• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-inspection

Once my first Garand shows up, is the guide I linked to a good inspection list? Or since it is coming from CMP, a comprehensive go over a bit much?or does the guide fall short?

My tools are a fairly comprehensive tool set, but no Garand specific tools (I do have calipers).

Also I am ordering a bound book from Brownell’s to make my life easier for when my C&R arrives. Anything Garand related I should consider? Gas plug tool needed or would a hex, torx or some other general wrench/but work fine?

Any replacement parts I should just figure on replacing no matter what CMP checked and/or replaced? Op rod spring?

Or just wait and get it and check it over and then figure out what I need? Or is an op rod spring or something else a good spare to have around no matter what?

Thanks!

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I have two cmp rifles, one came in a bunch of cosmoline and one came just about ready to shoot out of the box, the ones these days should be pretty much good to go. Clean and lube it and if you dont see anything alarming shoot it! Cmp does a good job

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Generally cmp rifles are good to go. M1s are tough birds.

You could get someone to do a full tech inspection if you want, but that is probably overkill. Check headspace, measure hammer hooks, peen gas cylinder, stuff like that.

Spare parts? I've never broken anything. Maybe a main spring, but like I said they are tough birds.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You don't need to buy a Bound Book.

There are threads discussing various formats, but whatever format you use, you can just print some pages and put them in a looseleaf notebook. Not that anybody's going to look at it.

Meanwhile, your M1 should be good to go as received. I think the little booklet they include, entitled "READ THIS FIRST" (in large, friendly letters) is an excellent, succinct Owner's Manual. It will guide you through a detail stripping of your rifle, allowing you to remove excess cosmoline. This will also familiarize you with the rifle. Hopefully you will come to appreciate the absolute brilliance of Garand's design.

You are likely to get a new stock. It might need a little bit of wood removed in spots. There is information here and elsewhere about that. It will also need about a dozen more applications of either Pure Tung Oil (NOT "Tung Oil Finish") or linseed oil.

You will need to grease your rifle. Google "M1 Grease Points." You can use plain wheel bearing grease from WalMart, or genuine Lubriplate, or something like Tetra Gun Grease.

I like to keep a Garand combination tool in the buttstock compartment.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    White lithium grease okay on it? It is my go to unless I have something that eirhter needs oil or extremely high or low temperature needs.

For linseed oil, is BLO okay? I’ve got a quart of it sitting around.

Thanks everyone!

I am maybe almost as excited as each time my wife went in to labor. Probably more anticipation than waiting for her to walk down the aisle. All of those took less time than the wait now. Maybe I’ll try to convince my neighbor (well any of them! I am the only idiot in my neighborhood without a Garand it seems) to go out for a WWII shoot with me to the range. I can bring my carbine, he can bring his Garand and then we can do a little partner swap for a bit. Try to tide me over some.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    A lot of the latest Garands are Turkish returns and there are many posts on the CMP forum about them being quite dirty, I recommend a full disassembly to clean and lube before shooting.

Orlando

At the minimum the rifle should be Field Stripped, parts inspected, cleaned and properly greased. Any quality wheel bearing grease is overkill for lubing the Garand. No need to go out and buy small tubes of so called high tech gun grease
    Inspect the op rod spring, it should have no bends,kinks and measure 19-20 1/4 inches long.
    Orion 7 and Garand Gear sell good replacements
    The first thing I do on any Garand I buy is replace the op rod spring no matter what it looks like or measures. Its cheap insurance

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It will come with one enbloc. If you buy anything, buy a few more of those. Lift up the foam in the case and it should be there along with other stuff like a sling (if they are still shipping with slings).
    All my CMP garands were good to go when received and so should yours. You can confirm this but I believe they test fire before they are done going over the rifle. .
    It would not hurt to grease it where needed w/o breaking it down first before firing.
    My opinion is to shoot first and see how it operates. Get some Greek HXP ammo they sell. If not, make sure what ever you buy is usable with a Garand. (research is needed there).
    Yes, its good to be able to field strip but in my opinion, if you are just starting out, its better to shoot it to make sure its functioning before you break it down. Your call there.

That's my opinion and take everyone's with a grain of salt and make your own decision.

Watch some videos on loading it so you don't get "garand thumb". Learn how to clear the weapon also

Orlando

All my CMP garands were good to go when received and so should yours.

This is incorrect. CMP does test fire a few rounds but they do not prep the rifle for range firing. They do not tear down the rifle and inspect every part. The check headspace, fire a few rds .
    Some rifles will come completely dry with absolutely no oil or grease.
    Field Strip
    Inspect
    Clean
    Lubricate
    Take to range and have fun

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That "Read This First" booklet will show you how to field strip it as well as detail strip it. I have seen CMP Garands caked with cosmoline and I have seen them bone dry. So strip it, clean it, and lube it.

You need more than one clip. CMP sells them in the e store. You need ammo. HXP surplus is good. American Eagle and Prvi have Garand safe ammo.

When shooting any semi auto for the first time I always load a single round instead of loading the magazine.

Bottom out the rear sight, then come up 8 clicks. That's a good guess for elevation at 100 yards.

There are several ways to single load an M1. They make single shot loading devices called SLEDs. I've never used one.
    Some people stick an empty clip in the magazine, then slip one (or two) rounds into the clip.
    Some people just stick a round in the chamber and let the bolt slam shut on it.

The way I single load: I lock the bolt open. I place the cartridge about halfway into the chamber, ease the bolt
    forward maybe halfway, then release it to slam shut the rest of the way.

(Why am I struggling to write all this on a phone?)

There is a method to working the bolt.
    TO BE CONTINUED

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This is incorrect. CMP does test fire a few rounds but they do not prep the rifle for range firing. They do not tear down the rifle and inspect every part. The check headspace, fire a few rds .
    Field Strip
    Inspect
    Clean
    Lubricate

I stand corrected then. I guess I was lucky. All 3 I have gotton over the years shot fine a couple trips. I stripped them a couple trips out to lube.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks guys. Good reminder on loading a single round first. That has always been my test method for every new to me gun. Single round in magazine, let the bolt load it home and fire. Then load two rounds in the magazine, fire both. Then max load it and go to town. One of these times I’ll forget.

The first 3 rounds there I don’t bother to sight in with, just function check. A little harder to load only two rounds with a Garand, but yeah I’ll probably pick up a 1, 2 and 5 round enbloc.

Also yes to Field stripping and general check.

I may be getting excited. This stuff showed up the last two days.

Also money is a little tight, mostly because I am also trying to pick up a Yugo M57 and maybe a Radom P64 or Cz50 or all three once I get my C&R in the next few weeks.

So odds are good I’ll end up getting just a few boxes of M2 Ball. Depending on who I buy it from (SGAmmo or Graf’s) 3-4 boxes of S&B or PPU or 1-2 boxes of each. Don’t need a ton right now, I am thinking 60-80 rounds should be fine for the moment.

Especially since I’ll probably be buying a box or two of 7.62x25 (I have one box of PPU 85gr JHP on an ammo order a few weeks ago since I am positive I want to pick up an M57) as well as a box or two of 9MAK and/or .32acp.

Also with those I don’t plan to pick up a lot of ammo. Just enough to function check them really. I’ll worry about piling it higher and deeper in a few months, next year, whatever.

Doesn’t look like CMP has an HXP right now. I was going to order a 200 round can.

Attachments

• 6036DFDE-99CF-4B1A-8343-560678C80625.jpg
      6036DFDE-99CF-4B1A-8343-560678C80625.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 140

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Field Strip
    Inspect
    Clean
    Lubricate
    ^^^^ This

Page 1A of the CMP order form:
    I also acknowledge that the rifle which I am applying to purchase is a military surplus arm in used condition and is sold to me strictly
    “AS IS”, WITH NO WARRANTY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. I understand that:
    1. This rifle may not function properly or be safe for me to use in the condition in which I receive it.
    2. This rifle is not to be fired until it has been disassembled and cleaned, thoroughly examined by a competent gunsmith
      familiar with its internal mechanism and safety features, and any unserviceable parts replaced or other deficiencies
      corrected.
    3. The use of ammunition that does not meet U.S. military standards in this rifle can be dangerous.

Edit: The M1 Garand was designed to work in trench warfare. It's a beast that is hard to bust. It might work fine as shipped, but will definitely work better once cleaned and lubed.

Last edited:

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    CMP ran out of HXP Ammo last year if I remember correctly. You can find it at gun shows for double what they were selling it for. CMP does sell the Sellier & Bellot and some match grade Ammo that will work in your M1. PPU Ammo can be found multiple places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom