• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Just got a Lee turrent press does any one find the primering system hard to use/pia. Is there better way.I had a Dillon 550 30yrs ago but lent it to a"friend"
    Wish I had it back.

I have used it on my turret. it's cumbersome. I have also used both the old and new versions of the lee hand priming tool. The old one was more reliable but they don't make it or parts for it any more. I recently bought the RCBS bench primer and it works great. The only drawback to it is the tubes only hold about 100 primers and it takes a couple minutes to refill the tube. If you only reload a few hundred it's not bad, but if you reload in bulk like I do you find yourself filling them often I bought a few extra. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/4...afbd76e5906de198695&utm_term=4585238366685510

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I also prime off press with the RCBS bench priming tool. You really need to step it up to a 650 or a LnL (or get lucky with a LM) if you want to do ultra-high-volume.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've used the Lee turret press for too long and the primer system is wonky at best. I've gotten to the point where I bought a Dillon 550 for my semiautomatic pistol reloading. I get a LOT of high primers using the Lee press, especially after pressing a lot of rounds out. I've had to do a lot of tweaking of dies because some of the rounds locked up my pistol. If you're doing low volume amounts, the Lee is okay. But any more than a few hundred a month and you'll wish you bought the Dillon instead.

T48

Mar 5, 2018
    Anne Arundel Co.
    I purchased a Lee Loadmasters press several years ago. The primer system never worked properly. I called the factory several times and could never get the press to work properly. It had a lot of plastic parts where they should have been manufactured out of metal. The shell plates had a lot of play when installed. I came across a Dillion 550 and the Lee Loadmasters has never been used since. There is no press like the Dillion progressive presses and that 550 b is the best press I own. Anything that breaks or something goes wrong Dillion will replace the problem for free. They really have a no BS guarantee nd they back up everything they sell.

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    Just got a Lee turrent press does any one find the primering system hard to use/pia. Is there better way.I had a Dillon 550 30yrs ago but lent it to a"friend"
    Wish I had it back.

You have to adjust the Safety Prime system a bit in order to get it to work well. Once you get the hang of it you shouldn't have major issues. I typically only have 1 dropped primer out of 100 now.

One thing I recommend is to put a small washer between the top of the turret and the plastic mount for the Safety Prime. This will raise it slightly and allow for smoother interaction with the priming arm.

This video has some good tips/tricks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwqOpknjsZI

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Thanks for the tips. So using a benchprimer you would deprime/ resize ,prime continue. Or deprime/ resize all m.t brass them tumble clean casing, then prime and continue

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Thanks for the tips. So using a benchprimer you would deprime/ resize ,prime continue. Or deprime/ resize all m.t brass them tumble clean casing, then prime and continue

This is the way I do it. Resize/deprime then tumble to remove lube. Prime off press and reload when I get the urge.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I used to have a Lee Turret and the Safety primer, I think. I was never able to load the last 2 or 3 primers in the system. If I am not using a Dillon, I will resize and prime using the RCBS hand tool and then tumble so I don't have media stuck in the primer hole.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I use the Lee Turret Press and safety primer and it works well for me. I usually load 50 rounds at a time and have maybe one hiccup per batch. No big deal for me. I also use the Auto Drum powder measure and that thing is amazingly accurate. I'm very happy with this set-up.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    I use the Lee safety primer and it works fine. Takes a little practice and patience

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have use lee safety prime for all my handgun rounds, with no hiccups at all. Yes, I can not load the last 3 primers, but that's a small quirk IMHO. I usually reload several hundred in a session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom