• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    What do most of you have for keeping your shooting level. A conversion Kit for your 1911 or a separate 1911/22Lr Pistol?? Recommendations

Thanx,

Jim

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I have the following 22lr conversion kits:

Kimber 1911 kit (S&W 1911TA)
    Advantage Arms G17 kit (G34)
    Sig Sauer P226 kit (P226 Elite)

All three run great!

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I've had a couple of conversion kits. One for was factory Sig conversion for a P226 and the other was a Tactical Solutions for a Glock 19. In the end, I got rid of both and just got an M&P22.

While working with the same trigger and frame is great in theory, it's really not. I did not care for the lack of slide lock on the Sig and goofy magazines and lack of reliability in the TacSol.

For a little more, you can get a another pistol, so I would go that route again in a heartbeat. The M&P has been the single most reliable .22 pistol I have ever shot. I have about 2K rounds of Mini-mags, AR Tactical, and Rem Golden Bullets through it and zero malfunctions, even after several hundred rounds in one outing.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have used a Ciener 22 LR upper as a conversion unit for several years. It actually reduced the weight and space used in my bag that way. I can use the same holster, it has the same feel and controls are the same. When shooting from the draw and for speed it is nice to have everything the same as the centerfire guns I compete with. Reloading magazines is the same. The only thing I didn't like was in cool weather I had to use a separate mainspring housing with a very light mainspring. This was the only way the pistol would run well. That, always well lubed and good HV ammo it likes, like Mini Mags. This upper is now on a frame dedicated for use as a 22LR. More an issue with the frame than any other factor. I must admit, it is nice to have the frame tuned for the 22 and just putting it and the spare mags in the bag for range time.

The firing pin was broken in this upper for awhile. I admit I missed not having it. So when I ordered the firing pin I bought a spare. I have two Ruger MK II's. Neither has the same feel or function as the 1911 so I don't use them as much for practice as I do the Ciener conversion.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Buy a Ruger mkiii . Same grip angle and control locations as a 1911. At 300 b350 dollars, about the same price as a conversion and mags are cheaper.

Last edited:

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    I have several conversion kits for various pistols, including a Marvel 1911 conversion. All are good. All have their little peculiarities. For accuracy work, the Marvel is much better than most.

An alternative is getting something like a Ruger 22/45. After replacing the grips and a few internal parts, it makes a good 1911 sub gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    .22lr 1911 . Kind of backed into it. At the deepest era of stripped shelves in April , was in need of picking up a .22lr of some type . A Colt Railgun .22lr was in stock at decent price , and the understudy aspect was a bonus.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    I got a ciener .22 conversion kit from midway (so I wouldn't have to deal with the atrocious customer service from ciener), and it's been flawless in terms of function.

I think the kimber magazines work, too.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Start bullet casting. If you reload your own, and you get lead free or cheap, its cheaper to shoot then 22LR. Especially in the current gun climate of hoarding & gouging 22 ammo.

I prefer to practice with a 1911 using the 45 ACP ammo. 22 does not recoil or handle or even print the same as does 45ACP.

machman1967

Aug 30, 2009
    Frederick
    Of course in the new age of handgun licensing that is coming up soon, you might want a conversion kit if you don't believe in this licensing bs

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But the less noise and recoil is the very reason to have a .22lr option. Use to start new shooters , use where less of backstop , or where only moderate noise is acceptable.

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    I guess nearly $300 for a conversion kit plus trying to find enough .22 lr ammo is too much of a hassle for me when I can roll my own which is cheaper for me at the moment. When the ammo crisis is calmed I might get one. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom