• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Refer to the pictures of the recent Show Special rifles from VTac .

So I want sling studs , the normal kind , that you attach normal slings using the normal QD attatchments . But it seems impossible ? Or at least not without adapters to used further adapters, to use further adapters .

I can't be the only person trying to do this . If only for people wanting to use bipods, this would be the same studs .

So do I need to get studs from Uncle Mike , and drill hole in forend to bolt it ? Or am I missing somthing easy ?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What kind of forend do you have? There are MLOK and KeyMod sling swivel mounts. I've also had good luck with random sling swivels that are threaded and used a Magpul backing plate to attack a lower profile sling stud in between cuts on the handguard. If the rail has sections you can try using the backing plate of that with a sling stud. I have a bunch of random sling studs, different lengths and thread pitches but I was always able to figure something out without having to drill and tap a hole.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    One each .

At the AR goodie store they had do hickies of MLock proprietary , that had their own style of QD , but I'm looking for a standard stud .

What's a "backing plate " ? I've got forend(s) with a rail on top , and the funny looking holes/ slots over the rest . ( All my previous AR have had normal forends, this is my encounter with the new wave crap .)

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Is this the do hickie you are referring to?

Attachments

• 80EADCF5-A4D7-46DF-AA97-E690A17DF373.jpg
      80EADCF5-A4D7-46DF-AA97-E690A17DF373.jpg
      55.2 KB · Views: 312

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    So what brand of hand guard is it? If it's already tapped you could look for a swivel stud that has the same thread pitch and go that route.

https://www.ndzperformance.com/Magpul-AR-MOE-Polymer-Rail-Section-5-Slot-Black-p/mag406-blk.htm

This is a Magpul rail kit. It comes with the rail section, 2 screws, and 2 backing plates the screws attach to. If you can find a swivel stud that threads into the plate part you can attach it through one of the slots in your handguard. I've done it on a couple of my free float guards.

Are you trying to run a Harris style bipod? Check these out.

https://www.mountsplus.com/harris-b...MI7ofMlNX74wIViI3ICh0u6AQbEAQYBSABEgJt7_D_BwE
    https://www.amazon.com/CRUSHUNT-M-Lok-Adapter-Harris-Aluminum/dp/B0739L43VQ

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I love the look of quad rails.....just not those big Yankee Hill jam nut things......doesn't always have to be slim rails fellas....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    One MLock , one Key . Not quads, only rail on top ( both) .
    The MSP things looks geat , but description says hollow Plastic forends .

Still ? I have these because they came with the gun . Just like the 1911 with Rail , I figured as long as I wasn't going to use it, I could ignore it . ( Didn't work that way )

Should I instead start thread about changing to GI format , the way God and Eugenie Stoner intended ? .

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    One MLock , one Key . Not quads, only rail on top ( both) .
    The MSP things looks geat , but description says hollow Plastic forends .

Still ? I have these because they came with the gun . Just like the 1911 with Rail , I figured as long as I wasn't going to use it, I could ignore it . ( Didn't work that way )

Should I instead start thread about changing to GI format , the way God and Eugenie Stoner intended ? .

It's designed to give you something to screw in to. The point is that if you have a hole and a surface to mount the swivel against you can make it work without having to permanently alter the hand guard. I put one on my M1A through the weep hole to be able to mount a bipod in a similar fashion.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I love the look of quad rails.....just not those big Yankee Hill jam nut things......doesn't always have to be slim rails fellas....

I don't like the super slim guards either. I had an MI super slim and it was too small, it was uncomfortable to hold. Kind of like the quads, they are too big for me to hold comfortably and add unnecessary weight IMO.

The Samson evos are nice, Troy VTACs, and the LWRC standard hand guard are all the right size for me and I can run what I want and where without adding weight. Just sayin

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So Pale Rider sugguests to drill to attatch a picatiny section , to then use a one slot attatchment for hooking the sling ? ( Presumably useing the one that has the stud . I actually saw one such at the goody store . )

Re Bounty's suggestions , I just checked the rifles . One dosen't have any actual *holes* , just long slots on the bottom . The other one has the funny looking keyhole things all over . But the round portion is aprox 3/8 diameter , and the machine screw flavor studs are 10-32 , obviously way smaller than the hole . I suppose I could use stacks of washers , but I would think it would still flop around in there .

Did somthing go over my head ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    @ Post #17 , other than being on the wrong side of the gun , something like that that had a standard stud , instead of its own unique QD .

Replace them with MOE s instead ?
    I don't want bottom rails . They're already a nice round shape , very suitable for gripping with actual hand . I just want a sling stud .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom