• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Nice. Still kick myself every day for turning down a beautiful stainless 6" Python for a Glock 17 when I bought my first handgun. The python was only $50 more.

I'd like to say something to make you feel better, but re-reading your post, I can't possibly think of anything that would.

The two most important days of our lives are the day we were born and the day they die. In your case there are three, the other one being the day you did that.

Did that make you feel better?

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    For every Hickock45 on YouTube there are dozens of bozos who haven't a clue what they're doing.

Yeah, and they all sound like this guy. I'm no fan of the old Pythons. Parts of the gun were deep blue and other parts were purple. And the hands/pawls were too small, causing them to go out of time after 2,500 rounds or so. Some tried to hard chrome the hands to prevent it, but I don't know if it worked.

If I had a Python, I'd sell it and buy two S&W 686s. They're better guns in my opinion.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I can second that ^^^. I have a Python...circa 1980's. I keep it more for the collectibility and "having one". And can't deny the allure of
    the revolver. I shoot it every now and then, typically when my son and I shoot together. If I had a want or need for a real hard use revolver of that configuration I would pop for a 686..actually seek out a gently used 6 inch 586 with the PPC or silhouette sights. Or a 6" GP-100 would do.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Parts of the gun were deep blue and other parts were purple. And the hands/pawls were too small, causing them to go out of time after 2,500 rounds or so.

During a specific time period there was a problem with bluing salts that affected manufacturers...Browning also had a bad problem with it. I don't remember the specific problem but it caused certain parts to turn a plum color. It happened with the cylinder release on Pythons and complete receivers on Browning rifles and shotguns made in Belgium. Other companies had similar issues but Colt and Browning seem to have had the worst problems.

As far as timing issues...it usually took a lot of rounds before it became apparent...it was the downside to Colts with the V-spring action requiring much handwork. The upside was the action made for absolute proper lockup at the moment of ignition but at the price of accumulated wear would cause timing issues. I discovered that during a match at the Secret Service Matches they used to hold at their facility near Beltsville. In the middle of the match my Python suddenly went out of time...and that revolver had sent a lot of rounds downrange over the years. I was fortunate...Colt's top tech was present at the match and he fixed it for me gratis.

The new Colt revolvers use a modified V-spring action that doesn't need the extreme hand-fitting of the old action and won't have timing issues after high round counts.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My older (or as others call them...."Legacy" Pythons)...are all outstanding revolvers. My new Python is awesome as well. All are super accurate...all have great actions. The new Python uses all the modern CAD/CAM technology and advances in metallurgy to make the hand fitting of the earlier examples unnecessary to achieve the same result. While the long term durability has yet to be proven there's no reason to believe it won't be more durable than the original. Yes...Colt has had some unforced errors in its introduction...they admit that. Corrections were made and guns with known, genuine issues have been repaired or in process for repairs.

Is the new Python better than the old one? Are new Corvettes better than the originals? Maybe not an exact comparison but it all depends on which you prefer. I'm keeping my older Pythons...I have a new 6" Python and will buy a 4 1/4" Python at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom