• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Son in law #2 has rattled in 3 bucks this week and spooked each one. Winded twice and this morning he tried to slow an incoming 6 pointer in by bleating and it was too much. They are responding to the rattle though.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Road kill activity really shot up in the last few days. Went from almost none to a warzone out here. Nothing like seeing a bald eagle feasting on a spike. But kicking myself for not putting some meat in the freezer on a dead 6 that I gave another year that is laying near the neighborhood entrance.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The rut always seems to be hot in one place and cold 'just down the road'.

I found out the reason for deer scarcity on my new farm. Midges.

This guy didn't get big by being dumb. He seems to think that the rut is on. Bonus deer tag target.

Attachments

• 11060119 copy.jpg
      11060119 copy.jpg
      124.1 KB · Views: 231

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I ran the same setup as last week when I whacked the 8pt. Doe target set up surrounded by estrous pee. By 830 I had seen 5 bucks. The first was on top of me withing 5 minutes of sitting down. Saw two shooter 8s, but neither gave me a shot. Wild morning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I went to one of my favorite spots in some thick timber today hoping to do some rattling and lure some bucks who were in the rut. The road up a hill to the area was too muddy for my 2 wheel drive truck to go up so I had to walk up there. As soon as I hit the woods I knew I was in trouble. First of all I forgot the antlers to use to rattle. DUH!!

Then I found that all the ice that was in the trees that had melted off the tree limbs was now on the ground everywhere and had refrozen overnight. Every step was a loud "crunch, crunch" noise. I knew that any deer within a couple of city blocks was alerted to my presence. I did bump a big deer that I saw leaving. It might've been the monster buck I passed up last year. I started out in his domain and I've seen him there every year for the past four years.

One good thing is that I saw a lot of fresh scrapes and could see where a lot of deer were bedding on the trail I take. The week before last a couple of out of state guys were scouting and told me that they didn't see any sign at all in the area. I don't think they did too well last week which was the week for them to hunt firearms on the rez. I walked about a half mile and sat for a bit but I knew it was a waste of time so I left. It's going to warm up so I might go up tomorrow and not go far into the woods so as not not make much noise and do some rattling.

Will report.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To all you tree huggers out there, 9am, bucks should be on their feet. Keep a sharp eye!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Feel like 38 and no rain

Lol, thanks.

I'll be out in the morning. There's a big buck that's been cruising the scrapes behind my neighbor. He came to 20 yards the other day, but must have smelled me. He stopped right behind the last tree before my shooting lane and stood still for 5 minutes before slowly turning around.

I don't have a stand here. Just sitting against a tree away from their trail. Might spread some doe pee tomorrow if that's a good idea.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorry...
    Looks like high pressure settling in. If so, rutting activity should be good.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20201113-085538_WeatherBug.jpg
      SmartSelect_20201113-085538_WeatherBug.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 175

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    In my blind not 30 minutes. So far today. Two bucks already. One chasing a fat doe and was out of range. The other spooked just as I was about to loose. It's of and running big-time folks!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They're on their feet. Just needed a little sunshine. This guy walked buy at 12 yds...

Attachments

• 20201113_094909.jpg
      20201113_094909.jpg
      210.9 KB · Views: 168

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom