• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I would like to give a big thanks to Topher and Fire 4 Effect as well as Cresap Rifle Club for their help and for being a club of true ambassadors of the shooting sports. This is not the first time that their members have come to assist in training folks so that those representing the shooting sports can be fine examples for those new to our hobby.

I won't go in to a long drawn out story of the circumstances of our first meeting because there are a few that will remember it and it really isn't that important for story to bother with why. There was a public range that needed help to try and make it safer as an accident took place there and there was talk of it maybe being in danger of being closed. The members of Cresap not only took their time to drive down and teach a class of 20+ RSOs but they also had someone visit their own very successful public range to help them to better understand how a public range is made safe. Every member of cresap that we came in contact with was more than gracious and very helpful during this initial set up.

Background on current need: With concealed carry being possible in Maryland as well as the Utah and Florida permit popularity the training counselor at Baltimore County Game & Fish saw a need for more instructors in a concealed carry course so that we could try and promote safe and responsible carry for those in the area that would wish to take it. This class is for advanced shooters and has prerequisites prior to being able to take it, and it is very difficult to find it being given locally.

BCGF does approximately four classes per year that are open to the public and are very reasonably priced so that we can try to promote safety and educate shooters from beginner to experienced. The first thing you need to do regardless of what instructor certs you hold with the NRA you must take this class as a student prior to being able to take it to be an instructor. With the help of Mid-Atlantic Firearms we were able to accomplish this goal, kudo's to Parbreak for helping us out there.

My second encounter with this Cresap is when we learned that they Training Counselors had been certified to teach instructors in Personal Protection Outside the Home (PPOTH). Baltimore County Game & Fish (BCGF) has been trying to get some of our instructors certified to teach this for a couple of years as there aren't many training counselors that give this class in the state of Maryland. We reached out to them and asked if they would be interested in certifying a handful of our instructors to teach this course and without hesitation they said absolutely.

Forward to this weekend: Both Topher and Fire-4-Effect drove over an hour each way for two days to get us certified to teach this class and offer it here in the Northern Baltimore/Baltimore County/Harford County Area. These guys gave a great class and all of our instructors learned a lot over the past two days. These guys are two class acts and some of the finest ambassadors of our sport that I have known in my shooting years, which is more than I would like to admit to. They would accept no payment for themselves, so we gave a donation for their club. There are now 10 more instructors of this excellent NRA course thanks to Cresap, Topher and Fire-4Effect.

I would strongly encourage anyone in the Frederick area to take advantage of the courses offered at Cresap.

I can't thank you guys and your club enough!!!!

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Thanks!

Thanks 3rdRcn!

We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed teaching the class. The BCGF facility is very nice and both Chris and I really appreciated your hospitality!

I hope we can work together in the future on other projects. Oh, and Maybe next time we will leave the purse at home... :)

Phil

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    +1 on the quality of Cresap. I first went there with my older son probably 10 years ago to shoot 22 rifle. Next month, he returns from Afghanistan to become a shooting coach for his USMC battalion, the Lava Dogs of K-Bay, HI. And just yesterday I was at Cresap with my younger son (11 yrs old) shooting my new toy, the G19. RSO's were gracious and helpful. Talked to my son about his grip and aim, and respectfully coached me on safety at the range with a younger shooter.

You guys are great. Keep up the good work.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    +1 for Kudos to Topher and Fire-4-Effect

if you haven't taken a class yet with Chris and Phil, these guys are the bomb!! they are very professional, personable and just compliment each other all the way around. the training was excellent!!! The training this weekend went VERY SMOOTH!!

The guys at BCG&F are excellent...they have a first rate staff as well.

thanks to all for putting on some great training! FPS

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    3rdRCN

It truly was a pleasure.

BCGF has a good group of guys who were willing and eager to learn. And... from what I saw... BCGF has a training program with both the talent and drive to succeed!
    It was an outstanding weekend.

P.S. If pictures appear I will take back every nice thing I just said. ;)
    Now... I just need matching shoes for the next class. :rolleyes: (Inside joke)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom