• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Have you paid for your firearm registration? They won’t register your firearm until you have the permit.

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    I paid $110 which is the $75 application fee plus $35 for fingerprints. I submitted registration documentation for two handguns and was told they would process one for free with the permit application.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Exactly, but you must pick up the pistol registration AFTER you get your permit.

They don’t process pistol registration until you pick up your permit unless you are a DC resident

Last edited:

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    Oh, okay. Guess I'll be making another trip down there. Hopefully in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Good morning all. FWIW I submitted completed application (training documents pending) on 19 October. I visited the office on 18 January and was told it would be a few more weeks. I met the LT and handed over DC training Documents, (they declined DD214 and training docs for VA permit, said they weren't needed). He explained the application looked good to go and they would mail the permit when issued. I called (Jan 31st) , permit was approved and mailed I received permit in mail with approval letter Feb 2nd.

I figured if they were gonna mail approval letter, they might as well add the permit to the mailing, since application was complete

Last edited:

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    sorry it took so long to reply. Yes DC resident permit, I previously registered handguns in 2012, and recently renewed their registrations. I was told the handgun registrations are now lifetime and have no expiration date. when I submitted my ccp license application, they redeemed my existing firearms registration certificates and exchanged them for new ones with no expiration date.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That clarifies things, thanks. For those non residents that haven't registered their pistols, DC won't register a pistol UNTIL you have your CCW first. If you are a DC resident you should have registered your pistols no matter if get your CCW is issued or not. That's why mailing it to you doesn't work if you are a non resident.

You complete your pistol registration when your CCW is issued.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    I believe you are correct, (I believe registration must come first) They don't charge for 1 registration, if submitted as part of ccp license application. They will not issue ccp unless you have a firearm already registered. I don't think they will mail a registration certificate. The registration process has changed though, if you already own the firearm (non-resident or new resident), you don't have to take it to the registration office (just information for application). If you are DC resident with new purchase, It must transfer through Mr. Sykes (FFL) with 10 day wait. Otherwise, I don't know how long firearm registration takes.

Anyone applying for DC CCP License must have a firearm registered with MPD before the CCP License can be approved.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    For non residents, you cannot register a pistol until you have your CCW issued. There is no registration of a pistol for non residents without your CCW being issued CONCURRENTLY.

I don't think you can even get a CCW without at least one pistol registration, which as pointed out is free for the 1st one.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    When I applied for a carry permit the officer gave me a handgun registration application to fill out in order to expedite the process. At that time they sounded like they were ready to help get the job done. I'm now waiting over 4 months.

I phoned them to inquire my status and was transferred to the carry permit office where I was greeted my an answering machine.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    I agree, this (for non-residents) is not clear to me. It seems like registration does require some sort of background check, but takes much less time than CCP license background check. I believe I read in these forums of some non-resident posters, who completed registration, before CCP license approval, but I didn't notice anyone denied because of no registered firearm. I can't find any restriction to registration for non-residents.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You don’t pay for registration as a non resident until until you pick up your CCW. That’s why they are not mailed.

There is no reason for a non resident to register a pistol in DC without a carry permit because carry without a permit is prohibited. Registration is required for residents to have the firearm in their residence.

ETA-except as pointed out by Cypherpunk. Registration not prohibited for non residents

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    For non residents, you cannot register a pistol until you have your CCW issued. There is no registration of a pistol for non residents without your CCW being issued CONCURRENTLY.

I don't think you can even get a CCW without at least one pistol registration, which as pointed out is free for the 1st one.

This is false. I have registered a firearm before even turning in my DC CCL application.

Consider an NRA Basic Pistol instructor who desires to teach the classroom portion of NRA Basic Pistol at a private residence within DC.

In this one example, the instructor must possess a firearm in DC and is not protected by FOPA.

DC law requires that all firearms be registered, so DC must allow non residents to register a firearm without requiring a CCL.

This is just one example. Noting in DC law restricts firearm registration to residents. I believe the issue is laziness and incompetence.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I stand corrected sir.

With the caveat that my post applies in general, but not to the specific situation you describe

But you are correct.

no restriction on non residents

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    Received my conditional approval letter in the mail April 14th, letter was postmarked April 12th.

DC did not approve my DD214 as sufficient firearms training so I must take the full required training, range time and law class. DC is giving me 45 days from the date the letter was mailed to complete the training.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Here's hoping

Received my conditional approval letter in the mail April 14th, letter was postmarked April 12th.

DC did not approve my DD214 as sufficient firearms training so I must take the full required training, range time and law class. DC is giving me 45 days from the date the letter was mailed to complete the training.

There was a lot of discussion about the DD 214 being insufficient, unless it was w/in the past 2 years. Hope you were expecting that result, and were not too disappointed.

I applied 10 days after you, so perhaps another few weeks...?

I understand that some cases will require additional time, but they appear to be applying the additional 90 days to every application, as a rule.

Has anyone gotten theirs within 90 days?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Just got a call from a Doc who needs 16 hours of DC CCL training.

His LFI1, MSP QHIC and NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certifications apparently didn’t convince SPO King to waive 12 hours of training.

Now I have to spend two 8 hour days with him going over parts of a handgun.

This is the trigger guard...

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Just got a call from a Doc who needs 16 hours of DC CCL training.

His LFI1, MSP QHIC and NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certifications apparently didn’t convince SPO King to waive 12 hours of training.

Now I have to spend two 8 hour days with him going over parts of a handgun.

This is the trigger guard...
    And I have been waiting since October, , probably for the same outcome. You might need to save me a seat.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    Well, never thought that I'd see it in my lifetime but I received my training letter on May 23rd, walked it into MPD headquarters on May 24th and after a few minutes of tying up loose ends walked out with my DC carry permit and two firearm registration cards in hand! Wow

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom