• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Right, if you wanted a "project" to build a bubba Spanish Mauser or something like that.
    This smells like they are the rejects of the rejects of the rejects. Kind of the opposite of the best of the best of the best.

When the Spanish mausers hit the gun shows, I turned down a $150 7x57 with a crest and a dinged but recoverable stock.
    Since then, I have looked at them at shows and not only is it hard to find one with a crest, but the stocks are often in need of lots of work.

Attachments

• bestofthebest.jpg
      bestofthebest.jpg
      10.9 KB · Views: 595

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Right, if you wanted a "project" to build a bubba Spanish Mauser or something like that.
    This smells like they are the rejects of the rejects of the rejects. Kind of the opposite of the best of the best of the best.

When the Spanish mausers hit the gun shows, I turned down a $150 7x57 with a crest and a dinged but recoverable stock.
    Since then, I have looked at them at shows and not only is it hard to find one with a crest, but the stocks are often in need of lots of work.
    This could be a nice action for a caliber conversion. I'm thinking 458 SOCOM.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    I’ve read that these are in really poor condition. I haven’t been paying attention but the consensus over on Gunboards when the topic of the 7.62 NATO conversions came a few months ago was that it’s fairly easy to find a decent M1916 in 7x57 In the $250ish range.

Mine is gorgeous. Took maybe an hour on stock but no cracks at all. Barrel was spotless. In maybe another $100 for small parts.

*edit for images and missing parts:

missing: Guard screws, ejector, small pins, hand guard.

Pre cleaning: stock was super rough. Took maybe an hour of scrubbing before the grime all was off. Parts were pretty clean. Trigger has some rust, it's soaking but think after carding it'll be just fine. No pitting anywhere.

pre1.JPG

pre2.JPG

pre3.JPG

Post cleaning: Soaked the parts for about 30 minutes in simply green and the stock was hit with TSP and some rejuvenating oil. Afterwards, Howard's Feed-N-Wax.

post (1).JPG

post (2).JPG

post (3).JPG

post (4).JPG

post (5).JPG

post (6).JPG

post (7).JPG

Oddly no crest at all?

Last edited:

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Only a good deal if you want a big project to work on. Those are the dregs of the Samco liquidation.

OWS was one of the buyers at the Samco bankruptcy sale. They had quite a bit of the surplus ammo Samco had left. J&G Sales apparently bought auction lots of Spanish 1916 rifles.

$225 will get you a better commercial Husqvarna 46 in 9.3 or 640 in 8mm from Simpsons. Already in a commercial stock. Best small ring receivers made and as commercial, not mil rifles.

Last edited:

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    My M-1 Carbine does not have the barrel part that holds a bayonet. Where can I get one and if so, how are they attached (screw on, weld)?

Jul 1, 2012
    My M-1 Carbine does not have the barrel part that holds a bayonet. Where can I get one and if so, how are they attached (screw on, weld)?

You may be lucky enough to have an original, unmolested M1 so don't sweat it.
    Installing the lug will booger up the gun IMHO.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    . Find out if your carbine was built with or without a barrel band having a bayonet lug.

Mine was built without and never re-arsenaled. Sadly it was missing the rear sight, though I slapped a later war correct sight in there (I prefer the ladder and elevation adjustment over the flip). Everything else on it, as near as I can tell, is 1942 original.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Thanks to both of you for the info. I purchased my M1 carbine some time ago and never really gave it a thought. I'll have to explore and let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom