• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have a few Harris bipods and they very good. I bought an Atlas and it is much better built. You really can tell the difference. It feels so solid. That said, many may not care and find the Harris more than acceptable.

If I had to make a shot and only had one chance, I’d use the Atlas hands down.

YMMV.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I might pick up one of the Magpul ones. I have a shorty Harris on my Hogue Overmold bull barreled 10/22. My buddy had Chinese knockoff of the Harris and it's identical with slightly different feet. I got mine at Cabelas so don't think it's fake but they are identical. Bobro Engineering made some $400 ones I always was interested but just too much money.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I've got a retired military friend that has money to burn and has an atlas. It's built like a brick shit house and is cool to show off. I've got another friend that has a blank check from the govt to get whatever he wants. He runs a standard harris. this tells me all I need to know lol.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    . Got mine in today. Solidly built. It CAN tilt side to side. I like it!!

That only really matters if you're making range adjustments too. People think rifle cant matters, but it's actually the scope cant that matters when you dial in.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have a few Harris bipods and they very good. I bought an Atlas and it is much better built. You really can tell the difference. It feels so solid. That said, many may not care and find the Harris more than acceptable.

If I had to make a shot and only had one chance, I’d use the Atlas hands down.

YMMV.

+1 The cheaper bipods are fine for 22lr and even 223. When you start shooting larger calibers at longer ranges is when the added features of a more expensive bipod become helpful.

The magpul bipod looks pretty nice, it has a lot of high end features in a compact package. My biggest complaint and what will keep me from buying one is that the picatiny mount isn’t QD. I appreciate the low and sleek profile but I regularly pull my tripods off and move them between guns.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have two Harris’s and an Atlas, I like the Atlas. The new Magpul looks like a good alternative.

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    the atlas bipods allow you to turn left and right, and cant the rifle maybe 25 degrees either direction. so the idea is you could essentially set the bipod, then you could track a moving target and the legs would stay in place.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OK, I have three of the Magpul bipods. Two MLOK, one p-rail. One is mounted on a heavy-ish Ruger Precision Rifle, one is on a lighter weight Ruger American Rifle, and the third is hanging out on an AR-308.

They are excellent, especially given their very affordable price. Very sturdy and stable. Good range of motion. Easy to install. They pre-load very nicely no matter how you have them mounted on the rifle (legs forward or backward). I have two very minor critiques:
    1. The pan/tilt lock does not seem to work reliably for me in locking out all movement. Maybe I didn't twist it hard enough?
    2. The buttons for leg adjustment felt awkward to use in actual employment. It could very well be that this was a function of the rifle platform and not the bipod itself, though.

If you're doing the PRS thing, you will probably want to bump it up to an Atlas. But for tactical applications where you just need a good bipod for prone usage, this thing checks all the boxes nicely. I shot it to a thousand yards, and while it didn't do better than some good bags, it was good enough for 2 MOA steel work. I would have zero reservations recommending this. Definitely a game changer at the price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom