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 811
    • BAR.jpg
      BAR.jpg
      14.2 KB · Views: 663

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    From my limited experience with it: the glass is comparable to peers in price range (good quality), the SR1 reticle is very fast, the illumination is worthless in sunlight, the eye relief is forgiving, and the warranty is very poor relative to Vortex, Leupold, Primary Arms (Platinum), etc. Additionally the new owners are really the old owners who aren’t trusted to keep the same consistent QC as under L3 Harris.

Overall I’d say it’s a good product as long as you start with the expectation that you will be looking at a black/maroon reticle in a lot of lighting conditions, and don’t mind the acceptable but weak warranty. Personally I am happy with EOtechs when uncle sugar is footing the bill, but generally prefer companies with no questions asked warranties when I am ponying up the cash.

Bonus: The 1-8 SFP doesn’t have a donut of death, but is daylight bright. In case that matters.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    trijicon has a new ooptic called the credo. apparently very good and cheaper.

rave reviews for the vortex razor HD - 1500

that will be a cool gun, i like

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Credo is just a rebranded Accupower. It's not really a new scope.

If Eotech really got the 1-8x SFP to be genuinely daylight bright (ala the Vortex Razor, Sig Hellfire, Leupold FireDot, etc.), that's a pretty big win on their part. The 1-6 is definitely not daylight bright in FFP or SFP variant. I would absolutely buy the C-More C3 for $815 again before I bought an Eotech Vudu 1-6. The C-More's illumination isn't quite daylight bright in the worst conditions, but the reticle is better than almost everything else on the market if you've got a load that comes close to its specs. If Sig ever releases a Tango6 with a Hellfire BDC reticle and gets it to $1000 or under, that's going to be the scope to beat, IMHO. Until then, the Razor is king for a reason... a lifetime warranty won't make a bad optic better, but if I'm distinguishing between two really good reliable optics, it does make a difference to me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Look through them if you can, lots of money to spend on a scope sight unseen, or going by what others think.

I have looked through one when they came out. I really like the reticle, and like you, have a couple of their HWS models, but it is definitely not daylight bright, and the outer ring isn't quite as useful as a result for quick shots up close. I generally like FFPs, but it's wasted until you go past 200 yards, and sometimes the SFP's consistent reticle shape is better than a FFP's consistent MIL marks/BDCs. The glass clarity, field of view, eye relief etc were good, but unremarkable given the cost. Most of the "daylight bright" reticles are a single dot, seems to be it's hard to get an LED bright enough to light up much more than that, the exception being Trijicon's Accupoint, they are easily daylight bright, and the 1-6 looks great, but at the expense of the big Fiber optic donut that makes magnification changes a bit awkward. Haven't handled the new Trij Credo, but the Accupower it replaced had good glass, and a good reticle, jut not fully daylight bright, IMO it was comparable to the Vudu in most ways. The Vortex Razor IMO has noticeably better optics, especially at 1x, and is easily daylight bright, even the PST2 has optics comparable to the Vudu, and a daylight bright dot, but a lot less expensive.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    From what I understand the 1-8 SFP uses a fiber optic to illuminate the red dot. When I looked through it, I did my standard scientific test of point it near the sun and see if I can see it. I thought it did well. It isn’t aimpoint bright but I thought it was usable in a good range of lighting conditions. The reticle lacks any sort of windage compensation, which is sort of a bummer.

I’m hoping the upcoming Primary Arms gold LPVOs made in The Philippines will be Vortex Viper PST II 1-6 bright. I really like the ACSS reticles they put out.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    From what I understand the 1-8 SFP uses a fiber optic to illuminate the red dot. When I looked through it, I did my standard scientific test of point it near the sun and see if I can see it. I thought it did well. It isn’t aimpoint bright but I thought it was usable in a good range of lighting conditions. The reticle lacks any sort of windage compensation, which is sort of a bummer.
    If it's FO, it's probably good to go, yeah. That is how all the other SFP scopes pull it off. FFP scopes have to use a diffractive reticle technology that's patented, which is presumably why you don't really see that too often.

I don't know why so many of these scope manufacturers can't figure out the reticle, especially Sig, Trijicon, and Leupold, who come really close and then just blow it for various reasons. To go back to the C-More C3, that is pretty much my definition of a great 3gun reticle, and it's friggin' awesome even without illumination. The Razor Gen III also has a pair of really good reticles - hopefully the next Razor 1-6 SFP scopes borrow heavily from them.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with Trijicon on warranty issues?

I really like that Trijicon 1-4X Credo. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Not sure what the difference is between the Credo and the AccuPower models besides $100.

The Vortex's look very nice and I like their warranty, they are just a bit more than I wanna spend.

I did pick up the BAR today from J2.

Attachments

• My BAR, Day 1.jpg
      My BAR, Day 1.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 585

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The credo 1-8 I looked through had nice glass, decent reticle, and weak illumination. Haven’t looked through the 1-4. IF illumination and warranty concerns you, the Steiner P4Xi 1-4 and Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6 are the most economically friendly scopes. After that you’re probably looking at the Burris 1-8 SFP and Vortex Razor 1-6. Unfortunately I can’t find the Cmore 1-6 that erwos loves for a price I’m happy with, but I think it’s pretty safe if he’s recommending it.

If illumination does not concern you, any of the scopes people are talking about in this thread will be fine, including the EOTech vudu series. Not mentioned but also pretty good are the Meopta Optika 1-6 series, but illumination on the SFP is daylight visible at best. The question becomes what combination of toughness, warranty, “glass” quality (more properly user experience), reticle, size/weight, price, and illumination can you live with?

Probably most helpful for us would be what is your budget? Because based on your original question I was assuming you were in the $1000+ budget range.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    The credo 1-8 I looked through had nice glass, decent reticle, and weak illumination. Haven’t looked through the 1-4. IF illumination and warranty concerns you, the Steiner P4Xi 1-4 and Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6 are the most economically friendly scopes. After that you’re probably looking at the Burris 1-8 SFP and Vortex Razor 1-6. Unfortunately I can’t find the Cmore 1-6 that erwos loves for a price I’m happy with, but I think it’s pretty safe if he’s recommending it.

If illumination does not concern you, any of the scopes people are talking about in this thread will be fine, including the EOTech vudu series. Not mentioned but also pretty good are the Meopta Optika 1-6 series, but illumination on the SFP is daylight visible at best. The question becomes what combination of toughness, warranty, “glass” quality (more properly user experience), reticle, size/weight, price, and illumination can you live with?

Probably most helpful for us would be what is your budget? Because based on your original question I was assuming you were in the $1000+ budget range.

I appreciate the help. I'd like to come in under ~$1,500 if possible. The Vortex's I saw were well over that mark unless I was just looking at the wrong ones (or from the wrong retailer).

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I appreciate the help. I'd like to come in under ~$1,500 if possible. The Vortex's I saw were well over that mark unless I was just looking at the wrong ones (or from the wrong retailer).
    vortex razor hd-e gen2 1-6 retails for around $1200, but I’m not sure how in stock it is. Not sure the JM-1 is a good BDC for you, but you’d need to check something like strelok pro for your holds and see. The MRAD reticle is ok, not great.

Straight up the best reticle I’ve used on an LPVO is the Gen 1 primary arms platinum 1-8 ACSS, but you run into the issue of super dim illumination. I hear Hawke has an HD 1-6 that is fantastic for hunting minus the illumination, same for SWFA HD 1-6.

I guess my point is that if you told me today that you had $10k for an optic, I would still be like “these are probably your best bet, but . . . “. That’s why you need to figure out what’s important to you. For 200 yards and in, I’m not sure I could justify a Razor 1-6 over a Viper 1-6 when you’re talking about an MOA or MRAD reticle.

ETA: don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Maybe a vortex UH1 or eotech + magnifier is your best bet for what you want. Or if you can stretch to $1800-$2000 then Nightforce NX8 1-8 and Razor 1-10 become serious contenders. Or maybe a Burris RT6 is what you should buy first to see how you like LPVOs on your BAR. Hell it’s just refreshing to not try to answer the typical question of “I’ve got $300 max, tell me about all the fantastic bombproof optics that I shall deign to spend my kings ransom upon.”

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    vortex razor hd-e gen2 1-6 retails for around $1200, but I’m not sure how in stock it is. Not sure the JM-1 is a good BDC for you, but you’d need to check something like strelok pro for your holds and see. The MRAD reticle is ok, not great.

Straight up the best reticle I’ve used on an LPVO is the Gen 1 primary arms platinum 1-8 ACSS, but you run into the issue of super dim illumination. I hear Hawke has an HD 1-6 that is fantastic for hunting minus the illumination, same for SWFA HD 1-6.

I guess my point is that if you told me today that you had $10k for an optic, I would still be like “these are probably your best bet, but . . . “. That’s why you need to figure out what’s important to you. For 200 yards and in, I’m not sure I could justify a Razor 1-6 over a Viper 1-6 when you’re talking about an MOA or MRAD reticle.

ETA: don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Maybe a vortex UH1 or eotech + magnifier is your best bet for what you want. Or if you can stretch to $1800-$2000 then Nightforce NX8 1-8 and Razor 1-10 become serious contenders. Or maybe a Burris RT6 is what you should buy first to see how you like LPVOs on your BAR. Hell it’s just refreshing to not try to answer the typical question of “I’ve got $300 max, tell me about all the fantastic bombproof optics that I shall deign to spend my kings ransom upon.”

I appreciate the help - optics are not my strong suite

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Garandthumb on YouTube did a good in depth review on this optic including daylight visibility and reticle selection. You should check it out.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I appreciate all the help. After reading a ton of reviews and watching a bunch of YouTube videos I ended up going with a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 MOA 1-6X

Additionally I ordered Browning BAR scope rings and a Vortex lever for the magnification ring from Midway.

Finding all the stuff in stock was the biggest challenge.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.05.38 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.05.38 PM.jpg
      24.5 KB · Views: 177
    • Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.09.41 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.09.41 PM.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 147
    • Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.09.09 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.09.09 PM.jpg
      25.3 KB · Views: 177

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I appreciate all the help. After reading a ton of reviews and watching a bunch of YouTube videos I ended up going with a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 MOA 1-6X

Additionally I ordered Browning BAR scope rings and a Vortex lever for the magnification ring from Midway.

Finding all the stuff in stock was the biggest challenge.
    Great to hear you found something within your budget. Please let us know how you like it.

IF you end up not being happy with it, Mid to high end Vortex optics tend to retain resale value quite well due to their warranty. I don’t think you’d have much trouble selling it off without losing much money.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Great to hear you found something within your budget. Please let us know how you like it.

IF you end up not being happy with it, Mid to high end Vortex optics tend to retain resale value quite well due to their warranty. I don’t think you’d have much trouble selling it off without losing much money.

Thanks, I appreciate all the help and info from you guys.

It was well under my Trijicon / EOTech / Aim Point budget but based on the reviews this seems to suit my needs as well or even better than some of the ones at twice or three times the price.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Well this is OBE for the OP, but here's a TFB review of the 1-8 SFP in case anyone in the future looks in on this thread hoping to find info about the Vudu line.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/11/18/eotech-lpvo/

I wonder if he got their newest version. If so, looks like my memory is slipping as to the brightness of the reticle. Does not even appear to be daylight visible. I think it would be dishonest to update my original posts, but I'd take this guy's word over mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom