• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Does anybody feel comfortable with .300 BO AR lightweight barrels? It would appear safer to me to have a heavy barrel with this more powerful load.
    Also, wouldn't the .300 lightweight barrel allow for more recoil than heavy?

Note: I'm talking about 8.5" length barrel.

Couple things. 1) Velocity of the 300 AAC (supersonic) is roughly half that of a standard 5.56 round. 2) A heavy barrel (if you can find a decent one) will dampen recoil due to it's greater mass as compared to a light barrel, albeit, ever so slightly. 3) Shorter barrels tend to have lighter recoil. Because of their shorter length, less energy is built up before the round leaves the barrel.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Couple things. 1) Velocity of the 300 AAC (supersonic) is roughly half that of a standard 5.56 round. 2) A heavy barrel (if you can find a decent one) will dampen recoil due to it's greater mass as compared to a light barrel, albeit, ever so slightly. 3) Shorter barrels tend to have lighter recoil. Because of their shorter length, less energy is built up before the round leaves the barrel.

outrider: Thank you for response, If I am reading your post properly, it seems that you made an argument more for a lightweight barrel, than heavy, because of velocity factor and short barrel effects. Did I read it right?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    outrider: Thank you for response, If I am reading your post properly, it seems that you made an argument more for a lightweight barrel, than heavy, because of velocity factor and short barrel effects. Did I read it right?
    Not exactly. Velocity has nothing to do with barrel weight. That is a barrel length issue. The shorter the barrel in a given round equals lower velocities equals less recoil.
    Some people feel a heavy barrel is required on a 300 AAC because it is possible to chamber and fire a 5.56/.223 through a blackout barrel even though no one in their right mind would try such a fool thing. I'll leave that decision to individual preference. My other point was, 300 AAC is a medium velocity round and considered by most to be a 'pistol' cartridge. The recoil is rather tame, especially in subsonic loadings, in comparison with the 5.56. Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why would you (or others) consider 300 Black a pistol cartridge? Velocity? Not saying your wrong, as 300 Black supersonic can be, well, just above supersonic velocity :) Just never looked at that way.
    One reason, you load the cartridges with pistol powders mostly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ADCOLE

Apr 29, 2014
    Upper Marlboro
    I am looking to purchase this firearm out of state.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-300-whisper-0

Would it be legal to bring it back to Maryland over summer break? I would leave the 30round mag at my out of state residence and bring only 10 round mags

Thanks

Unless S&W changed the barrel design, that is not a HBAR barrel and it should come up as being restricted if you try to purchase that riffle.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Unless S&W changed the barrel design, that is not a HBAR barrel and it should come up as being restricted if you try to purchase that riffle.

Nope.

It is a caliber other than 223/556. He can legally buy it out of state and bring it back. The HBAR rule applies only to the 223/556, because back in 1994, the Colt Sporter HBAR was only chambered in 223/556. IIRC, Colt never made an HBAR in anything other than 223/556.

ADCOLE

Apr 29, 2014
    Upper Marlboro
    Nope.

It is a caliber other than 223/556. He can legally buy it out of state and bring it back. The HBAR rule applies only to the 223/556, because back in 1994, the Colt Sporter HBAR was only chambered in 223/556. IIRC, Colt never made an HBAR in anything other than 223/556.

Why is it restricted upon trying to purchase? Ran into this issue several years ago when trying to purchase just the upper. I was told the barrel was not HBAR and it could not be shipped to the state of Maryland. I ended up purchasing the upper from another state but has since changed out the barrel with a Blackhole Weaponry Barrel. The S&W barrel begin to taper after the gas port consistently to the muzzle.

Attachments

• S&W.jpg
      S&W.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 146
    Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Why is it restricted upon trying to purchase? Ran into this issue several years ago when trying to purchase just the upper. I was told the barrel was not HBAR and it could not be shipped to the state of Maryland. I ended up purchasing the upper from another state but has since changed out the barrel with a Blackhole Weaponry Barrel. The S&W barrel begin to taper after the gas port consistently to the muzzle.

From my experience you can’t buy anything from Gallery of Guns. Here’s a screenshot of me trying to buy a Taurus Judge revolver. Restricted.

Attachments

• 7C79D1EC-FCE1-4FF9-AF6C-E5802C5563BB.jpg
      7C79D1EC-FCE1-4FF9-AF6C-E5802C5563BB.jpg
      91.8 KB · Views: 154

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Go to Duffy’s, The Gun Shop, Engage, or any of our other IPs. They’ll cut through the BS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom