• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    So from the looks of it the requirements for a steel challenge are pistol (or carbine), holster, 5 high cap mags, mag pouch (can two be in pockets?) and 200-250 rounds of ammo.
    Plus eyes/ears water sunscreen hat.

I've read several times now that it's probably easier to try a steel challenge for the first attempt instead of the other matches.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It's simpler, lil to no moving and fun.

Depending on the match.. yes.. mags can be in your pockets.

Oh.. bring a chair.. you spend more time waiting for your turn than shooting.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Steel Challenge is a ton of fun and a good test of fundamental shooting skills.

Though it seems it'd be quite a hike from you, there's a monthly steel match at Delta Peach Fish and Game in Delta, PA just across the state line on the 4th sunday of every month.

$15 gets you in for one gun. Open to pistols and pistol caliber carbines.

http://dpfng.com/DpMain.aspx

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County

Though it seems it'd be quite a hike from you, there's a monthly steel match at Delta Peach Fish and Game in Delta, PA just across the state line on the 4th sunday of every month.

Were you there Sunday as an RSO? Thought I saw you there..

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    There is one at Quantico in a couple weeks. I think I'll try it out. Maybe get my 14yo to go with. I should get another holster and mag pouch for him and then we can just hand the gun back and forth. Is that allowed? It sounds like there are pretty strict rules on gun handling. Unfortunately I only have one 9mm (so far) and that seems like the most logical one to shoot with. I also have a glock 22 and a couple 45's to pick from and let him use the glock 17 if sharing is frowned upon or not allowed. Sounds like I need another 9mm though.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

Closer to the op.. Sanners Lake monthly steel match (rimfire.. pistol and rifle).

http://www.sannerslake.org/Rimfire-Steel-Challenge

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    So from the looks of it the requirements for a steel challenge are pistol (or carbine), holster, 5 high cap mags, mag pouch (can two be in pockets?) and 200-250 rounds of ammo.

I've read several times now that it's probably easier to try a steel challenge for the first attempt instead of the other matches.

yes, steel challenge is a great first match. little to no movement, shouldn't have any reloading on the clock. just draw, shoot five targets, top off, holster. repeat 4 more times. then do the same on the next stage.

https://uspsa.org/viewer/SCSA_Rule_Book.pdf

if the match you do runs all 8 stages, minimum round count will be 7 stages x5 targets/stage x5 strings + 1x5x4 = 195. i'd bring an extra 100-150 just in case. might miss once or twice or 25x, plus might have to do a reshoot.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Plus eyes/ears water sunscreen hat.

Bear in mind that my post below is entirely based on my experience at the steel challenge at Delta.

The limitation on caliber is a safety matter to prevent/mitigate ricochets. For the steel used in the targets, calibers are restricted to those which will not damage the steel. When the steel is damaged, the chance of a dangerous richochet increases on the now uneven surface. So, this means non-magnum pistol calibers, and no high-speed pistol calibers like 5.7mm or 22TCM.

While a holster is recommended, it is not required. At Delta shooters without a holster can start at a low ready (45 degrees down) stance. For new shooters, or shooters unfamiliar with drawing from a holster, low ready is recommended even if a holster is on hand. Initially gaining familiarity with drawing from a holster is obviously not something to be done with live ammunition. Of course, when a shooter is ready to practice drawing with a loaded firearm, doing so with other folks present with first aid kits and phones is not a bad idea:).

For magazines, you want enough loaded rounds to get through 5 runs per station, with probably 5-7 targets. Good shooters can get by with less, while those working on their skills may need more. 5 high capacity magazines will let you start each run fully loaded and so is recommended, but not required. So that a single shooter does not hold up the action, if the shooter runs out of loaded ammunition without completing all 5 runs, the shooter is likely finished for that station.

For magazine pouches, at Delta they are helpful, but not required. Pockets are fine, but not as fast or convenient as actual mag pouches.

Eye and ear protection is 100% required, and you would not be permitted to be a participant or spectator without them. Even without the dangerous ricochets mentioned earlier, there are still bits of lead and copper splashing off the steel targets, particularly if the target is close (~10 yards). At this past Sunday's match at Delta, a ~40-60% smooshed fragment hit my forearm sleeve. The velocity and impact was about that of a well thrown acorn, so not injurious but certainly felt.

Water, sunscreen, and a hat are strongly recommended, as sunburn will not be fun for you, and heatstroke will not be fun for you or those now taking care of you. Snacks are not amiss, and something to sit upon may well be appreciated.

There is one at Quantico in a couple weeks. I think I'll try it out. Maybe get my 14yo to go with. I should get another holster and mag pouch for him and then we can just hand the gun back and forth. Is that allowed? It sounds like there are pretty strict rules on gun handling. Unfortunately I only have one 9mm (so far) and that seems like the most logical one to shoot with. I also have a glock 22 and a couple 45's to pick from and let him use the glock 17 if sharing is frowned upon or not allowed. Sounds like I need another 9mm though.

From my experiences, guns can only be handled in designated areas, again for safety. At a regular shooting range, you do not want someone messing about with their gun and sweeping you, hence rules that handling can only take place on the line, with muzzles downrange. At Delta the rule for handling is on the line and muzzle downrange (current shooter), or at the designated handling table with muzzle facing the safe direction (berm/etc.). If sharing a firearm in your case, I would recommend talking with the Range Officers so that they are aware you and your son will be sharing the 9mm, and can make sure the firearm is transferred in a safe manner.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

no mag pouches are needed if you don't reload during a string. you can lay extra mags on a table or put in your pockets etc. just enter as "limited" and you can load your mags all the way up (only ten rounds if you enter as "production"). frankly if you're taking more than 10 shots to hit the 5 steel targets, you need to really slow down and concentrate on the front sight and on your trigger control. if you have a holster for your g22 (or one of your 45's, there is a single stack division, so you're not handicapped), that would be the easiest, so each of you would have a gun, no handing guns back and forth or messing with holsters. but if it's your first match, i'm pretty sure they will let you both start at low ready and then you won't need any holsters.

basically, when you sign in, and at each stage, let them know you're new and they will take care of you. as far as safety, there will be one or two marked 'safe areas or safe tables' and that is the only place you can have your gun out of a bag or out of your holster, other than when it's your turn to shoot and the RO tells you to 'make ready.' then, keep the muzzle pointed generally downrange when your gun is out, and finger clearly out side the trigger guard (indexed along the slide is best) while drawing, reloading, fixing a jam, etc.

be safe, relax and have fun, you will have fun.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    If you are going to use a holster make sure you can draw and return the gun into the holster with one hand. Using both hands will probably get you DQ'd for a safety violation "Sweeping Body Parts"
    At one time Steel Challenge required a power factor below 150.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

What you'll have to do is bag the gun when you're done shooting, hand him the bag when it's his turn to shoot, then he bags the gun. No gun handling at Quantico outside of the safe areas, and they're at the opposite ends of the field. No need for magazine pouches, you can stack the mags on a barrel next to where you're shooting.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I guess I'll bring another gun. I asked him last night if he wanted to try it and when I mentioned it's a competition he said I don't want to go. I think being a competition made him nervous. I told him he's not trying to win, just competing against himself and the clock. This weekend I think I will have him spend some time taking it out of the holster and putting it back in making sure he doesn't touch the trigger. He seems to have a strong grasp of safety. Finger off the trigger always when we went skeet shooting and a hawk with the safety as well. I handed him the shotgun once and he was Like "THE SAFETY IS OFF".
    What's a decent belt that will work for a skinny teenager (preferably on amazon with two day shipping)? a riggers belt? I have some MCMAP belts but they are pretty flimsy. He will likely be wearing his basketball shorts with elastic waste band. I have ted blocker holsters (and leather belt) for all my hand guns and just got a safariland 5197 holster and ordered another one now as well. I kinda regret spending all that money on the leather holsters after getting this one. I tightened the retention screw enough that I am unable to shake the gun out of the holster when trying to.
    Will go pick up some chairs this weekend.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    At one time Steel Challenge required a power factor below 150.

Not familiar with "Power Factor" but I just looked up the formula. I'm guessing my 460XVR wouldn't be allowed. Maybe with 45 colt ammo? I don't have any speed loaders for it. But that might be fun to try. Hell, if I get good at it then I will take it out in the woods and shoot a deer with it. That would be a pretty expensive course and a miss from a five shooter would blow the time I think.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...WJUO&rh=i:aps,k:double+alpha+competition+belt

the dual layer belts are the best, they velcro together. inner belt goes thru your belt loops like normal, then you mount your holster and mag pouches on the outer belt and just lay it over your outer belt. thick, sturdy, easy. you can wear this without belt loops also.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Shooters-Connection-Ultimate-Competition-Belt--P4644.aspx

shooters connection is a really good place to buy competition gear. they almost always ship out same day, good prices, good service. above is their house brand belt, little cheaper but still works good.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Not familiar with "Power Factor" but I just looked up the formula. I'm guessing my 460XVR wouldn't be allowed. Maybe with 45 colt ammo? I don't have any speed loaders for it. But that might be fun to try. Hell, if I get good at it then I will take it out in the woods and shoot a deer with it. That would be a pretty expensive course and a miss from a five shooter would blow the time I think.

When I take my 6-shot revolver (ruger redhawk 45ACP/45LC) to steel challenge, I know I am having fun and taking care to place my shots well, and not competing for time with the high-capacity 9mm guns. The guys running 1911s with 7rd magazines are often in the same boat. I recall that there was a fellow who showed up one time running 44spl out of a S&W revolver.

45 colt is certainly not a cheap caliber to be buying, but if you do need to buy rather than reloading, Freedom Munitions has 50rd boxes for ~$25, which is cheaper than I have seen elsewhere.

Regular 45 colt bullets at ~250gr are only a bit heavier than standard 45ACP 230gr bullets, and running at about the same speed, so they should be allowed for use on the steel targets.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Since the entire original purpose for Steel Challenge was practice for USPSA/IPSC there are a couple of things you need to be aware off.
    1. Always shoot the smallest caliber the division will allow. Smaller means more mag capacity and faster follow-up shots. While you don't have to use 5 mags as long as you have about 50 rounds for a stage, you can just as easily use 3 17 round mags (unless you are shooting a division that limits you to 10 rds./mag).
    2. Always use the max holster you are allowed to use. Different divisions have different holster limits and rules. Don't use anything that has full time active retention (no buttons or levers).
    3. Get someone with experience to teach you how to draw properly. Shooting centerfire from low ready is not going to help your skill level to ramp up (except rimfire and PCC).
    4. Shoot the gun you are most familiar with and use regularly. If not the best teacher is the rimfire pistol which is always shot from low ready.

Now the nice thing about Steel Challenge is the stages are all the same everywhere (with some exception at the club level occasionally). So you always know where you stand skill wise. Plus you don't have to join at the club level either, you just won't get an official classification rating. Peacemaker in WV has the best matches in this area. Always all 8 stages, and you don't have to help setup or takedown anything, its just arrive, shoot, and go home. But their matches end around July due to their heavy competition schedule late in the year. Quantico is not bad although they have a more limited entry. Ontelaunee Rod and Gun Club in PA is one of the best in the US. Monthly matches leading up to the Tier 3 East Coast Steel Challenge Championship over 4 days in late September.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    While I have shot matches with 5-shot revolvers I don't recommend it for Steel Challenge if you have something that loads more. Most SC revolver shooters use 8-shot S&W revolvers in .38/.357 or 9mm ( I use a 7-shot S&W 986 in 9mm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom