• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    My roommate told me she noticed a small leak in the roof. I checked in the attic and didn't see any water damage, but I wanted to see if I could hire someone with experience with slate roofs to come out and check it, and see if possibly there is a cracked slate leaking that could be fixed.

I live in Towson.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Tom at TSW Roofing is a good, honest roofer. I've never used him for slate, but it's listed on his website:
    http://tswroofingsolutionsinc.com

I've heard of Pete McCreesh, but not dealt with him personally:
    http://www.mccreeshslateroofing.com

This guy wrote the book on slate roofing (literally, The Slate Roof Bible). He's kinda the Lord Chad of the slate world.
    http://josephjenkins.com
    Now, you probably aren't going to get Joe Jenkins to come out and look at your roof, but there is a wealth of free information on his website. You could give yourself a crash course on slate to at least be able to gauge whether or not whoever looks at your roof knows what they are doing. If they walk directly on the slates, throw them off the job (or the roof...or both).

Good luck. Properly installed slate is about the best roof material out there.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Growing up Ive helped to install countess slate and copper roofs. There is no reason to be a roofer! Hot, heavy, dangerous, weather dependent and rough on the joints.

I appreciate what they do to make a buck. A good roofer is worth every penny they charge.

Hope you find one!

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Check where the leak is in the house then compare to where the roof bathroom vent stacks are. I had a leak a few years ago and it lined up with our upstairs bathroom vent stack. Had a roofer come and he slipped a rubber boot over it. The rubber had cracked over the years and that’s where the leak was. Back on topic. My dad’s house in Pennsylvania had a slate roof. A bitch to deal with...leave it to a pro.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    A good friend just had some slate roof damage (tree/wind) repaired, and hired "Roof Masters," who he said did an excellent job, at a fair price. This was in the MoCo area, don't know if they'll stretch up to Towson or not.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The leak is on the opposite side of the vent pipe.

I'll check out the TSW company. I'm hoping maybe it's just a cracked tile that can be replaced.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    The leak is on the opposite side of the vent pipe.

I'll check out the TSW company. I'm hoping maybe it's just a cracked tile that can be replaced.

I used TSW for a $13k standing seam metal roof. They botched the valley detail and I had major leaking. After tearing off the roof to fix it, I was left with a ton of scratched up and bent up panels on a brand new roof. It took ~6 months and 5 trips out for them to finally give me a roof that didn't dump water into my home.

Then after all that I still had a small leak because one of the guys drove a screw in the wrong place on the ridge detail, so I had to live with needing to put roofing caulk on it every year to keep it from leaking.

Tom and his his crew chief Jay were polite, but Tom was unwilling to shell out the cash needed to properly replace all the brand new panels they screwed up. It also took forever to get things fixed.

I personally wouldn't trust them with anything but a traditional shingle roof.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I have a slate roof on my 1936 house...as
    we are bay waterfront, we get beat up pretty
    well weatherwise. We use Wagner Roofers...
    they ARE the slate people so far as I am
    concerned.

Lottsa roofers “can do” slate...but, Wagner
    DOES slate, including major contracts like
    Fed buildings downtown and at the Naval
    Academy...I have used them three times to do various separate jobs...absolutely delighted
    every time...

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    My neighbor just had Brothers Roofing do a skate job on his house. They did really nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom