• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    After all the debate of weather speed comes with time and if smooth is slow or not.........I think post #9 really hit it out of the park, :cool:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    After all the debate of weather speed comes with time and if smooth is slow or not.........I think post #9 really hit it out of the park, :cool:
    Whatever doc holiday..

I think you scared the op.. haven't posted back.

Edit. I guess I miss the post 9.. timer thing I agree.. but better have somebody press it than a set time to go off on a set delay..

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Whatever doc holiday..

Edit. I guess I miss the post 9.. timer thing I agree.. but better have somebody press it than a set time to go off on a set delay..

shot timers have a randomizing start time...

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Maybe, or he's just got more work to do than i do....

If he wants to get fast, I suggest talking to the fast guys. Go to your local match and ask them what they did to get where they are. If he's into competition I'd recommend checking out USPSA too, and do the same. I think you'll find a lot of Masters and Grand-Masters probably don't buy into the "speed come with time" theory. In some circles it's really kind of become a running joke.

The OP really needs to know what he wants to get out of shooting and how much he really wants to put into it. You can make it pretty far with the right approach even on limited time.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Maybe, or he's just got more work to do than i do....

If he wants to get fast, I suggest talking to the fast guys. Go to your local match and ask them what they did to get where they are. If he's into competition I'd recommend checking out USPSA too, and do the same. I think you'll find a lot of Masters and Grand-Masters probably don't buy into the "speed come with time" theory. In some circles it's really kind of become a running joke.

The OP really needs to know what he wants to get out of shooting and how much he really wants to put into it. You can make it pretty far with the right approach even on limited time.

When I started.. I did both uspsa and idpa.. totally different monsters..

Idpa.. pretty much set stage.. ie.. where you starting.. where you going to shoot from... Etc.

Uspa.. here where you start.. after the beep.. you're on your own .. as long you don't go out of the "box"

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    When I started.. I did both uspsa and idpa.. totally different monsters..

Idpa.. pretty much set stage.. ie.. where you starting.. where you going to shoot from... Etc.

Uspa.. here where you start.. after the beep.. you're on your own .. as long you don't go out of the "box"

Certainly very different in how the games are played. But the end goal of shoot the middle of the target faster than everyone else is still the same. USPSA rules structure seems to attract more competitive minded people, which leads to a higher skill level. In most cases there is a big gap between a IDPA MA and a USPSA GM

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Disagreeing with most of the above disagreement ( except the part about matches not presently being practice).

I haven't see the the OP shoot yet either . But from his first post I'm picking up on inconsistent grip, and shots going all over the place .

* As I'm interpeting * , the OP needs to first concentrate on the basic fundamentals. Establishing grip , trigger control , and appropriate sighting practices . Establish the marksmanship basics and smoothness until second nature at leisurely pace , then gradually speed up .

If I'm wrong, and OP can shoot knats at slow fire already , then instead try the above advice .

This is probably accurate. I'm usually okay with the fundamentals in practice standing 10 yards away with no one looking and no timer. I'll stress okay.
    Not bad but not great either. Add in spectators, timers, running around, moving targets. Well, then it all goes to heck.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    Whatever doc holiday..

So, I'm not sure of your competition credentials, but do realize you are arguing with one damn near GM Master class USPSA shooter and the other a Master class USPSA shooter. They are both excellent competitors and have a ton to offer on the competition aspect of shooting. I would soak in their knowledge on the competition front as they speak the absolute truth.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So, I'm not sure of your competition credentials, but do realize you are arguing with one damn near GM Master class USPSA shooter and the other a Master class USPSA shooter. They are both excellent competitors and have a ton to offer on the competition aspect of shooting. I would soak in their knowledge on the competition front as they speak the absolute truth.
    Let me repeat.. the op is new to the sport.

So you telling me.. if you're not "expert" you can't help the op with basics of idpa?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    This is probably accurate. I'm usually okay with the fundamentals in practice standing 10 yards away with no one looking and no timer. I'll stress okay.

Not bad but not great either. Add in spectators, timers, running around, moving targets. Well, then it all goes to heck.

Peer pressure can be a pain..

When I started.. I had the same issue.. People watching me, if I would trip over something.. Miss the target etc.

Dont let that bother you much.. Just have fun and be safe with your few matches until you're comfortable. You need to buddy up with somebody in the match so it's not as stressful.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Peer pressure can be a pain..

When I started.. I had the same issue.. People watching me, if I would trip over something.. Miss the target etc.

Dont let that bother you much.. Just have fun and be safe with your few matches until you're comfortable. You need to buddy up with somebody in the match so it's not as stressful.

Thanks. I think my first step is to start practicing with a timer. I think if I hear that thing more and more it won't be such a jolt when in a competition. Sadly those darn things are really pricey. Do the apps work well at all?

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Thanks. I think my first step is to start practicing with a timer. I think if I hear that thing more and more it won't be such a jolt when in a competition. Sadly those darn things are really pricey. Do the apps work well at all?

The apps work ok for the price (free). I like IPSC shot timer app for Android. don't know what's out there for IOS.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I prefer the real thing, but the apps work good too and are free. I don't use a timer all the time anymore, but I think with the trouble your having getting used to hearing the beep will be a good thing. And starting out you really need the par time feature to help you get faster.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Add in spectators, timers, running around, moving targets. Well, then it all goes to heck.

This happens to everyone in the beginning. It is something that will improve with time, but there are ways practice it. Also, even as you get better at working under pressure this is something that can creep in on you. I can still remember the 1st time I was squadded with Todd Jarret at a match. My first stage felt like it was my first stage ever. The reality is most people aren't paying attention to what you're doing anyway. Remember that.

Wait until you make Master, and you step up to the line and hear things like "now we're going to see something" or "the fastest time so far is xx.xx". Good way to really F-with your mental game.

Anyway, working with the timer and lots of dry fire and live fire you'll get to where all those feeling disappear after the beep. Try to put pressure on yourself in practice, set hard goals to meet. Try to meet a goal 10 times in a row. You'll start to feel the pressure when you're 1-2 reps from success. Video a run and decide before hand that no matter what it's going on youtube that'll put some pressure on you. Pressure will always be there, you just have to learn to work with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom