• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I like my Ruger SR22 and my Buckmark, but I've also ready good things about the S&W M&P 22 Compact.

Lots of great options.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Kbuddy.brings up a point -

Is primary goal to be duplicating your centerfire pistol ? Or a freestanding .22lr pistol in its own right ?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sig 226 classic in .22, then you can upgrade with another centerfire slide while getting good practice with a service size handgun. You probably will be in cheaper than going the other way with a centerfire gun then a rimfire conversion.

I will kick this up a notch...
    Pick a Saturday morning (not 5/5) when you can come to The Associated Gun Clubs (AGC) in Marriottsville- ~10 miles north of Columbia. I will sign you in as my guest.
    A bunch of guys-n-gals in this thread are also members. We will bring an assortment of .22 pistols and revolvers and let you try them all out in one morning.

EDIT- Feel free to bring your sister to try them all out as well.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I'm a big fan of the Ruger MKII with the bull barrel. Currently Ruger is making the MKIV I think but they are quality pistols and reasonably priced. I've taught many family and friends to shoot pistol with my MKII over the years.

Dirto to that post. The MK II has a great trigger, good sights and is extremely accurate. Playing cards at 25 yds with consistent hits. I have one of those sig 1911 and can’t shoot it well. Don’t know if its the trigger, sights or me. This one was expensive, but i found a 19502 SW .22 rev with target sights and a 6” barrel. Great for practising double action shooting. You can probably pick up a little used MK II for near half the cost of the newer.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My groups with the browning buckmark are the tightest of all my handguns. I wish I could shoot my glock 17 as tight as the buckmark.
    Buckmark is a target pistol. And a good one right out of the box. I rarely have to clean it to keep it running.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My Colt (Umarex) 1911 .22lr is well capable of being an all around .22lr pistol .

For all the popularity of the Ruger Mk whichever pistols , I would vote for the BuckMark.

They are discontinued, but the S&W x22 and 220x pistols are still commonly seen , and they are excellent pistols , and my 2206 will outshoot stock Rugers by a comfortable margin .

I took the OP as specifically looking for a semiauto. As a Revolver Guy , I point out that the K Frame S&Ws in .22lr , and Ruger Single Sixes are excellent .

Pick a Saturday morning (not 5/5) when you can come to The Associated Gun Clubs (AGC) in Marriottsville- ~10 miles north of Columbia. I will sign you in as my guest.
    A bunch of guys-n-gals in this thread are also members. We will bring an assortment of .22 pistols and revolvers and let you try them all out in one morning.

That would be AWESOME!!! I will be in that area on 5/12 for a seminar-
    Thanks!
    Lori

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    If the purpose is to improve your marksmanship but not mimic your centerfire gun then the Ruger MK series or the S&W Victory are both great choices. I own a Ruger Std. Model and Mk IV and the Victory. All three will put 10 shots (9 for the Std. Model due to mag size) into a nickel sized group at 10 yards if I do my part using Federal Automatch, American Eagle high velocity or CCI Mini-Mag. The MK IV and Victory will do dime sized groups with Aguila Interceptor and Eley Club.

My MK IV has a Vortex Venom red dot sight. The Victory I replaced the front green fiber optic with an orange fiber optic (10 minute job, $5 for the Tru-Glo .060" fiber optic rod kit).

I find the Victory trigger a little better than the Ruger.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Rimfire pistols (and rifles) are like potato chips. You can't have just one.

So pick one, then later, pick another, and so forth. :D

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Bought a M&P full size .22 for my bride to shoot but she didn't like the way it fit her hand. We went over to GymRatz one day and John had a S&W compact chambered in .22 that fit her hand perfect. She loves shooting it and as a bonus I get to shoot the full size S&W so it saves a boatload on the cost of ammo. CCI mini mags seem to run well in everything. Pretty much the only .22 amp I buy anymore. Good luck on your search and yes, the more guns she gets to handle the better it is!

Just checking back in to this thread; I haven't forgotten this offer- just a lot going on right now; trying to find a Saturday that I've got some time free. Originally thought this Sat Am would work but I have a seminar (with my dog) in the morning in Millersville.. Still definitely interested :)
    Lori

filthyliberal

Apr 9, 2018
    I bought a mk4 hunter and am in love with the gun, though that ACG offer sounds like the right way to do it as you get time!

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    If the purpose is to improve your marksmanship but not mimic your centerfire gun then the Ruger MK series or the S&W Victory are both great choices. I own a Ruger Std. Model and Mk IV and the Victory. All three will put 10 shots (9 for the Std. Model due to mag size) into a nickel sized group at 10 yards if I do my part using Federal Automatch, American Eagle high velocity or CCI Mini-Mag. The MK IV and Victory will do dime sized groups with Aguila Interceptor and Eley Club.

My MK IV has a Vortex Venom red dot sight. The Victory I replaced the front green fiber optic with an orange fiber optic (10 minute job, $5 for the Tru-Glo .060" fiber optic rod kit).

I find the Victory trigger a little better than the Ruger.
    You nailed it. For target shooting, Victory or MKIV. For plinking w/ the same form factor as your 9mm plastic guns the SR22 is sweet. All can be had w/ threaded barrels and all are very simple to clean for those of us that can't put away a dirty gun even after only 1 round down the tube. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom