• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    There is a lot of truth to this. In the end you kind of have to decide.

There is a strong argument to be made for getting an HQL. It prevents a de facto end of handgun sales, giving Omalley what he most likely wants.

There is a strong argument to be made against an HQL. It is an unconsitutional infringement on a right.

I am with you on this one...but I can't help but think about the flip side of the argument...

If Handgun sales stop completely...and crime stays the same and or rises it shows that it doesn't work. I am not saying that there isn't already enough evidence to support this. I'm just throwing it out there...

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    As proof of a 30 day defacto ban on the purchase of a handgun?

If its a ban and its a fundamental right any ban is a ban the timeline does not matter , If is not a ban then the timeline does not matter.

Now what if the court says 30 days and not one day more? --- think 300k applications in one month might make an impact and a point... :)

And then the training... No this is a side show ... I waited because of practical concerns.

Now what it the state delivers the first HQL in 24 days. On what basis will they ban the next person for the full 30 days?

This game is just starting.. .. :)

The arguement will be that they had other guns to defend themselves with. It's my personal opinion that those exempted from the training should have held back. The people who had to undergo training which wasn't clarified not available are the ones who are truly facing a ban right now.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    OK, you mean the same MSP that say "go get the gun without an HQL"? "We don't care about the law, go ahead and violate it all you want" That MSP that is strong arming the FFL's?

As to why, ?????, the answer changed...

Maryland Law
    MSP strong arm
    Federal Law
    Insurance policy

Pick one ?

I'm not following you. But my point about the "strong arm" tactics is correct.

The Advisory LD-FRS-13-001 is an overreach.

If they had just stopped with

"A dealer or person may wait until notified that Maryland State Police has completed its investigation and has no obligation or responsibility to sell, lease or transfer prior to being notified that the investigation is completed."​

That would have been fine. But they didn't. They said,

"The Maryland State Police ...continues to encourage all sellers, lessors and transferors to wait until the Maryland State Police completes its investigation, conducts all checks, and approves the sale, lease or transfer of the regulated firearm before releasing or transferring the firearm."​

That's overreach by the power of their position. (Look up overreach if you don't get my point.)

(Let me help. Overreach--conduct that exceeds established limits (as of authority or due process))

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Exactly. This is why we lose and will continue to lose our rights. Thank you sir, may I have another? I wouldn't be surprised if they are putting everything else on hold just to speed the first ones through the system just to torpedo the lawsuit. "We" screw ourselves every chance we get. A little patience wouldn't have hurt those who had to rush out and apply. It greatly hurts the overall cause however. If you wanted to send a message you should have been among the 120k who purchased prior to 10/1.

You are now a shining example to the courts that 281 does not infringe upon anyone's rights. Thank you very much.

You speak generally about torpedoing the lawsuit by getting HQLs. It's clear you know nothing about the law. It's also clear that you have forgotten 281 is about a lot more than just the HQL.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I know, I was agreeing with your statement. The rest was directed at the OP and others who couldn't wait to run out and get their firearms registration card.

i am surprised by all the negative comments this thread has generated. didn't expect it when i started it. but in response to the repeated sentiments that someone who obtained an HQL is some kind of sellout i would say this. if you believe in handgun ownership and the right to purchase handguns you can get an HQL and purchase handguns. if you believe in handgun ownership and teh right to purchase handguns you can refuse to get an HQL and not purchase handguns. it's that simple. but, whatever you do, stop whining and crying about someone taking your RIGHTS from you. you don't get the HQL, nobody took your right to purchase handguns away, you laid down, quit and gave them your rights. and as such YOU never deserved them in the first place. you are the definition of O'Malley's perfect little gunowner who would claim a pyrrhic victory by refusing the license. you aren't offending him. you are playing into his hands. he's the puppeteer and here's the bad news, you're the puppet.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    OMalley isn't stopping anyone...everyone is stopping themselves and future generations by falling in line with this crap. As soon as the first one signed up for and received your HQL, you just made it easier for the court to support OMalley and not those of us who support 2a rights and the constitution. You're really no better than the guys who buy every bit of ammo they can find and then horde it. How are you really helping? It's not the 2a/constitution supporters/gun owners you are helping. I'm tired of hearing the crap out of both sides of peoples mouths aka "I'm pro gun/constitution etc " but then turn around and don't vote, or are first in line to make MOM happy.

first in line to make him happy? are you kidding? have you thought about this at all? do you believe that he wanted a single person to get an HQL? if no one ever got in line that's what would have made him happy. people like you who sit around griping and who choose not to get the license, which is absolutely your right, are just the thing that makes him happy. that is, was and always has been the whole point of this law. do you really not understand that?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    i am surprised by all the negative comments this thread has generated. didn't expect it when i started it. but in response to the repeated sentiments that someone who obtained an HQL is some kind of sellout i would say this. if you believe in handgun ownership and the right to purchase handguns you can get an HQL and purchase handguns. if you believe in handgun ownership and teh right to purchase handguns you can refuse to get an HQL and not purchase handguns. it's that simple. but, whatever you do, stop whining and crying about someone taking your RIGHTS from you. you don't get the HQL, nobody took your right to purchase handguns away, you laid down, quit and gave them your rights. and as such YOU never deserved them in the first place. you are the definition of O'Malley's perfect little gunowner who would claim a pyrrhic victory by refusing the license. you aren't offending him. you are playing into his hands. he's the puppeteer and here's the bad news, you're the puppet.

So you're saying that you'll buy your license to practice a certain religion or speak freely when they make you buy a license to use your 1A rights? Or maybe have to pay for a license to keep from having an illegal search and seizure under the 4th amendment?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

You have your opinion, I have mine. My point is two-fold. The timing of getting the HQL and your obvious excitement about doing so. As I have clearly stated, it is my opinion (Not a legal opinion for crissakes, there are enough psuedo lawyers on here) that people who are training exempt should have waited. That's it, my opinion. We are in the very beginning stages of a lawsuit.

I also stated that I understand the reason some feel they wanted to go ahead and get it, I just don't agree with it.

That is far different from the stance you just took. You are implying that your way is the only way with your childish rant.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    You speak generally about torpedoing the lawsuit by getting HQLs. It's clear you know nothing about the law. It's also clear that you have forgotten 281 is about a lot more than just the HQL.

It's quite clear you know nothing about me. Is this thread not about the HQL? WTF would I discuss other aspects of 281 on this thread?

Kryptonite_22

Jul 20, 2012
    I too just checked my status and it too is ACTIVE as of 10/10/2013. The unique thing about my case is I did the finger printing as well as completed the application on 10/09/2013. That's pretty damn fast if you ask me. I spoke with a sworn trooper this afternoon in reference to my case and asked him when they were going to start mailing them out. I was told that it SHOULD be within 14 business days after you receive your active status. Hope this helps!

I have mine under training exempt FYI if this helps...

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    So you're saying that you'll buy your license to practice a certain religion or speak freely when they make you buy a license to use your 1A rights? Or maybe have to pay for a license to keep from having an illegal search and seizure under the 4th amendment?

you ever wanted to exercise your 1st amendment rights by putting on a demonstration? do you know that you need a permit to do that in many places?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It's also quite obvious that we are a house divided on many aspects of what is happening. HQL yes vs. no, referendum vs. lawsuit, stay and fight vs. move out of state, hunters who only care about their shotguns and muzzle loaders.

The antis unfortunately have a united front and I do not know what the answer for our side is.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    It's also quite obvious that we are a house divided on many aspects of what is happening. HQL yes vs. no, referendum vs. lawsuit, stay and fight vs. move out of state, hunters who only care about their shotguns and muzzle loaders.

The antis unfortunately have a united front and I do not know what the answer for our side is.

well on this we can happily agree!!

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I too just checked my status and it too is ACTIVE as of 10/10/2013. The unique thing about my case is I did the finger printing as well as completed the application on 10/09/2013. That's pretty damn fast if you ask me. I spoke with a sworn trooper this afternoon in reference to my case and asked him when they were going to start mailing them out. I was told that it SHOULD be within 14 business days after you receive your active status. Hope this helps!

I have mine under training exempt FYI if this helps...

Can just one person explain why this makes them so happy?

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co

Good point. I was at a MD State Quality Awards event a few years ago, and they said the 3 most important things are alignment, alignment, alignment. You determine your desired outcome and align everything you do toward it. In this case, we don't know if certain things will make a difference or not. So some folks want to master the possibilities by having everyone do certain things, although it is not possible to know if it will make a difference. One example might be the DINO movement which will have an impact in some areas but not others.

Applying the above to an ongoing business, you do things, take metrics, and make changes.

In this case, there are a lot of one-of's where that can't be done. Now if someone had metrics of a positive outcome of people not getting FOID permits in IL and could apply that here, that could give better direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom