• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    What are the specific rules for 3 gun shotguns? Why not, for example, a Saiga, VEPR, or AR15 style shotgun?

You can use them but they will put you in open division. You can use red dots on the pistol and shotgun in open and bipods on the rifle. For tac ops, which is by far the most popular division, shotguns can't be mag fed.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Most matches, if u use mag fed or speed tubes, put u in open division. Same if u have red dot or a comp on your handgun.

Oops, 1t got me by a minute!

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Stoeger M3K does not seem like its available around here anywhere except Dicks, at least according to their distributor list. I am not a Dick, I refuse. Bass Pro does not carry them, only bird guns. Where are people getting these, Gunbroker?

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The Stoeger M3K does not seem like its available around here anywhere except Dicks, at least according to their distributor list. I am not a Dick, I refuse. Bass Pro does not carry them, only bird guns. Where are people getting these, Gunbroker?

Don't know how accurate the list is but this is from their web page.

TOP GUN FIREARMS LLC (MD)
    2800 BELAIR RD
    FALLSTON, MD 21047
    (410) 877-7120

CONTINENTAL ARMS
    9603 DEERECO RD SUITE 500
    TIMONIUM, MD 21093
    (410) 560-3609

ANGLER'S SPORT CENTER
    1456 WHITEHALL RD
    ANNAPOLIS, MD 21409
    (410) 757-3442

MOLLYS PLACE LLC
    12503 B AUGUSTINE HERMAN HWY
    KENNEDYVILLE, MD 21645
    (410) 348-9160

AUTUMN SKY OUTIFTTERS
    3404 CONOWINGO ROAD
    STREET, MD 21154
    (410) 836-3660

ATLANTIC GUNS INC. BT/ST
    944 BONIFANT ST.
    SILVER SPRING, MD 20910
    (301) 585-4448

ANGLER'S SPORT CENTER
    1456 WHITEHALL RD
    ANNAPOLIS, MD 21409
    (410) 757-3442

ATLANTIC GUNS INC.-ST ROCKVILLE
    601 HUNGERFORD DRIVE
    ROCKVILLE, MD 20850
    (301) 279-7983

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

I lucked into one with the factory mag extension at Hendershots in Hagerstown. I was looked for a non-Dicks supplier and called them to see what the turnaround time would be on an order and they had just gotten one in. He said they don’t usually have them in stock, but they were good to deal with.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The FN SLP is basically the same shotgun as the Win SX-2/SX-3 as in both are clones of the older Browning Gold, which Bennie Cooley used to win multiple USPSA Multi-gun titles. Except the Win SX does not have the auto-load first round feature so many competition Win SXs have Browning action parts. Anyway I had 2 Browning Gold shotguns when I decided to try 3-gun. I found out early that I could build 2 Mossberg 930s for the price of modifying and building one Browning. Heck just the barrel for the Gold cost more than a 930 JMP shotgun complete. So I ended up with the a 930 JMP. As long as you don't feed it the cheap Winchester ammo it runs fine on Federal from Wal-Mart. In fact all the guns I used for 3-gun shot very well with Wal-Mart Federal brand ammo, rifle, pistol, and shotgun.

Jimmmy1111

Feb 25, 2008
    Joppa,Harford Co.
    Browning A5

11401047_859902620744264_6744190095045986143_n.jpg

odomo

May 8, 2018
    Iowa,Des Moines
    I just bought a versa max tactical in 12ga with a 22" barrel, it's gas operated with 7+1 capacity (3" shells) and found it online for $1100. (grabagun)

I was also looking at the benelli m2 with comfortech stock, I understand that stock absorbs a lot of recoil, and the m2 is intertia driven so it will have a little more kick than a gas operated, but it's supposedly cleaner and more reliable, and it's also over a pound lighter than the gas guns. An m2 with comfortech is around $1300, but you'd need to get an extended magazine tube so add another $100.

____________________________________________________________________________
    There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
    My current project: dynamics crm development

Last edited:

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I just bought a versa max tactical in 12ga with a 22" barrel, it's gas operated with 7+1 capacity (3" shells) and found it online for $1100. (grabagun).

I got the competition tactical for $1278. I tried it at the skeet range and that barrel (rear sight) didn't work well for that. I did better with my 18" Marine Magnum. So I ordered a 28" versamax sportsman barrel for it. Will test that out the weekend after next hopefully. And I need to get some slugs to check the sights on the 22".
    It has less recoil than my 1100 which I thought was pretty light to begin with. My daughter definitely noticed the extra recoil in the Marine Magnum. It was her first time shooting shotguns. She preferred the 1100.

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    All the best shooters are running whatever their sponsors pay them to shoot, except the great shooters who don't have a shotgun sponsor or someone making demands all either shoot A5s or Benellis.

From my experience:
    - A5s have a tremendous advantage with the autoload feature, they work every time, they're as soft shooting as a Benelli (which is fair, but not great) and the A5 Posse is awesome! And still accepting new members.
    - Benellis are incredibly reliable, I sold mine to buy an A5 (no regrets).
    - Berettas are good trap and skeet guns. Not great 3 Gun shotguns, but not the worst either.
    - Remingtons are soft shooting but not terribly reliable, unless you keep them very clean and the tube dry. Either way, there's better options.
    - Mossbergs just don't work. Heartbreak is free with every purchase. I guess you get what you pay for.
    - FNs are soft shooting but maintenance intensive and heavy.
    - Stoegers are just cheap Benelli wannabes. The idea is good, the execution... not so much.
    - Winchesters are rare in 3 gun. I guess there's a reason for that. I don't know. Or care.

Just my humble opinion. Your results may vary,

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I haven't used my FN enough to get any malfunctions. That may change Saturday, since I'm shooting the Super Steel match at Peacemaker in the afternoon. Unfortunately for me, my battle belt with the spiffy new shell holders I got seems to have disappeared, so I'm going old school, weak hand under loading.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    So I am just curious, are there any rules on pistol grips on shotguns, or a rule that they cant have them? Why dont people use, say, something like a mag fed AR-12?

Mag fed shot guns will put you in open. In that class you can put a red dot on the shotgun and pistol and have 2 optics on your rifle.

Pistol grips are allowed but will probably slow you down. Loading the shotgun with load 2 or quad loading will require you to flip the shotgun in one manner or another depending on how you do it. A standard stock is much easier to manipulate and reacquire a grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom