• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but here we go.

If I wanted to become a Home FFL dealer, what would I have to do? (No store front)

I know I would need an FFL application kit from BATFE. What would I put for hours?

I know I would need a seperate safe for "customer" firearms.

Is some form of training required?

Is there anything else for the state of Maryland I would need to do?

Thanks,

Dave

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Don't give up so easy...

It's not an impossibility, but you have to know what you are doing. The biggest problem is zoning. You have to have a business license, a secure facility, and the application for the ATF license.

You may or may not be legally allowed to run your business out of your home. Some FFL's do, and have the zoning that allows for this, others cannot get past the zoning issues. You have to comply with all state and city laws regarding your business. In some cases that necessitates renting a broom closet downtown, alarming it and securing it so that it meets city and state requirements.

Mark

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    As Mark said, you must comply with the local laws, including zoning. Check with the county before spending any time doing anything else. ASK them if you can operate a home business. Don't say anything about a gun shop.

You may want to read this thread as well: http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=29785 Remember, in MD, to sell handgun s and other "regulated firearms", you need a permit or license issued from MSP. You might be able to get a FFL from ATF but not the license from MSP. In that case, no handguns or most evil black rifles.

BTW, there was a FFL in Florida who posted about how where he lived he couldn't get approved for a home FFL, but two blocks away it was a different county and people there could get approved.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    There is a home FFL in Bowie. The guys name is Lou Klein. I've never done business through him, I just know he operates a gun shop from his house and has had a valid ffl for years. I'd say try him for some answers.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    The home FFL's I know have all had a store which they closed but maintained their FFL
    maybe it's easier to keep one than get one?
    Good luck with your quest!

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    The biggest problem is zoning. +1

It will depend if your house is in a sub-division and if the county clerk will issue you a business license.

Good luck

Jerry

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I looked into it and as i live in rural Frederick County it would not be an issue. Then the wife freaked out when she heard I would be using the house as a gun store. So, for now the project is in fact on hold.

Dave

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I looked into it and as i live in rural Frederick County it would not be an issue. Then the wife freaked out when she heard I would be using the house as a gun store. So, for now the project is in fact on hold.

Dave

So the ATF and zoning board would have been easy compared to the wife.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Wolf, what does your home FFL grant you? Can you deal in evil rifles and pistols?

Are there any restrictions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    My dad had his house a home FFL before Clinton was in office. Because our place wasn't commerical in baltimore county, we couldn't be zoned for that any longer. In baltimore county from what I know, you need a store front. I don't know how similar yours is though

wazooz2424

Feb 5, 2012
    It all comes down to zoning. If you can get zoned for retail sales, there's no problem. If you can't get retail sales, you need to figure out another business model, such as Internet sales only. Transfers are considered sales. I started as a home FFL and then when I realized I would never succeed being Internet only, I found a friend with a small business and he let me rent some space from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom