• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    Neighbor is wanting to purchase a 1911 45 and want the best "Bang for his Buck" He likes the Remington and Ruger (Name Association) and asked me for my input.

Thanx,
    Jim

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    Neighbor is wanting to purchase a 1911 45 and want the best "Bang for his Buck" He likes the Remington and Ruger (Name Association) and asked me for my input.

Thanx,
    Jim

I have a Ruger SR1911 and couldn't be happier with it. I don't know what the Remington goes for, but I got the Ruger for about $650.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have been looking hard at 1911's as well. Lou had/has a SAM 1911 Military I was considering hard but I can't stop looking at the Ruger SR1911. Unless I can't swing the extra for the Ruger in a month or so I think one is in my future. The lower cost Remington's are not made in the USA but that's not saying something bad about them its just a data point.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I have been looking hard at 1911's as well. Lou had/has a SAM 1911 Military I was considering hard but I can't stop looking at the Ruger SR1911. Unless I can't swing the extra for the Ruger in a month or so I think one is in my future. The lower cost Remington's are not made in the USA but that's not saying something bad about them its just a data point.

Actually the Remingtons are made in the USA in Illion NY. Rugers frames are cast by Pinetree Castings, and final machined in Prescott Az.

Both are nice pistols, Ive shot both, but the nod has to go to Remington in the accuarcy department. Remington has more choice of styles of 1911's, where as the the Ruger has only one finish at the moment other then limited edition/dealer exclusive models.

As far as price, most of the Remingtons are more then the Ruger, other then the R1 standard, which is in the vien of a GI model 1911.

The Remingtons use a Series 80 set up - the Ruger uses a Series 70 set up. The plunger tubes are not staked in the Rugers - they are cast as part of the frame, which could be both good and bad.

Alot boils down to what your neighbor wants a 1911 for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom