• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've been sitting on a Polymer 80 kit for about 3 or 4 years now. Never got up the time or nerve to mill it out, but finally did this weekend. Upper is a Doublestar HB carbine lenght with USGI milspec BCG. CMMG LPK with ALG trigger group and hammer. PSA Milspec buffer and rear-end. Magpul MOE grip, UTG BUIS.

Only issue is that the Magpul mag isn't tripping the BHO, but CProducts mags and USGI mags will. Not sure what the issue is there, but it's easy enough to just use the CProducts stuff (and cheaper!)

Milling was pretty easy. Used a HF drill press and Shop Fox cross-slide to do it all. Found out (as many others have) that drilling holes to the prescribed depth with a drill bit and then using the end-mill to take out the remaining material was the best way to go about it since end-mills aren't really made for drilling straight down. Kept measuring twice and cutting once and didn't have any issues. Seems really solid. No upper wobble, everything mates up nice and tight. Looking forward to putting some rounds down range with it and seeing how it performs. Now that I've done one, I feel pretty confident in tackling an AR10 next.

0JapE9B.jpg

Last edited:

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    Poly build

It took me about 4 of those to get one that worked. I had one completely built and when using it, the pin that holds the buffer back broke. Actually the pin did not break, but the plastic assembly that holds it gave way.

I messed up the others with bad hole drilling and other stuff.

I did have to get retained pin sets as the pins kept sliding out of the lower.
    It does seem to work now, but I do not use is often. I do not know how long it will hold up.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    First rule about poly80 is don’t talk about poly80. Welcome to the club, it’s pretty awesome to know “I build that”

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It took me about 4 of those to get one that worked. I had one completely built and when using it, the pin that holds the buffer back broke. Actually the pin did not break, but the plastic assembly that holds it gave way.

I messed up the others with bad hole drilling and other stuff.

I did have to get retained pin sets as the pins kept sliding out of the lower.
    It does seem to work now, but I do not use is often. I do not know how long it will hold up.

I wouldn’t use the buffer retainer pin on a polymer lower. Don’t need it. Just remember to catch your buffer when you open the halves. Those pins can break and cause issues as it is. The way the system works, that looks like a good way to crack or wallow out the plastic of the lower right there.

I leave mine out of my GWACS lower. I do use them in my aluminum lowers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom