Split Pea and Ham Soup

Canned 4 pints of SP&H soup

Last edited:

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today we canned 2 pints of Cowboy Candy cuz that’s how much peppers we had on hand, and made extra brine for 5 pints of Cowboy Candy pickled quail eggs, and one pine of leftover brine which we’ll use as a marinade for chicken or something.
    aa5fda1d5b495b6fe5a0fbbe5586500c.jpg

3afaf4cc10bc67f5ad64245542547e00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    First time for this Chile Con Carne recipe, turned out fine except that two of the jars seem to have “siphoned” and didn’t seal.
    3215a9bdba334eef3613f729024d254c.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Tried pressure canning some pinto beans, found out you arent supposed to leave the guage in freezing temps and if its bent it wont work!!@&*!@. So we ordered a weighted pressure regulator.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    This morning’s yield is 4 jars of Brandied Cherries which we use in cocktails, and 9 half-pints of Chocolate-Cherry-Pepper jam. The jam recipe doesn’t call for peppers, but I minced up a large jalapeño and one habanero pepper (no seeds). The recipe yielded a whole lot more volume than called for, so I hope it sets up.

2bbc715f6421f39ed65b0bd4dfb60275.jpg

EDIT: This jam did not set up, so today I followed the directions on the Certo Pectin insert to re-cook a 1-cup trial portion with 2 tbs. additional sugar and 1 tbs. of a fresh pectin solution.

Last edited:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I sent the wife to canning class last weekend.

So far, she's canned a bunch of "onion jam" and pickled asparagus. The onion jam is outstanding on burgers.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I sent the wife to canning class last weekend.

So far, she's canned a bunch of "onion jam" and pickled asparagus. The onion jam is outstanding on burgers.
    Both of those sound great. I will have to look them up. Pickled asparagus may be a good way to preserve some of my home grown crop.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    This morning’s yield is 4 jars of Brandied Cherries which we use in cocktails, and 9 half-pints of Chocolate-Cherry-Pepper jam. The jam recipe doesn’t call for peppers, but I minced up a large jalapeño and one habanero pepper (no seeds). The recipe yielded a whole lot more volume than called for, so I hope it sets up.

2bbc715f6421f39ed65b0bd4dfb60275.jpg

EDIT: This jam did not set up, so today I followed the directions on the Certo Pectin insert to re-cook a 1-cup trial portion with 2 tbs. additional sugar and 1 tbs. of a fresh pectin solution.

buy a candy thermometer you need to get the temp of the liquid up around 225 degrees to ensure it jells and sets.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Both of those sound great. I will have to look them up. Pickled asparagus may be a good way to preserve some of my home grown crop.

Pickled asparagus make a fantastic garnish for a Bloody Mary. Dang it, now I have to put that on the list as well :lol:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I just realized that we should can some of the crab meat that we harvest off the dock.
    Chesapeake crabs and crab soup in winter. That's a major score!

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    S.U. brought home 10 lbs. of chicken thighs at $.99/lb. Pulling out my canning recipe books, and will probably make some chili, and soup or stew, to put up.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We did a half a pig over a year back and it was tough. Don't know if it was an old pig or miss handled at the butcher, but all meat and loins were tough. Got to the point the wife and daughter didn't want to eat it. So I thawed it all, trimmed of fat and cut into one inch cubes and canned it all in pint jars.

I love it this way and it you get a sale on pork I'd recommend you try it too. I have chopped frozen peppers and a chopped onion, frozen peppers and a drained jar and I got quick Fajitas. Drain the jar and heat with BBQ and I got three pulled pork sandwiches.

You know that jelly from the old spam? The juice from the water you drain off is like that, but runnier. The wife says dump it, but I drink it.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    We did a half a pig over a year back and it was tough. Don't know if it was an old pig or miss handled at the butcher, but all meat and loins were tough. Got to the point the wife and daughter didn't want to eat it. So I thawed it all, trimmed of fat and cut into one inch cubes and canned it all in pint jars.

I love it this way and it you get a sale on pork I'd recommend you try it too. I have chopped frozen peppers and a chopped onion, frozen peppers and a drained jar and I got quick Fajitas. Drain the jar and heat with BBQ and I got three pulled pork sandwiches.

You know that jelly from the old spam? The juice from the water you drain off is like that, but runnier. The wife says dump it, but I drink it.
    When canning pork, it needs to be cooked low and slow first at 250 degrees until tender before canning. We freeze the pork first, the freezing helps break down the meat grain structure. Then we cook it in a oven with 1 inch of water in the pan tightly covered until done. Once done we have our chili already done and add it to the base. Place in quart jars, cook in pressure cooker at 10 psi for 90 minutes. We also mix shredded pork with our favorite BBQ sauce and can it as pulled pork. Very tasty.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Get an All American. I got the 915 and would like to have a 921 to do outside. Not sure the 921 would fit under the microwave on the stove in the house.

I raw packed the pork and 75 minutes in pints and its plenty tender. Got that cheaper Mexican chicken bullion at walmart and half a square in each pint.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Todays 4 quarts of chicken stew used 10 raw chicken thighs, skinned and boned. I augmented the recipe from one of the Ball books, with extra salt and black pepper, plus a large jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped.

This is the All American 910. Capacity is 4 quarts or 7 pints. I wish it was larger (don’t we all), but the convenience of being able to use it on our glass-top stove without risk of cracking it, is clutch for me, so I don’t have to dick around with canning outside on a propane burner.

b07912d88763ce2c82ef013c779b52ca.jpg

e4e14e57d7f2b0f691ff63cd67505603.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom