• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I am looking a buying a new handgun I am down to the CZ 75 series and the sig 226 line up. The CZ 75 series really fits my hand nicely even better than the 226 and they leave some extra cash in my pocket for extra ammo. I am pretty confident the CZ is what I am going to buy.
    My question is which model will be best to buy that will keep me in a beginner class and will be legal for both associations. I am looking at the 75-01, the 01 tactical, and the single action. Is there any benefits to going with a model with a decocker versus a safety? Will going SA for the better trigger be a detriment in some classes versus the SA/DA? Are there any other things I should be considering when looking at these models?

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    To shoot both games I would recommend the SP01 DA/SA Safety model as an affordable option or a Shadow 1 as a step up. Expect to spend close to $300 in upgrades either way.
    You would shoot in IDPA ESP, and USPSA Production.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What he said. SP01 Da/sa. You'll want to do the Cajun gun works competition package. Now you can also do the short reset trigger in uspsa. Not sure if the trigger is idpa legal.

I did this exact route last winter and can walk you through it if needed.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Single action puts you in uspsa limited. You'll be at a disadvantage shooting 9mm. If you want SA go with the tactical sport in .40cal.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Choice of platform should also be influenced by what division you want to participate in. If you want to start in in single action, use a magwell, or want to load more than 10 rounds in a magazine, you'll want to shoot Limited. If you're going to shoot Limited, then the 75 series and the 226 would not be the best choice.

Also, just as an FYI, most people who try both IDPA and USPSA wind up only shooting USPSA.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    The SP-01 isn’t too heavy or big as per the rules? I always thought I couldn’t use mine, but I am not very knowledgeable regarding the rules.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Also, just as an FYI, most people who try both IDPA and USPSA wind up only shooting USPSA.

i prefer uspsa generally because of the higher round count (max 32 stage vs 18 in idpa) and more movement. but if there isn't a uspsa match going (or 2 or 3 gun), i'll def hit an idpa match. the other good thing about idpa is you can shoot your actual carry or hd rig and not be too too un-competitive.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Thank you all for the input. It sounds like the SP-01 is the way to go SA/DA for a beginner gun.
    Is there any reason a safety is better than a decocker?

I will be shooting IDPA more due to scheduling. The club near me has an IDPA match in Tuesday mornings which works well with my shift work schedule. Weekends are hard for me to get away and go shooting so it will be mostly IDPA for me.

For the time being I will keep running my M&P 9. But soon I will pick up a gun for shooting sports.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Thank you all for the input. It sounds like the SP-01 is the way to go SA/DA for a beginner gun.

I will be shooting IDPA more due to scheduling. The club near me has an IDPA match in Tuesday mornings which works well with my shift work schedule. Weekends are hard for me to get away and go shooting so it will be mostly IDPA for me.

For the time being I will keep running my M&P 9. But soon I will pick up a gun for shooting sports.

safety version is much easier for you to work on yourself if you are so inclined. you can also convert to SAO if you wish.

The decocker is also good. That's what I shoot when i shoot production. The DA pull from decock is shorter than the safety version which is nice but it's a more complicated sear cage situation plus you are stuck with DA/SA. But if you are a tinkerer you will be fine. Or send it off for the work.

All that is to say if you want to make the most of your CZ in competition you WILL need to get work done on it. It's weeeeelll worth it I assure you.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to point out that a standard SP-01 with safety requires you to manually lower the hammer all the way down if you're shooting Stock Service Pistol in IDPA and Production in USPSA. Your first shot will be pulling the hammer fully back with the trigger. Getting the decocker version lets you use the decocker to lower the hammer to half cock, which shortens the first trigger pull. If I was to start over and go Production, I'd use a 75 Tactical or SP-01 Phantom and go to town.

Personally, my fingers are too short to pull the trigger on a completely hammer down CZ without adjusting my grip, then adjusting for the rest of the shot. If I ever get to a match in Maryland that you're shooting, I'll loan you my Phantom for the match. Same if you go to Peacemaker.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD

I am no expert in competitions, but I shot my SP-01 (Tactical = decocker)in “action pistol” competitions in Wisconsin about 8 years ago. They timed us, but I wasn’t interested in competing. I just focused on getting better each time. It was very laid back. Some guys were more competitive, but were great in offering advice. I’m an excellent shot standing stationary at the range, but this was a different animal. They really helped me to learn to shoot on the move and when out of breath.

The SP-01 is a beast. It’s as accurate as any top end 1911 in my experience. Reliable as hell too. Just buy a couple of extra slide stops and keep them in your range bag. I had no problems with them, but I’ve read of others having their slide stops break after many competitions.

It might be the one pistol that I would keep if I could only have one.

One word of warning: CZs multiply like rabbits. After buying my SP-01, my next 4 pistols were CZs!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm going to point out that a standard SP-01 with safety requires you to manually lower the hammer all the way down if you're shooting Stock Service Pistol in IDPA and Production in USPSA. Your first shot will be pulling the hammer fully back with the trigger. Getting the decocker version lets you use the decocker to lower the hammer to half cock, which shortens the first trigger pull. If I was to start over and go Production, I'd use a 75 Tactical or SP-01 Phantom and go to town.

Personally, my fingers are too short to pull the trigger on a completely hammer down CZ without adjusting my grip, then adjusting for the rest of the shot. If I ever get to a match in Maryland that you're shooting, I'll loan you my Phantom for the match. Same if you go to Peacemaker.

This is less of an issue in uspsa now that the rules allow a short reset trigger. Its no problem to get the DA pull down to ~5 pounds and the SA pull near 2 pounds with the right springs. Mine is a little heavier until I get used to the light SA pull.

OP, I'm happy to show you mine if you can make it to Sanners. I might be at the June match or definitely the July one. Gymratz can get you any variant you choose, his cz prices are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom