• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Well - the flag was run up the pole, but no salutes. :) So much for that.

Good ideas are always worth sharing. If for no other reason than they may spark other ideas. :thumbsup:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Think how Maryland would be viewed by the rest of the country if (the extreme scenario happened) they banned private hunting and created state sponsored hunting in it's place. I think it would do more to damage their image than good. I also think it would activate and embolden resistance to anti-gun 2A legislation.

The people who pass and support such laws don't care. They are cultish ideologues. What many of them long for is an authoritarian, Gaia-centric theocracy.

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    try telling maryland hunters that feed their family by hunting to stop. i didn't know how prevalent that was here until a couple visits to the gun shop. one dude also used a bow he was mad as f^^k he missed that deer. and although i could relate; i was happy for the deer. not even going to lie. lol the best way to deal with the cronyism that has ruined so many things for md. residents is to make sure all politicians who need to be elected will not be and show them. unless the people can back up their words and express their wholehearted displeasure by a show of force (voting the out) it will be business as usual here for those terrorocrats we call politicians just as it is in most other places where the sheeple freely go to slaughter based on their fears incited and contrived by their shepherds. ijs

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    try telling maryland hunters that feed their family by hunting to stop.

You're right - they won't stop hunting in MD unless PA or WV is really close as an alternative. Maybe they are already hunting there as well.

I'll say this; if we can say no to shopping at Dicks for what they stand for, I still don't see any issue with refusing to buy a MD hunting license. My opinion.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Wouldn't it be smarter for all of us to get a MD hunting license and hugely increase the number of licenses issued? Might make the MGA less inclined to pursue additional anti-gun legislation if a big lion roars back instead of a tiny cub.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wouldn't it be smarter for all of us to get a MD hunting license and hugely increase the number of licenses issued? Might make the MGA less inclined to pursue additional anti-gun legislation if a big lion roars back instead of a tiny cub.

That's a good point, I guess when it comes to tactics, there are other options besides an all out hunting license boycott. But I still don't see why hunters are not throwing their weight around as they are everywhere and on both sides of the aisle. I see a trend of hunters coming together more with the tacticool crowd as the rhetoric gets more and more extreme from the left. Also, the AR15 is becoming (has become) more mainstream.

Stagstalker

Jan 15, 2017
    The cesspool of MD
    Tip my hat to ya dreadpirate for the idea but, I tried years back to start a boycott for just 1 season and that was for getting a reg change that benefited hunters. Cost of license increase almost yearly because hunting is on the decline for many reasons..cost and economy the biggest. Hunting is a heritage for most, serious family time, 2A and healthy life style, friendships. Most everyone on this side the ditch arent really fudds, rather "not one inch", but many have lost hope in representation as with other matters. Also asking folks to boycott hunting would be heavier than asking those here to boycott gun sports...put your guns in the safe, dont fondle, buy, no range time, ect...we'd all lose it!
    The Hunting Coa may have a large list of emails but participation, membership and support is low, that group was desperate to brake off and try a different tactic to fight legislation, now hard feelings and hard heads keep them from uniting with others...for the most part.
    I think the best use of resources would be finding good folks willing to represent us and get them to office. I think once some of the corruption in gov is destroyed, good folks might be willing to make a difference. Now is the time to prepare for it, seek them out, encourage and support them.

crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    If you don't hunt in Md and don't get younger people involved then they are not introduced to guns, have no experience / interaction with them and will have nothing but the anti's propaganda to believe. The 2A dies out from lack of participation and no positive experiences.
    How many of these students marching on Washington do you think have had ANY positive interactions ( other than video games) with a firearm.
    Riflery was a gym elective when I was in 8th grade (1975) taught in school with pellet guns, and was so popular kids were turned away. This was in Harford Co. Md. I can still remember that sinking feeling when my card was passed back the aisle to me.
    I don't think stop hunting in Md. is a viable alternative to our rights being restricted.

My first thought as well. My earliest expirences wih firearms were hunting with my dad. The first training I ever took was a hunter safety course. I think this would be a cutting of your nose to spite your face sort of scenario.

crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    If you don't hunt in Md and don't get younger people involved then they are not introduced to guns, have no experience / interaction with them and will have nothing but the anti's propaganda to believe. The 2A dies out from lack of participation and no positive experiences.
    How many of these students marching on Washington do you think have had ANY positive interactions ( other than video games) with a firearm.
    Riflery was a gym elective when I was in 8th grade (1975) taught in school with pellet guns, and was so popular kids were turned away. This was in Harford Co. Md. I can still remember that sinking feeling when my card was passed back the aisle to me.
    I don't think stop hunting in Md. is a viable alternative to our rights being restricted.

You’d be surprised how much money hunting liscens s generate. As a mountain biker that number is thrown against us all the time whenever there is a situation with user group conflicts. Hunters end up funding a good portion of our parks system.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My first thout as well. My earliest expirences wih forearms we’re hunting with my dad. The first training I ever took was a hunter safety course. I think this would be a cutting of your nose to spite your face sort of scenario.

If hunting declined even more that it already is in Maryland, it will make the libtards running this state even more determined to infringe on our God given rights.

Besides, as fvcked up as the gun laws are on Maryland, the Maryland game and fish laws are actually quite reasonable and grounded in science...

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Boycott Schmoycott

Boycotts have very little chance of succeeding unless (1) they are excuted in support of a demand, (2) that demand has a reasonable prospect of succeeding, and (3) the boycott will inflict significant pain on the opponent. None of those condiitions seem to be met in this instance.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Nope, I like my venison, and the out of state stuff relies on actually having a place to hunt at that is not full of other hunters. While there is plenty of vast public hunting lands in WV and parts of PA, it's a bit far to go to. I also trap in-state. To trap out of state requires a more pricey lisc, and if you are not near the state border, you may have to spend even more money to stay somewhere for your trapping "vacation". I used to trap in PA, but I lived 1 mile from the border then.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Boycotts have very little chance of succeeding unless (1) they are excuted in support of a demand, (2) that demand has a reasonable prospect of succeeding, and (3) the boycott will inflict significant pain on the opponent. None of those condiitions seem to be met in this instance.

I respectfully do not agree. I'll explain.

(1) What's the demand ? No hunting in a state with a so-called assault weapons ban. Not unreasonable in my opinion. Who here thinks that an "assault weapons ban" does any good?

(2) What do I expect? A warning to other states they should expect resistance if they follow suite. I also expect pressure to be put law makers from those businesses that benefit from hunting.

(3) Consequence? I think the potential economic domino effect of a hunting ban is significant.

And finally, those that depend on hunting can still do so. This is not a labor union; if you need to makes ends meat, then by all means. The majority could take our money elsewhere.

NOW - I will concede doing this does hold the natural habitat hostage. Not good, but you know what? The other side is fighting dirty when it comes to destroying our 2A rights. Tough choces may have to be made.

Not to mention that I can't seem to convince anyone :)

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I just think the only thing that would be harmed by your plan is the wildlife and game management. Hunter license fees are miniscule in the grand scheme of things. The state would just increase some tax to recoup it and then hunters may end up forfeiting control of public land access. The birdwatchers, horse riders, hikers, and anti hunters would be glad to see less competition on state land. There just isn't enough leverage for the threat to be effective.

And as Foxtrapper points out, hunting costs would increase significantly for hunters. Out of state license fees, travel and lodging expenses, lease costs (unless hunting already crowded public land). Also more time traveling, less time hunting. I can't think of anybody in my circle of hunters that would be willing to quit hunting in MD in protest.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Well here's a question for you guys, if hunters are the minority and irrelevant, then why did O'Malley go to a lot trouble to send hunters a letter and let them know that his "gun control" legislation would not impact them?

To use them as gun owning, card carrying NRA members, that support his gun grabbing efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I buy a hunting license every year but for the last two years I didn't even get out there (that's my own dumb fault - but the squirrels that I usually amuse didn't seem to miss me). I sort of figured that by buying a license I was supporting hunters, hunting and the wildlife.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I buy a hunting license every year but for the last two years I didn't even get out there (that's my own dumb fault - but the squirrels that I usually amuse didn't seem to miss me). I sort of figured that by buying a license I was supporting hunters, hunting and the wildlife.

I am not suggesting we boycott hunting EVERYWHERE. I am suggesting that we support hunting in places that support 2A rights, and we start with avoiding states with so-called "assault weapon" bans.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You guys talk about being able to take your children out hunting. It has been suggested here that if Maryland lawmakers had their way, they would ban hunting and leave hunting up to LE agencies. Sit here and do nothing, and that's exactly what's going to happen slowly over time like a frog in boiling water. Sounds crazy? Go the Local 2A forum and read the threads of what's currently in store this year. Go listen to what the Maryland Shall Issue president has to say. I think a sense of urgency is very appropriate.

I think hunters, if they organized themselves, could in fact take on a more activist role. They could better inform the public of reasons why we have hunting and how it supports conservation (a message that social media and main stream media suppress). This gives hunters and hunting more legitimacy in the eyes of the public, and enables hunters to put pressure on locales that infringe our 2A rights by banning so-called "assault weapons". In times like these, when our 2A rights are being so bitterly attacked, I think all options need to be on the table.

Where allowed to, we should use AR15-based rifles to hunt (e.g., 300 black, 6.5 grendel, etc.). Why? Because the AR 15 needs to continue to become mainstream. If it's used for hunting, that makes it more difficult to label it as a para-military rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom