• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Think I am going to buy a Ruger Precision Rifle. Just debating over .308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 6 Creedmoor.

Also going to build up 2 to 3 AR-10 rifles in the next couple of years. So, I'm trying to figure out which cartridge to get the RPR in.

Any recommendations?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Variety is the spice of life or so I am told. Get all 3 :)

All seriousness I had the 308 version and it didn't impress me with the accuracy that the 6.5 rifles did. My 5R shot much better than the Ruger and I found that the only ammo mine shot decent with was PPU match of all things. It did ok with 175gr FGMM and slightly worse with 168gr FGMM. Also keep in mind that mine was a first gen model but I do not believe they changed anything with the barrels from gen 1 to 2. I'm not going to claim I am the greatest shot at 100 yards off of a bench, but I'm pretty good. I had a lot of other rifles that shot much tighter than the RPR in 308. It would go consistent 1MOA or slightly larger, but rarely smaller like my Savages and 5R would.

If you have never shot a RPR keep in mind that a lot of people cannot stand the factory stock. I hated it and switched out to a Magpul PRS and it made it much better.

This was my experience.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have the .308 RPR and it is easily a sub MOA gun all day long. Mine is 1st gen but I changed the bolt shroud to aluminum and the stock to a Magpul PRS. You can always change calibers by simply changing barrels although it would need to be properly head spaced.
    Definitely my favorite rifle I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Think I am going to buy a Ruger Precision Rifle. Just debating over .308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 6 Creedmoor.

Also going to build up 2 to 3 AR-10 rifles in the next couple of years. So, I'm trying to figure out which cartridge to get the RPR in.

Any recommendations?

I love my RPR 6.5 Creedmore. I can find Ammo for $11.99 a box online which does help with shooting cost but it isnt the cheapest round. It is a great long distance round though Just my .02

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I have friends that shoot the 6.5 at the AGC 200 yard range.
    They feel the 6.5 should be shot at longer ranges.
    Accuracy at 200 yards is to easy a challenge.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I have been eyeing an RPR or similar. the caliber choice for me comes down to not wanting to add another orphan caliber so I would for sure go 308, but everyone else may be in a diff situation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It depends .

That said , 6.5 Creed .

Reasonings - If you are specifically looking for an RPR , it implies a presumption that you are interested in accuracy and long range capability .

6mm Creed is fine ctg , but purely handloading .

6.5 Creed while encouraging handloading , does have semi- available, and increasing factory ammo . And the larger dia would be better for hunting use .

To take advantage of the accuracy potential, you won't be using cheap generic .308 ammo . That would be either your handloads, or Match grade factory ammo . FGGM isn't that much more common on local shelves than 6.5 Creed .

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks everybody. I do reload and I have .308 Win dies, but I do not have 6.5 dies yet. Guess it won't be that big of a deal to get the 6.5 dies. I also happen to have 500 or so cases of .308 Win, but not a single one of 6.5. Granted, pretty sure they sell brass for 6.5, so not a terrible problem there and I can load the .308 Win for an AR-10 down the road. Alright, think I am going to go with 6.5. I'v read article upon article and one barely comes out ahead for the .308 Win and the next one barely comes out ahead for 6.5 and so it goes.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    RPR's are heavy so I'd say go with a long range cartridge (6.5CM). If you happen to buy a .308 version I have a stock barrel in 6.5CM that has less than 500 rounds through that I'd let go for a couple hundred if you decide you wanted to go a different route.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County

Any recommendations?
    I would get the 6.5 also but I would look at the Tikka TAC A1. I believe they are more accurate out of the box but a bit more $$. Fit and finish is a bit better on Tikka also.
    I have a friend who is selling a NIB RPR in 308 if you are interested.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    I would get the 6.5 also but I would look at the Tikka TAC A1. I believe they are more accurate out of the box but a bit more $$. Fit and finish is a bit better on Tikka also.
    I have a friend who is selling a NIB RPR in 308 if you are interested.

Hi-Jack!!

I might be interested. What Gen. and how much?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    RPR's are heavy so I'd say go with a long range cartridge (6.5CM). If you happen to buy a .308 version I have a stock barrel in 6.5CM that has less than 500 rounds through that I'd let go for a couple hundred if you decide you wanted to go a different route.

I'd rather save the money and weight by getting the Ruger Predator.

Thanks everybody. I do reload and I have .308 Win dies, but I do not have 6.5 dies yet. Guess it won't be that big of a deal to get the 6.5 dies. I also happen to have 500 or so cases of .308 Win, but not a single one of 6.5. Granted, pretty sure they sell brass for 6.5, so not a terrible problem there and I can load the .308 Win for an AR-10 down the road. Alright, think I am going to go with 6.5. I'v read article upon article and one barely comes out ahead for the .308 Win and the next one barely comes out ahead for 6.5 and so it goes.

Fabs- I have some 6.5CM starter brass for you. Let me know if you want it and I will bring it to the pig roast.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Gen I .308 purchased in Nov 2016. Got coupon for free upgraded bolt shroud and muzzle brake (cost extra for Gen I but Gen II’s were out already and had these as standard equipment). Love this rifle. Only can go out 200 yds at home range, and frankly it’s almost too easy. One day I’ll get somewhere where I can test her out to 500, 600, 1000 perhaps?

Truth be told, this was impulse buy. Was at Dicks (way, way before boycott so don’t judge me) buying ammo for deer season and they had one left. Was hoping for 6.5 Creedmore, but nobody had any of either caliber for a good while. I grabbed it while I could and haven’t regretted it once. I don’t reload and factory ammo was 1,000 times more available for .308 in 2016, still more available than 6.5 today but that gap is closing. I can’t speak for the 6.5 one way or the other but damn I like the .308 version.

Side note - Recently picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmore. Allegedly the trend is going to 6mm in lieu of the 6.5 in the long range / precision world (currently a PRS “wannabe” but hope to upgrade to actual participant this year). Haven’t shot her yet but rifle seems solid and has great reviews for Long range shooting. It just doesn’t look as “tacticool” though. BTW - Wanna talk hard-to-find ammo? - then this is your caliber.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Buy one now and then get the additional caliber(s) later...

Other than that and for your scenario, I think the decision is between .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Easy to load and you can get the precision ammo if you're in a bind. Having said that, I would drive the 6mm all day long. (Just a preference due to recoil, speed, and less wind/drop... You'll lose downrange energy though.)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'd rather save the money and weight by getting the Ruger Predator.

Yeah, but that isn't really an issue for me with the following in the safes:

Ruger 77MKII in .300 Win Mag

Ruger 77MKII in .220 Swift

Rem 700 in .270 Win

Savage 110 in .30-06

Then, there will be the AR rifles too.

I can just pick a lighter rifle if I want to. It isn't like this rifle is going to be my one and only rifle. I was debating between a Sako RTG-42 or a McMillan and this RPR, and it really is hard to justify the expense of the Sako or the McMillan when this RPR is pretty darn good out of the box. Now, since Ruger does not offer something in a RPR format in .338 Lapua or .50 BMG, that Sako or McMillan might be the ticket there. However, those bazookas will have to wait for a couple years.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Get all three. Buy one now and then get the additional barrels for the other two later...

I was debating the additional barrel thing too. Seems like a complete PITA to swap them out and then deal with zeroing everything all over again. I was debating it so much that I was looking for somebody that makes an AR pattern bolt gun with an upper that could be swapped scope and all. I have no idea why these companies have not come up with precision bolt rifles that have a separate upper and lowers like an AR, wherein a shooter can swap upper, barrel, and scope all as a single item.

Think I will just buy additional RPRs in the short action calibers if I decide to add another cartridge to the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom