• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have been talked into shooting an IDPA match by a buddy. I have read the rules, but the whole gear thing is a little new to me.

I am planning on bringing a 5.11 tactical vest (cover garment), BladeTech OWB holster, BladeTech double mag pouch, and a Glock 17 with three full-cap mags. The Glock 17 is stock except for a LW extended mag release. My Google-fu indicates that this would put me in SSP or (maybe) ESP under current rules. I'll be using my dress belt, which isn't ideal, but such is life.

Does that sound about right? Am I missing anything? (Besides cartridges... I'll have those.)

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I highly recommend a better belt. You can get a stiff riggers belt from Amazon before this weekend, and for less than $25.

Bring water. If your club makes you tear down the stages after the match, then bring work gloves for the targets and walls which will be full of splinters. Bring sunscreen and a hat.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you wanted to use glock's extended mag release (ie that comes on g34/35) that would be ok, but using another manufacturer's extended mag release is a no-go in ssp. but with that you're GTG in ESP. rest of gear sounds good. good luck and have fun.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I agree with getting a better belt. However as it’s your first match, wait and see if you think you’ll stick with it. If it’s in your budget I recommend a belt from Crossbred holsters.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I did my first match not too long ago. Bring lots of water and mags. Its better to spend your time watching others than loading mags. The match director should let you go last every stage so you can mentally prepare by watching others. Can't do it if you are loading your magazines after each stage. Of course, if the mag load isn't a standard 10 rounds then you will have to unload some rounds. I think that would be quicker than loading though.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You'll be hitchin' yer britches every five minutes with a dress belt. I know carry isn't common in MD, but there's got to be a local gun shop with some belts. I think Atlantic in Rockville may stock some. Anyway, IDPA rules state 10 rounds in a magazine. Since it's IDPA, you won't need more than 3 magazines anyway. Other than that, you should be set. Just have fun, and shoot at your own pace.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Everyone needs at least a medium decent belt , just for.regular life .

At minimum , a solid , one piece real leather, of decent thickness, at least 1.5in width , is medium decent , when reasonably new .

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Buy yourself a mag loader if you plan to go often. I like maglula. works from 9 to 45cal. Also take a stool for time between stages. I actually use a walker with my range bag attached and an umbrella

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 174

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Haha, IDPA is in my bucket list and I’ve been so busy lately I was just thinking I may need a walker for my first shoot/match/( insert correct term here) before I eventually make it to one. And voila ... thanks, I need to go watch at least.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Haha, IDPA is in my bucket list and I’ve been so busy lately I was just thinking I may need a walker for my first shoot/match/( insert correct term here) before I eventually make it to one. And voila ... thanks, I need to go watch at least.

When I shoot IDPA at AAFG (Anne Arundel Fish and Game), I drive right through Davidsonville. They have a Intro to IDPA course. It’s required and well worth the time. There is one coming up next month.

https://practiscore.com/clubs/aafg-idpa

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Everyone needs at least a medium decent belt , just for.regular life .

At minimum , a solid , one piece real leather, of decent thickness, at least 1.5in width , is medium decent , when reasonably new .
    Yep.. when I started.. went to Walmart and found a nice sturdy leather belt.. works fine for the match and yard work..

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    every person i've met that just came to watch a match was sorry they didn't bring their guns & gear and actually shoot the match...
    This was word-for-word what my buddy told me after he watched a match, too.

Anyways, I've ordered a somewhat more sturdy belt off Amazon, as per recommendations. Sounds like the rest of my gear will do the job. I'll remember to bring my UpLULA and some water.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    after you shoot a stage, follow the SO around and see where your shots are hitting. if they're super-accurate, you can speed up a little, if you have misses or loose shots, probably should slow down a little.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    after you shoot a stage, follow the SO around and see where your shots are hitting. if they're super-accurate, you can speed up a little, if you have misses or loose shots, probably should slow down a little.
    Agree.. you can be fast .. but if your shots are crappy.. penalties do add up.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    When I shoot IDPA at AAFG (Anne Arundel Fish and Game), I drive right through Davidsonville. They have a Intro to IDPA course. It’s required and well worth the time. There is one coming up next month.

https://practiscore.com/clubs/aafg-idpa

Thanks, I will put that on my schedule, June 23rd. If thats an offer to be around someone to keep me from looking like an idiot thanks!
    Funny thing, last night I found out a member of my shooting team (pool) is friends with the admissions person there (AAFG)(offered me brass), I'm not looking for special treatment, just saying its a small world. As for a belt I've been wearing the Magpul leather/polymer "Tejas" and love it. Kind of exciting, strapping on the G43 now :)

I hope I'm not derailing your thread OP, but thanks for starting the yearly what the hell is good for IDPA thread.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Thanks, I will put that on my schedule, June 23rd. If thats an offer to be around someone to keep me from looking like an idiot thanks!
    Funny thing, last night I found out a member of my shooting team (pool) is friends with the admissions person there (AAFG)(offered me brass), I'm not looking for special treatment, just saying its a small world. As for a belt I've been wearing the Magpul leather/polymer "Tejas" and love it. Kind of exciting, strapping on the G43 now :)

I hope I'm not derailing your thread OP, but thanks for starting the yearly what the hell is good for IDPA thread.

Yeah, we took advantage of the OP. Sorry about that. PM me with any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom