• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Things seem to have slowed here a bit from where they were. As more does are coming in, seems the bucks are running less.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Oh he's rutting! Then he posed for a nice pic. Saw him again couple nights ago on a Spypoint and then Thursday evening chasing a doe.

Attachments

• MFDC6816.jpg
      MFDC6816.jpg
      62.9 KB · Views: 206
    • MFDC6817.jpg
      MFDC6817.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 203

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They killed another buck chasing some does last night.
    Everybody has seen them pushing does around but no witness to any actual tending or breeding.
    View attachment 299270
    View attachment 299271
    I think they're going to start culling some does over there on the R farm. May have only been one or two above average bucks that were killed since the opener.
    I have been needing a big 7 point for my collection. I've got everything from 6-12, except a 7.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Right when a doe is ready to be bred they’ll bed down usually with a buck 15-20 feet away.
    When she stands is when breeding occurs.
    Bucks will also flag with the tail horizontally,
    Younger or the non dominant ones will posture as they break out of the wood line into the open.
    That usually goes away once they get a look to see whose around or trot out into the field.
    I had two hot does chased over to my stand 4 spike bucks one year. They both got bred right in front of me while a decent 8 watched. He wasn't up to barging in and taking advantage so I stuck him. :party29:

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Sat all day. Had a yearling stop and say hi in the morning. At around 5 a doe walked behind me followed by I think this guy. If it wasn't him it was someone about the same size. They didn't see or smell me but there was no way I could move without them seeing me. I was hoping they would circle around in front of me into the open but they never came back. They are definitely moving. Hopefully I'll be able to sit all day Thursday. Trying to get something before everyone comes in with a rifle and adds pressure.

Attachments

• Buck.JPG
      Buck.JPG
      55.1 KB · Views: 196

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Saw quite a bit of movement this morning at o-dark-thirty on the way to work. (5:30AM in reality, but dang was it dark) Several does and yearlings and plenty of bucks out and about. So I don't think we're at lockdown yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hit soon.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I was out Tuesday and a hot doe came in at 7. Slow to walk and head on a swivel. Licking at her tail. It took until 10 for the "Boys" to show up. Two four points, a spike and maybe an 8, but I couldn't see him close. They never came out my side of the bedding area. Just all other sides. About 1:30 the doe finally came of my side, got around me and smelled me and took the party elsewhere. I could have shot ont he one 4 point 3 times, but wanted to let him grow.

Going out 8:30 or so and sit until 3 and see what happens today.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I saw deer in 3 different fields feeding on my way home from work. I was able to sneak to my one stand and get setup at 4:20. Its right at the edge of a cut corn field with a some thick woods/briers next to it. I had a mom and fawn and another doe come out and feed. Was really slow evening for the temps, I really thought more deer would be out feeding. This particular farm I've been seeing does but very few bucks. Last saturday I hunted I think I saw 12 does and 1 possible buck chasing a doe about 300 yds away.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I saw deer in 3 different fields feeding on my way home from work. I was able to sneak to my one stand and get setup at 4:20. Its right at the edge of a cut corn field with a some thick woods/briers next to it. I had a mom and fawn and another doe come out and feed. Was really slow evening for the temps, I really thought more deer would be out feeding. This particular farm I've been seeing does but very few bucks. Last saturday I hunted I think I saw 12 does and 1 possible buck chasing a doe about 300 yds away.
    It gets to be about this time when most does go in hiding to avoid the constant harassment, preferring to feed and stick to cover.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Yesterday on the way to my stand I saw a group of three does bedded down together, and on the way out a group of five together. While in the stand, I saw two more being chased by a six point. So a bit of the gauntlet rut wise. I let the six walk, but I'm starting to get itchy :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I had a 140"+ nine poimt walk by my stand at 25 yds this morning. Wished I had my bow instead of my Savage. :rolleyes:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Sat at another saddle in the area I've been posting about. Sat in front of a tree where I had a good view of the ravines in front of the saddle. Two does passed by me at about ten yards and didn't notice me. I had my Winchester 1873 .357 rifle with me but I passed because I wanted to see if a buck came by. I saw a tail at the end of shooting light so that may have been one of the bucks. Several fresh scrapes were on the saddle.

There was a guy hunting after shooting hours so I'm going to report him tomorrow. Hope they catch him tomorrow night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom